"Easter Eggs" in Movies and TV

Perhaps “Easter Eggs” is the wrong name for it, but what I love catching, and am proposing this thread be about, is the subtle references you can miss without spoiling the storyline but which will make you chuckle if you catch them. I’ll start it with three aexamples:

1. In one of the latest James Bond 007 films, the protagonist is required by the plot to slip into Cuba sub rosa. In response to a line questioning what he’ll do if caught, he says he will pass himself off as an ornithologist specializing in Cuban birds. The gimmick here is that Ian Fleming originally named his spy character as a tribute to his friend James Bond, an ornithologist who specialized in Cuban birds (and who liked his martinis made a particular way).

2. In one episode of “Picket Fences”, the local judge, played by Ray Walston, expresses incredulity at people’s willingness to believe in UFO’s, making reference to 'Next thing you know, they’ll be claiming there are Martians walking around." The role that brought Ray to widespread public notice was “Uncle Martin the Martian” on “My Favorite Martian.”

3. When a movie version of “The Beverly Hillbillies” was made, three of the four actors who had played the lead characters were not available, and all four roles were recast. However, the plotline required the characters to consult a private detective, and they were duly directed to Buddy Ebsen’s character Ben Matlock, cameoed from tht TV show. The humor value here is of course that Buddy Ebsen was the original Jed Clampett in the “Beverly hillbillies” TV series.

Got other examples of this sort of thing – subtle allusions to something you might or might not know outside the ‘universe’ of the storyline?

Not sure if it is subtle, but in the episode of My Name is Earl were Earl becomes an appliance salesman many of the actors were in the movie Rudy and the show parodies the movie.

Matlock was played by Andy Griffith.

Ebsen played Barnaby Jones.

In NCIS DiNozzo played by Michael Weatherly says something like “That has as much chance of happening as I have of dating Jessica Alba.” Michael Weatherly was dating Jessica Alba.

Last week’s episode of Supernatural was called Jump The Shark. Sam and Dean ate at at Cousin Oliver’s Diner :smiley:

In NCIS Gibbs was doing a crossword puzzle, one of the clues was Medical Drama: answer *Dinozzo *gave was Elsewhere. Mark Harmon was on St. Elsewhere.

In the first Pirates of the Caribbean, a few guys in the jail are trying to lure a dog with a key in his mouth closer to them with a bone - a scene directly out of the ride. Jack Sparrow says to them “You can do that all day and that dog is never going to move.” Funny line considering that the ride has been open for decades and the dog is still just sitting there.

There’s also a scene in the third one where the screen goes black and you hear a bunch of noises and people yelling - directly taken from the ride, as well.

In Christopher Reeve’s Superman, the first time in Metropolis he sets out to change to his Superman outfit he gives a long look at one of those phones on a pole - an obvious reference to Superman changing in a phone booth.

I am not sure if this is concidered common knowledge or not, but most movies, certainly the most well-known ones, on IMDB.com has its own trivia page. These trivia pages typically have tons of easter eggs like the ones in the OP.

In fact, I’ve made it a habit to read the trivia page after any movie I watch. Very addicting.

This isn’t an Easter Egg as defined by the OP and there’s no reference to any past work but it is definitely very subtle.

In Sixteen Candles the scene where Long Duck Dong is eating dinner with the family he is holding a pair of forks and using them as chop sticks.

In my dozens of viewing of this film, I just noticed this a couple of weeks ago.

The correct term is “in-joke.”

Here’s a famous one. In Third Rock From The Sun, Dick meets The Big Giant Head at the airport

BGH (William Shatner): It was a horrible flight! There was a man on the wing of the plane!
Dick (John Lithgow): The same thing happened to me!

William Shatner was in the Twilight Zone episode where a man sees a gremlin on the wing of his plane. John Lithgow was in the movie remake.

David Bianculli, the former TV editor for New York’s Daily News, came up with the term “Extras.”

In one episode of The Simpsons, Lisa tells Bart about how great the Itchy and Scratchy movie was, commenting on the famous celebrities that appeared in it: “Dustin Hoffman, Michael Jackson…of course, they didn’t use their real names, but you could tell it was them.” Hoffman and Jackson both appeared on The Simpsons under fake names.

