so I want to make soylent green wafers for halloween...

and I have just about no idea where to start. seriously every so called recipe on the net is a joke.

green wafers that look like those in the movie (link to wiki with pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_green)

my only thought is to just go with green frosting but I would think baking it would dry it out and make it crack.
any ideas? I would prefer this be edible and not made of people…not that I cant think of a few people who I wouldnt mind getting all Dexter on but I really doubt they would taste all that good.

maybe some cookies made square somehow with loads of green food coloring?

you could, I suppose, make sugar cookies and wrap them in green fondant?

What if you melted white chocolate and added green food coloring, spread a thin layer onto wax paper and then cut it into little squares as (or right after) it cools?

Hmmm, I never saw the movie and I’m just going by the pic in the link. Maybe cornbread with a little blue food coloring? Cheap and easy to make, and not too sweet. It will be crumbly, though. Serve it with a pot of beans?

Easy - if you are in the UK, you just have to fetch a pack of this.

Spoilsport. :frowning: (I really need a new recipe, mine sucks.)

I’ll second something simple like sugar cookies or any other basic rolled cookie. Depending on what kind of cookie ya make it might be as easy to cut them after baking while they’re still warm, or not. Something to experiment with.

For the color you really want a gel/paste food coloring like this, the “Leaf Green” looks real close to the color in the pic. You’ll want to bake some samples before you decide the raw dough is the right color. IIRC the dough looked darker before baking when I did something similar.

CMC fnord!

I agree with Reply that a candy would be better than a cookie or a bread. White chocolate is a good choice, if it’ll take the colour right.

Mint chips, melted and formed, might be even better.

I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t provide the following exchange from Futurama:

Leela: “There is already a soda like that. It’s called Soylent Cola.”

Fry: “So, how does it taste?”

Leela: “It varies from person to person.”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Any cookie you make will brown around the edges and even if it didn’t it wouldn’t look the same texture wise. Some kind of candy or almond paste would be the most realistic match. I think you could get a very good likeness making cream cheese mints and rolling out the dough instead of using molds. Green colored almond bark (white chocolate) would work if you can work with it. There are also Candy Melts sold in places like Walmart.

I’d just use a strong concentration of green food coloring on Wheat Thins.
Heck, you might be able to find crackers that are green because they’re made with gren herbs or spinach or something.

Basic Cracker recipe.

Soylent Green.

Food coloring, roll them a little thick and just cook until done but not brown might work.

Soylent Green, was made of people, of course. But from the name you can guess what it was pretending to be made of–soy and lentil. So you can make crackers from soy and lentil flour. The green color was from algae. Maybe get one of those spirulina smoothies, mix in soy and lentil flour, and bake into a high-protein nutritious food, perfect for people on the verge of starvation.

White Cheddar Cheez-Its tossed with some green food coloring could work. Better yet spread them out and spray them with a spray bottle with a diluted solution of food coloring and water.

I was going to recommend this, but with saltines.

Actually, in the source novel – Harry Harrison’s Make Room, Make Room, it was made of soybeans and lentils. The cannibalism aspect isn’t in the book. They added it to the movie to make it edgier and to give the audience something to freak out about. In fact, if they hadn’t added that, they really wouldn’t have had a movie – they dumped most of Harrison’s book.

well I am going for looks more than taste/texture, I love the candy ideas. it never even crossed my mind (then again I dont bake much) but I suspect that will be the way to go to get that green plastic look from the movie.

once again thank you Dopers for doing what you do :slight_smile:

I’d make a shortbread batter dyed green and rolled pretty flat. Tasty! The pic actually looked sort of like square Communion wafers, but I’m not advocating you use the Body of Christ. Maybe you can get the recipe for Necco wafers and make something like that.

StG

These cookies would make good soylent green wafers, without the design.

Green food coloring in the dough would work, but they’d still brown. Royal icing is really easy to make and can be dyed, if you want to go in that direction.

I tried googling for a recipe myself, and this thread is the third hit on google :smiley:

These moldable candiesmight also work, if you got some green ones and white ones and mixed them together.

You could always try making macarons, the green ones I have seen are always very green, and don’t tend to brown.

Green tea ones
Pistachio ones (scroll down a little)