Can Taco Bell sauce go bad?

Simple question…Can Taco Bell sauce (Hot, Mild, Fire) go bad?

If so, after how long? I’ve got quite a few packets which may or may not be about a year old in my drawer.

Well, that begs the question: Is it any good to begin with? (NO! Accckkkk!).

Okay, serious now. I don’t know. I wouldn’t chance it. There would probably be some breakdown in the flavor quality but I doubt it would actually hurt you or make you sick.

I imagine that they would have a limited shelf-life, since they are “food” (and I use this term loosely):). If I were you, I would just toss 'em after a year, especially if they have been stored at room temperature for all that time. They are free, after all.
If they seem to be a tad inflated, definitely get rid of them, because they may be harboring bacteria.

I have mayonaise packets in my desk that are years old and I still use them on occasion. I would think that if anything was going to spoil it would me mayo. Further, I am sure that the manufacturer would be concerned enough to put expiry dates on the packages, and there are none on my mayo packs.

If there was any bacteria in there, I bet the packages would be bloated due to the gas by-product. And if the gas had leaked through some small hole then you’d be able to tell by squeezing the package.

I doubt hot sauce would ever go bad because of the high preservative/vinegar content not to mention the spicy oils. I have a bottle of Crystal hot sauce is my cupboard that has to be five years old and I have never refrigerated it. It still smells & tastes just fine every time I use it. I also never refrigerate my catsup, mustard & relish (I can’t stand ice cold catsup on my hot french fries, or a little pocket of cold catsup in the middle of a hot burger). I’d bet that if/when condiments begin to turn, my eyes or nose would have alerted me. If you’ve ever caught a whiff of tainted mayo you know what I’m talking about.

Just in time. My burritos have arrived. :slight_smile:

In short, YES.

My wife is addicted to Dell Taco sauce and we’ve actually placed an order for a case of the stuff on several occassions. Costs about $15-$20, IIRC.

The supply lasts us about a year-and-a-half, but near the end of that time, you’ll find the sauce in the packets has become thicker and of a darker consistency. Give 'em a few more months and the sauce isn’t something you’d want to put on yer chalupa, or whatever. An no we don’t place the box in a sun-filled window, but rather a cool, dry place.

Unless Taco Bell Sauce has some super-preservative ingredient, I’d assume the two are somewhat similar in terms of shelf-life.

Hope this helps.

Oh uh…I just had about 9 packets! I’ll let you know if I get montezuma’s revenge. :slight_smile:

note to self…clean out that drawer in the kitchen. You know, the one with all the soy sauce, ketchup, Roy’s Horsey Sauce…

Didja ever try to shine your pennies with Taco Bell sauce?

It’s fun! Just put a small drop of taco bell sauce in the middle of the most tarnished, nasty old penny you can find. Wait about a minute and then wipe the sauce off. Viola! Just like new!

Now enjoy your taco.

Does Taco Bell sauce have tomatoes in it? The same thing works with tomato sauce. It’s the acid in the tomatoes that cuts through the tarnish, I believe.

According to an Ann Landers (or maybe it was Dear Abby) column I read not too long ago, it would be all right to store your (commercially made) mayo in the cupboard as well, if you preferred warm mayo (ewwwwwww…sorry, that was my personal opinion, that’s all) And after all those years of suffering with Miracle Whip on my sandwiches at school because it was “safer” in an unrefrigerated locker…grrrr!

ReservoirDog:
Oh good god! For a second, I thought you said PENIS, not PENNIES.

I thought he was talking about the weiner too. Boy, does that stuff burn!

:eek:

I can tell you this:
Taco Bell keeps the boxes of sauce in the refridgerator and fills the small bins on the counters out of them.
That said, I know the kids just put new ones on top of whatever is left in there, so Lord know how long those bottom ones have been in there!