State of Play

State of Play

Has anyone seen this murder mystery/crime drama? I went through 12 pages of our lovely search function and didn’t see a discussion earlier. It was just released this week to our local Redbox so we thought we’d give it a go.

Hollywood A-list cast…Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Helen Mirren, and Ben Affleck. Check. Crime drama with plots and sub plots. Check. Political intrigue. Check. A film worthy of a second viewing. UNcheck.

There are so many plot holes and loose ends in this movie, we think that at least half of the film must have been left on the cutting room floor.

So, did Ben Affleck……hire his army buddy to kill the girlfriend?

Was the scene where the Army buddy……committed “suicide by cop” a confession?

How did Rachel McAdams……know the girlfriend’s monthly stipend? Was she directly involved in some kind of plot to “use” Russell Crowe?

Congressman Fergus (Jeff Daniels) obviously……didn’t know the girlfriend’s parents yet he still recommended her to Ben Affleck? If he was directly involved in spying on Affleck, he was never caught?

There’s more questions but my brain aches. Please tell me I’m not the only one who watched this drivel.

Yeah, it was a pretty solid movie until the obligatory twist. I have nothing else to add – I can’t answer any of your questions.

Its a remake/adaptation of a superb 6 part BBC serial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Play_(TV_serial)

Worth tracking down if you like political thrillers.

Watched it on the flight to Germany just now. Fell asleep for a few minutes about 3/4 of the way through.

My question: Why didn’t the wacko ex-soldier just kill off the Blackwater dudes? I might watch the BBC series just to see if it makes sense.

The 6-hour original is superior - the first review is about perfect: