Good OTC cream or lotion for "bandaid rash"?

Yes, you are not a doctor, I won’t take your advice seriously, yada, yada.

I suppose I could ask my pharmacist about this, but, what the hay, it’s a slow day…

One of the medicines I’m taking is in the form of a 1 day patch. Each day I remove the old one and put on a new in a slightly different location. The “old” locations are showing a slight red rash where the adhesive was.

Can anyone recommend a cream or lotion for this rash?

Thanks,
J.

p.s., bonus points to the first who recognizes this reference: “cream or lotion? They are different, you know.”

If it’s itchy, 1% hydrocortisone… but honestly, you’d probably be better off just not messing with it.

I had problems with medicine patches too. I never found something other than time to heal up the spots. It was not so much a rash as you rip off the outer dead layer of skin under the patch. I found spots of skin that could tolerate the patch better, and I didn’t remove any adhesive that stuck to my skin. I don’t think any solution has been found in the past posts on this subject.

Rubbing alcohol will usually remove any remaining bits of adhesive, FWIW. However, alcohol is not kind to skin.

I use Burt’s Bees hand salve to soothe the dry areas of my skin, but I don’t know if I’d recommend it for adhesive irritation.

Using alcohol to remove adhesive adds about a week extra to the healing process and hurts like a bugger on the oversensitive skin where the patch was.:eek:

I DID say alcohol isn’t kind to skin. I haven’t had any experience with medication patches, but I am sensitive to regular bandage adhesive, to the point where I ask for paper tape when I can. I make my own bandages from paper tape and gauze sponges at home because of this sensitivity. I find that the adhesive itself irritates my skin, and I think that removing it with alcohol seems to lesson the healing time. However, your mileage obviously varies from mine, and I certainly don’t think that you should use alcohol to remove the adhesive since you’ve found that it’s counterproductive for you.

Lynn Bodoni maybe something that is oil based will work better for you. It won’t be as harsh as alcohol and it can remove adhesive without it being a sticky smear like alcohol often does. The oil prevents dissolving adhesive from sticking back on your arm. I find Goo Gone works great on bandage adhesive.

Actually, I don’t have any problem with using alcohol on the oilier parts of my body occasionally, but then I don’t get the adhesive on me every day. I only have it when a bandage is put on me, and I don’t use medicated patches.

When I used straight rubbing alcohol on my face a couple of times a day, attempting to clear it up, then yes, I DID develop a problem. But I don’t have any complications from using alcohol every now and then. I suppose that if I used it on the dry areas of skin (mostly my feet and lower legs) then I would find it very irritating indeed. But most of my skin is pretty oily.

Goo Gone is toxic (contains fairly strong solvents) and repeated skin exposure should be avoided. If you do use it on your skin, wash the area with lots of soap and water afterwards.