What meat would taste good in this (spicy) dish?

Yesterday I decided to save a bit on calories and eat healthier and…well, one of the two aint bad :slight_smile:

The recipe I made up off the top of my head went like this:

– Put a half and half mix of Extra Virgin and regular olive oil in a pan and heat
– Start to fry [meat][I actually used potted chicken, cause I wouldn’t have to cook it for so long as regular chicken] in the oil
– Dust with black pepper, red pepper, chili powder, and blackening powder
– Chop up and put the following in, in order, stirring well after each and giving it some time to soften up and absorb:
---- 2 celery hearts
---- 1 whole sprig of broccoli
---- 1/2 a yellow squash
---- around 1/2 a bell pepper (I used orange but was ruined by later coloring)
---- 2 Fingerhots (not sure what the technical name is, but these are green bean-shaped peppers with a hotness slightly less than Habanero)

– After these have cooked for awhile, dust again with black pepper, red pepper and blackening powder (but not chili powder as to not overdo that flavor)
– Add some Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce (not Frank’s Original as the Wing Sauce has the sodium for the recipe as well as some oil)
– Put into serving container, and put a little Mexican Shredded Cheese blend on top.

Probably my most successful recipe yet. The only deficit in how it tasted is that the potted chicken still tasted like potted chicken even through the hotness. I just don’t have time to cook chicken for 30 minutes.

Any suggestions for an alternative meat? Perhaps shredded beef? How about shredded bison, if I can find any? I’ve only had bison once, but it would seem appropriate for this recipe, a meat whose flavor will still stand out amongst the heat and will be fatty enough to have a taste but not so fatty as to outdo the veggies.

Another caveat to those who might want to try this: the Frank’s was pretty close to overwhelming the other flavors. I’m not sure how much I used, but it was enough that it was drizzled on about like drizzles that are used for decorations on cakes. If I’d used more it would have not tasted as good, but it really worked this time, especially since I am not used to using any salt on my recipes and this had more than enough sodium for the entire meal (while not having an unhealthy amount.)

Pork. Always works well in this sort of dish. Doesn’t overpower any other component and cooks quickly.

I make something very similar(got some in the microwave right now).I use ground turkey.

What is a “sprig” of broccoli?

Good call on the pork, although I should have mentioned that pork tends to get caught in my teeth so I avoid it. Plus I don’t think it would go as good with all the paprika as the more chickeny or beefy choices, but it definitely has the right flavor intensity and fat content if you get leaner pork.

Spear? Leaf? Stalk? I used one whole stalk and everything attached to it.

I have absolutely no idea how this would work in this application, but what you’re making sounds kinda fajita-without-the-tortilla-y. Skirt or flank steak would have a good flavor, but would probably be a bit of a bitch when it comes to cooking it and not having it be tough.

I personally like putting cubed sirloin tips on very high heat. Season them right, and they’re fantastic. And if you cook 'em right–as in, high heat, less than a minute on either side–they’re like miniature steaks.