Are you currently underemployed? (poll)

If you meet one or more of the following criteria, we’ll consider you underemployed for purposes of discussion[ul][]You can’t get work in your chosen career, and have accepted a job in a career that pays less[]You can’t get a single full-time job and have to work two or more part-time jobs to get by[]You’re working cut-back hours, either part-time instead of full time, or fewer part-time hours than you would choose[]You work a job that pays by the assignment or by commission, and you aren’t getting enough assignments.[/ul]

You forgot “Can’t get a full-time job and only have one part-time job”

I was underemployed since 9/11.

Then they cut our hours for the week for about 6 mos.–we were free to use up our vacation/sick/personal time to make up the difference–until they decided to put the key in the door forever. We went back to normal hours for the 3 mos. notice they gave us that they were bailing.

Now I am unemployed since 4/09.

I have to get at least a part-time job to supplement unemployment because I need more every month than that. I’m not the only one with that idea, it seems…

sigh

I’ll call myself fully employed as I’m in my field. I’m about one step below where I should be and I find that very frustrating. I have this feeling like I graduated from college and then started right over again in Freshman 101.

I’ve been fortunate in that I’m doing better in my career than I ever have. Although with the health care reform issue, my career may no longer exist in a few years. I guess we’ll see what happens.

I’m fully employed, thankfully. I’m making less than optimum for my skills and experience. I’m more secure in my position than many so I’m not complaining.

How about overemployed? Doing a job that you’re not formally qualified for, and are making it up as you go?

My life just gets more and more interesting…

I’ve been unemployed since just prior to the Super Bowl. Ran out of unemployment benefits. Got them renewed. I sublet one bedroom in my condo to my roomie. That’s pretty much the only reason I can afford to live here. My mother wants me to move back home to live with her. I don’t know what to do. There just aren’t any jobs out here that I can live comfortably. I applied for a job at the mall selling cell phones for $8/hr and the guy said he couldn’t hire me because I was way overqualified. Sheesh.

Today, I get a voicemail from my landlord. She is selling my condo under the condition that the buyer be an investor and must honor my current lease. The problem is, my lease and the sublease are up on 1/1/10. My roomie has already said she’s not sure if she’s going to renew an annual lease or go month to month and wait and see.

Also, unrelated but still freakin’ serious: A good friend in FL has just emailed me yesterday to admit she has been in a horrible wreck, is still going through her ugly divorce and has all sorts of money problems. Not that I’m making her situation worse than mine, but I could sure give my friend a lot more time and attention if I weren’t going through my own crap.