Deathlands Book Series

I just read about this series of post-apocalyptic fiction on Mental Floss. It sounds interesting, but overwhelming. Is anyone familiar with it, and if so, can you recommend some stand-alone books to start with? The first one seems to be out of print, or I’d start there.

Joe

You really have to start with the first one or the rest won’t make a lot of sense. Pilgrimage to Hell sets the tone, introduces the characters, and explains a lot of what the hell is going on. You can easily find it online at Amazon or you could try paperbackswap.com and see if someone has to trade. As I recall they turn up in most used books stores often enough that I see them regularly. The series is entertaining, but does get a bit formulaic after a while.

I have read about 20 of them, including the first dozen or so. Once the core group of characters and back story is established (maybe by book 7 or 8, whenever the woman doctor joins the crew), the rest can be read out order. I recall Mars Arena is easy to follow as a standalone, although it kind of felt like I was reading a video game. Cannibal Moon could probably be stand-alone also.

This is not the series I thought it was. Maybe someone can point me to the one I’m thinking of…

It’s after a nuclear attack (I think). A guy (politician?) takes himself an a herd of followers up to Montana, stripping gold and equipment out of the area they pass through. They set up a small nation-state up there based on some pretty Libertarian ideals.

Any clue?