Why won't you accept my prepaid credit card?

I want to give you money.
You won’t let me.

I have a prepaid credit card. So why won’t the site accept my card? It’s a PREPAID card, for Og’s sake…the money is available to you, with ZERO risk.

Details:
I have a brand new, unopened, never-used Visa Gift Card. Expiration date is 07/2009.
I typed in the card number, the 3 digit CSC code, all the other info…and the site tells me that it cannot accept this card. After my 3rd attempt, it tells me my card “has been declined–PayPal could not validate the card”.
What’s wrong with you guys? Is taking FREE, GUARRANTEED money so difficult?
Is there anything I do to fix the situation?

Let’s see how the logic works:
Money = good.
Good for Cecil, good for Chicago Reader, good for Creative Loafing, good for Bernie Madoff.

Refusing to take my money is bad.
Bad for Ch. Reader, Bad for C.Loafing…(but I suppose it would have been a good idea for Mr. Madoff.)

I want to renew my membership. You want my money. Why is this so difficult?

(yeah, I know that prepaid cards are a ripoff–that’s why I bought it! I don’t mind wasting 20% of my money. I’m losing maybe 10 bucks in stupid fees, but I’m gaining a lot of peace of mind by not exposing bank details.I never use a real credit card number online…just because of stupid problems like this. Even at a respectable web site, I never feel entirely safe.)

It’s not us, we would be delighted to take your money.

It’s PayPal.

Why don’t they take your card? I don’t know.

We can’t begin to know PayPal’s policies and why they’re doing what they do.

You’re doing this because you think PayPal is unsafe? I don’t know of any security problems within the PayPal system itself – it’s used for millions of transactions.

I had issues with PayPal and a pre-paid card as well. Basically, I had, oh, lets just say $30 on it, and was trying to spend that $30 at a website that used paypal for their credit card transactions.

Long story short, because PayPal insisted on putting an extra $1 charge on the card to make sure it was good before charging it, the card only had $29 dollars left, and I couldn’t use it at the site anymore because there wasn’t enough left on it for what I was buying.

Sure, they eventually give back the $1, but this nonsense made it impossible to spend an entire pre-paid card at the site I wanted to spend it at. In the end, I wound up borrowing someone else’s regular credit card and giving them the pre-paid card to use at the grocery store.

Now when I have a choice, I do my shopping at sites with real credit card transactions, not this PayPal bull.

No, I don’t do it because I once read their terms of agreement and there was an item I didn’t like. I would be unable to tell what it was now, but I assume I would still think the same.

Apparently, my subscription is going to expire only in two days. So, I assume I’m going to wait a little until, it is to be hoped, the issue is fixed.

Actually, my payment went through normally. I assume whatever issue there was has already been fixed.