Also in Earl when they go to Frostburg, the college I went to, Randy says something about Uncle Dunkle. Dunkle Hall is one of the buildings on the campus. They also used the Frostburg symbol on the bottom of the computer that Earl had stolen. I wish they’d go back to Frostburg.

In the last season of Cheers:

[Norm, Cliff, Woody and Frasier are watching the Godzilla movies at a drive-in theater]
Cliff Clavin: So, what did I miss? Why is that girl running around screaming at everybody?
Norm Peterson: Well, she’s trying to convince them that Godzilla’s merely confused, not really trying to hurt them.
Cliff Clavin: Isn’t that the part usually played by Akira Nakamura?
Norm Peterson: Yeah, yeah, but she left half way through the Godzilla series.
Woody Boyd: I don’t understand. Why would an actress leave right in the middle of a successful series?
Woody’s line is hilarious, in light of Shelley Long leaving the series. I remember watching this episode with a bunch of friends, and no one else got the reference.

I was just watching “Phantasm II” last night, and there was a scene in a crematorium. The technician scooped the ashes out of a recent burn, and shoveled them into a baggie. The label on the baggie clearly said “Mr. Sam Raimi,” plus an address. Sam Raimi, of course, is a cult horror director, and buddies with Phantasm director Don Coscarelli…TRM

P.S. - the Lord of the Rings movies are rife with these sort of Easter Eggs, as so many lines of dialogue include chapter titles from the books (e.g., “Riddles in the Dark,” “Escape to Mushrooms,” etc…)

FWIW, “easter eggs” is the term usually applied to hidden things in the DVD - stuff like “Press the Left arrow to move the selection to “Language Selection” then wait for the rat to jump onto the stove. Press the Down arrow. When the soup pot turns pink, press Select to see an extra cartoon.”

Easter eggs used to be common in computer software as well, but died off when the Federal government demanded that all features in software that they buy and use are documented. Let’s hope they never demand such documentation for movies.

Oh, I remembered a couple more:

In “The Lion King,” Simba is talking to his Uncle Scar (voiced by Jeremy Irons). Scar is being his usual macabre self. Simba says, “You’re weird, Uncle Scar.” Scar replies, “You’ve no idea.” This is the exact line used by Jeremy Irons in “Reversal of Fortune” a few years earlier in reply to a very similar comment.

Also, in “Honeymoon in Vegas,” there is a scene with a pivotal poker game. The camera moves around the table, showing the tensions in everyone’s faces at a crucial moment. For no discernible reason, one of the poker players is Jerry Tarkanian. He is looking intensely at the table, sweating, and chomping on a linen napkin…TRM

His Girl Friday: Cary Grant says, “The last person to say that to me was Archie Leach.” That’s Grant’s real name.

Also, Grant knocks on the desk with Earl Williams inside and calls him “Mock Turtle,” Grant’s role in the Paramount Alice in Wonderland

And, of course, when Grant is describing Hildy’s fiance, he describes him as looking like “that movie actor, Ralph Bellamy.” Guess who played the role?

Green Acres: Lisa visits their senator, asking him, “What actor are you?,” explaining that all actors (Ronald Reagan, George Murphy) went into politics. The actor says, “Lyle Talbot.” Guess who played the part there.

Arrested Development had tons of these.

1. Henry Winkler jumping over a shark.
  2. Winkler’s doing his Happy Days “in the mirror” pose.
  3. It’s mentioned that guest star Charlize Theron had plastic surgery. “You should have seen her before,” then a quick cut to her as Aileen Wornoros in Monster.
  4. The narrator (Ron Howard) getting huffy when someone calls Michael “Opie.”
  5. Howard also saying that he wouldn’t stand for anyone saying anything bad about Andy Griffith.
  6. Scott Baio, who replaced Henry Winkler as the Bluth’s lawyer, saying he’s used to replacing him (he replaced Winkler in Happy Days).
  7. Many more.

When did Michael Jackson guest voice on The Simpsons? His voice is so distinct.

Another one from “My Name Is Earl”: there was an episode where they all went to work in an office as part of some scheme of Earl’s, and Darnell was the guy pushing the office supply cart around. The actor who plays Darnell had once appeared in a Staples commercial doing exactly the same thing.