World's largest pane of glass?

Is this the sort of thing for which world records are kept? What/where is the largest single pane of glass?

No reason for asking; just curious.

depends how you define pane. The older telescopes would easily qualify as the largest piece of glass by volume. If you mean the flat surface area measurement that would be a different question.

I think these glass store front panesare among the largest in the world

The Sydney AU store claims to have the largest

Sydney - claimed as largest
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/7/20/02734/7310/travel/Five+Must-See+Apple+Stores+In+The+World

New York
http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-33535.html?tag=nl.e101

Those don’t look like single panes of glass. My guess is an aquarium. The viewing window at Okinawa, discussed in [thread=525210]this thread[/thread], is claimed to be the second largest, but no clues about the largest yet. The Wikipedia entry on the Georgia Aquarium says, without citation, that its large viewing window is second largest, but again makes no mention of the one that beats it.

Are those made of glass? I would be surprised if they are, I would expect them to be made of polycarbonate or some other polymer plastic

Are you sure? They look like single panes (as stated in the article) that are braced so they don’t flex.

“Music in Twelve Parts” should qualify as one of the largest pains of Glass.

Of course in the middle of the US there are Great Plains of Grass.

Stay focused, people. :wink:

Some good answers so far.

What was a moderately interesting thread has now become a large pain in the ass.

They appear to be several different pieces of glass rather than one continuous piece: http://www.bandlem.com/Xmas/2006/AppleStoreNY.jpg

It is described as acrylic glass, so it’s not “glass” glass.

IIRC, the glass used in Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion (actual glass this time) were the largest at the time, but they’ve probably been superseded by now.

Also, The New Republic was stained by Glass. The Kansas City Royals are a very plain baseball team owned by Glass. And finally, the US Supreme Court found in 1985 that Louisiana was not causing undue pain in Glass.

Probably not glass but the world’s largest viewing panel is at the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. Pretty freaking big.

The main tank at Osaka Aquarium looks pretty big.

never mind, the cite I found was bogus

This guy claims the New Jersey Aquarium has the largest single pane of glass. I have found no backup for this assertion though so take with a grain of salt.

I have seen a couple of cites stating that this ranch has the largest single pane of glass in North America. It measures 33’x10’.

Lima Peaks Ranch

There was an article in the L.A. Times a few weeks ago about the 50th anniversary of the Stahl House. It mentioned that the house was designed to use the largest size of commercially available plate glass at the time it was built. Presumably glass tech has improved some since 1959.

It’s improved a lot just in the past few years.

In 2003, 2.5 x 6 meterswas just about the biggest piece of laminated glass on the planet.

Five years later, in 2008, the laminated glass at Apple’s Sydney store is two and a half times taller.

I’m not sure how they’re measuring - probably in terms of single, non-laminated pieces - but Schottclaims several “largest” records. They say they made the largest piece of glass in the world - an 8-meter diameter telescope mirror.

And, you probably won’t catch me on the world’s largest self-supporting glass staircase. (As of 2006, at least) The ones at the Apple stores give me the willies as it is, but this one is much more open - no risers, no bolts and much less hardware to provide visual assurance that the thing isn’t about to collapse.