What the hell happened to Kathleen Turner's voice?

I am pleased to see Kathleen Turner on the newest season of Californication. I’ve always liked her as an actress, and it’s always a bonus to see an older actress in a good role. She’s gained a fair amount of weight, but again, it’s refreshing to see an actress who’s not a size 4 in a significant role. It has taken a little getting used to her new, erm, look, but that’s fine. I just like seeing her.

Listening to her is something else, however. In the 80s, her voice was husky but with a sultry, smokey quality…this is probably why she voiced Jessica Rabbit. Now, however, she is heavy on the “smokey”–as in, she sounds like she’s smoked 3 packs a day for the last 20 years. Her voice is so gravelly that it distracts me–I’m trying to figure out what she’s saying, and trying to get past, “Holy shit, what happened?”

But seriously–holy shit, what happened?

She hit menopause and it all went down hill from there. She might even be a man at this point.

Don’t know if it has done anything to her voice, but a fair amount of the weight gain and puffiness has been the result of steroids and other medications she takes for pretty severe arthritis.

I’m guessing the OP missed her recurring role on Friends as Chandler’s father.