Talking with your eyes closed

I’m curious about something.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people, when they talk, especially at the beginning of a sentence or for a significant pronouncement, will have their eyes closed as they speak.

Presumably there will be some Dopers who do it. I’ve seen it a lot in Brits, not so much in Americans, though I don’t think it would be a cultural thing. I even have a friend who does it, but I haven’t asked him about it, as it seems like a bit of a weird thing to bring up in conversation.

Anyways, I was wondering if there’s any particular reason for it. If anyone here does it, why do you do it? Are you aware that you’re doing it?

Is it completely involuntary, like a nervous tic? Is it a deliberate emphasis?

Hope someone here has some insight. Pun not intended.

Since I have noticed no such thing, I cannot help you. My suggestion is that you do a somewhat more complete study of the phenomenom before you seek out reasons; my guess is that you will find that the overwhelming majority of people don’t do this at all, and of those that seem to do it, only a few will do it consistently.

Well, I wasn’t suggesting everybody does it. Just that some do it. I know they do, because I’ve seen them do so.

I’m not sure what the point of your reply is.

I’ve definitely noticed some people doing it, and once you notice it, you can’t un-notice it. My work colleague is one of them. He also seems to insert long pauses in his sentences, which usually coincide with the closed eyes. It seems to be when he is thinking about something complicated or trying to recall details. Or pontificating over some point that I have lost interest in.

As to why, I really have no idea. So that doesn’t really answer your question.

I have also noticed, fairly recently in fact, that I also close my eyes as odd times. Not while I’m talking, but when I’m in the shower, brushing my teeth, or using a hairdryer. I’ve been trying to figure out why, but so far, it’s a mystery to me. I’ll let you know if I figure it out.

I do this a lot when I’m trying to gather my thoughts. I’ve been trying not to do it so much because it’s probably pretty distracting to others to have your eyes closed for half the conversation.

I do it occasionally, but only when I’m trying hard to concentrate or remember something.

Ditto. Somebody walks in with a detailed question about topic X, which I haven’t dealt with in 3 months, and interrupts me when I’m deeply into working on topic Y, Z, and A, each unrelated to the others.

Stop, close eyes, try to page out the current stack frame for each of Y, Z, and A, then pull in X from long term storage, then all the crap connected to X, then play back the question & try to formulate a response. Works better eyes closed.

Or it’s an irritating affectation I’ve picked up. Take your pick.

I have a hard time getting sentences out sometimes. Not stuttering, just decoding all that thought into verbal communication. I’ve never thought about the eye-closing thing. I think I do, in fact, close my eyes when trying to get sentences out sometimes. I’ll have to pay more attention. Interesting.

I wonder if it’s along the same lines as when you are talking to someone and trying to remember something you look down and if you are trying to make something up you look up. Closing your eyes seems similar to these as you are trying to remember or formulate what you’re going to say.

I think it’s probably a mostly subconscious thing that people do. I don’t mind if it’s a momentary thought-collection thing, but if people do it for extended periods, or often, it’s kind of unnerving.

I don’t know if it’s her acting style or if she’s trying to remember her lines but Kelly Monaco does it all-the-time on General Hospital.

Personally, my memory is very visual. I remember things by recalling a page in a book or a screen on the computer. Closing my eyes turns off what my eyes see, in favor of what my inner eye sees. If I leave my eyes open, the images are superimposed, which is confusing.

p.s. don’t ask me to remember something while driving. Thanks.

My wife tells my that I close my eyes every time I take a bite of food. I myself have no idea I’m doing it until she points it out.

I also realize this information in no way helps answer your question. :frowning:

In some cases, I think some people do it because they aren’t comfortable making eye contact during a conversation. I hate talking to people and having them look off over my shoulder the whole time, so I tend to look at their faces when I talk. Some people have closed their eyes in response. It’s very weird.

Sometimes I start talking before the voices have finished telling me what to say. Closing my eyes helps me concentrate.

I think it sort of shut down one stimuli, you can concentrate on the other.
How about the few times (or maybe it’s just me) someone is trying to remember how a certain song goes, so they put their fingers in their ears (and sometimes in addition they close their eyes) if they are in an area with noise (people talking or radio is playing)
Sometimes I shut my eyes, if the other person is staring into mine as we speak, and i am not as comfortable to stare at theirs. I either look away, or to be less rude, i just close them as if i’m remembering something.

Charles Schulz apparently noticed it too, because Peanuts characters do it, usually while holding up one finger.

Wow. When I don’t have anything to add to a thread, and I’m not interested in the topic, I usually just refrain from posting. But hey, that’s just me.

I have a friend who closes her eyes when she talks. Usually just at the good parts of telling a story. I don’t even think she knows she is doing it. So with her I think it is a visual emphasis on what she is saying.

Tru dat, wheel. :slight_smile:

I do it since I became easily distracted and lose my current thoughts. This way I actually start to say what I wanted and can usually get through the complete thought. I have to ask the checkout person to please not chat to me while I try to pay or we’ll be there a long time. Before this I never did it because I was good at multitasking and having a crowd of people all waiting for their questions to be answered was not a problem.

I do this. It’s usually because I’m experiencing some serious visual distraction and closing my eyes is the only way to blot that out to gather my thoughts.