Can Someone Explain Indian Food For Me?

There have been quite a few Indian restaurants opening up around here lately, or maybe I’ve just started to notice them.

Now, I know Chinese food. I know Mexican food. I know Italian food.

But Indian food is a mystery to me; other than the occasional vindaloo, or tandoori chicken, I really don’t know much about it. I went to an Indian buffet once; there were lots of foods I couldn’t identify, and salad, which I could, although there were things in it I’ve never tried. The deserts looked more like candy than desert.

What’s good to order on the menu? I like most things, but am not fond of goat, and yes, I do like spicy foods also. Can someone suggest some things they think I might like?

Indian food is easy because its all incredibly good. Especially Tandoori anything, Naan bread, basmati rice. Vindaloo whatever is always good, but varies in spicyness.

Here’s what you do:

Go to an Indian buffet at lunch time (nearly all Indian restaurants have a buffet at lunch), fill your plate with a bit of everything. Eat the stuff you like, don’t eat the other stuff. Return to the buffet and get more of the stuff you did like. Easy peasy.

Next: return to that Indian joint in the evening, and order the stuff you liked at lunchtime.

The buffet suggestion is not bad, I love surfing buffets to try new stuff since I can just get a tiny dab to decide if I like it or not. I am very careful with my diet, and buffets are a great way to not overeat =) or you can eat until you explode, your choice.:smiley:

Indian foods as served inthe US are more or less peasant food, rather than banquet set pieces. As such, think of it as the Countrytime Buffet category of food, not that it can’t be amazingly excellent, mind you.

The breads - in combination with rice is the basics of filling you up. I love garlic naan, and the thin crackery crunchy papad/papadums. Frequently you will get an arrangement of papad and relishes [green goop, brown goop and orange lumps, a mint/cilantro relish, a tamarind relish and a tomato relish] to snack on while waiting to decide what to eat. There is a yoghurt based relish that can be used in a number of applications as well, the yoghurt can take the burn off hotter foods.

The main dishes are frequently ‘stews’ of various ingredients. The flavor profiles vary from very mild through scortchingly hot, most places can tailor the heat to the person within reason though arguably it is easier to make a given dish hotter than milder if the main ingredient is peppers =) Many of the dishes are purely vegetarian, with great use of various legumes [I adore both chick peas and lentils] in combination with vegetables - potatoes and cauliflower are both used a lot. Meats are frequently chicken, lamb and shrimp. To be honest, I can not remember ever seeing beef at all, though it isnt forbidden to muslim indians … and I have seen catfish once. Personally I adore lamb, so I tend to go for lamb dishes =) Paneer [a form of cheese] in combination with spinach is fantastic, my homemade paneer is ok but I havent the knack of making it into the cute little cheese balls that is the dessert that I think you are referring to as candy [little balls in a heavy syrup?]

What you might think of doing is hitting the buffet and asking questions, most waiters I have run into are very good at explaining what the various items are, and in general the stuff on the buffets tends towards milder more americanized versions. As a starter, I can definitely recommend the spinach/paneer, deep fried cauliflower [IIRC gobi is the word for cauliflower] a samosa which is a turnover/pastry filled with various goodies, my favorite is peas and potatoes - and the tamarind brown goop relish and any form of lamb, though a tandoori chicken is quite nice as well. Don’t be afraid to look silly because asking questions is only sensible when confronted with unfamiliar foods! Go and have some fun exploring new foods.

[I adore papad, they come in packages and you can nuke them to make them <squee> … no longer stuck having to go to an indian place to get my papad fix :D]

Mmm. Butter lamb.

You mean “easy mattary.”

I think that would be a raita.

I think that would be gulab jamun.

If you’re not familiar with Indian food, I definitely recommend asking the waiter or owner for recommendations. In my experience, they will be very happy to offer suggestions on what to try. As for spicy food, buffet food is rarely very spicy, and even the stuff off the regular menu may not be extremely hot.

Chicken tikka is always a good place to start, as is dahl (daal?).

Thirding the buffet suggestion. But know that you can get better, spicier food by ordering off the menu at dinner. Our local Indian place only got a “meh” rating from me because the lunch buffet was drab, to say the least. Then we ate dinner there. That’s when the cooks broke out the serious spice. I told the waiter I wanted things “Indian spicy,” and they took me at my word! Yowza! Wonderful flavors everywhere.

I pretty much like everything. I suggest a korma for something a little less spicy (although they can kick it up if you ask). And saag paneer is one of my favorites. It’s basically cheese cubes in creamed spinach, but it tastes way better than it sounds.

I love galub jamun, but most people think it’s too sweet.

Stay away from the beef. For some reason it just doesn’t translate into Indian very well. Chicken, lamb, and shrimp are the prefered meats.

Eating Indian food differs by country, but in the UK, a typical Indian meal usually goes as follows:

Papadam are brought to the table with relishes. These are usually raita, mango chutney, and chilli or lime pickle (tangy and sharp and/or hot), and increasingly these days tamarind sauce. The intention is that you break bits off the papadam and use the teaspoons to put relishes onto the pieces, rather than dip them.

Beer is the usual accompaniment for people who drink booze. There are two popular Indian lagers designed with curry eating in mind - Kingfisher and Cobra (which is actually a UK invention). Cold lager goes sooo well with this stuff. You may also check out the lassi drinks, which are yogurt milkshakes, either sweetened or salty - the latter may be an acquired taste. Lassi helps to despice your mouth too if you’re burning up, so remember this later in the meal!

Then there are starters - stuff like onion bhajia (onions in gram flour batter) or pakora (pastries with spiced meat or veg), or tandoori (barbecue) meats, often served with a tiny salad.

More beer!

The main course, different people do this different ways. I prefer the Asian style, where a load of dishes are ordered for the table and everyone helps themselves. However, some Brits want what they want and will dump the entire dish onto their plate. Usually there’s up to one meat dish per person, and some accompanying vegetable dishes. There are too many meat dishes to explain in this post, as they can be a variety of different meats (usually, but not always, avoiding beef or pork - though IIRC the original vindaloo was made with pork) or seafood, in sauces that may be based on coconut, cream, ground almonds, tomato, chilli, of varying levels of spiciness and heat, etc. However, some of the more popular veg dishes are saag paneer (spinach with cubed halloumi-like cheese), aloo gobi (spicy potatoes and cauliflower), chana masala (garbanzo beans in a spicy tomato sauce), tarka dal (lentil curry), mutter paneer (cheesy peas). Most people, even if they keep their own meat dish, will tend to share veg dishes. Unless they’re vegetarian.

Then there are the starches that accompany the above, which are usually rice (plain boiled, pilau - mildly spiced and lightly fried, or speciality fried), and breads, of which there are many varieties: nan, which is a puffy soft flatbread cooked in a tandoor (clay oven), chapatis which are like small tortillas, paratha, which is a flaky, buttery flatbread - and others. You tear bits off the bread and scoop the curries up with that, whereas the saucy dishes are usually spooned onto rice and the two are eaten together.

More beer please.

Then there are desserts, which are often disappointing versions of British desserts, but could also comprise kulfi, which is Indian ice cream, and if you’re lucky you might get Indian sweets, which are tooth-breakingly sweet candies, usually based on sweetened condensed milk, pastry or coconut, soaked in syrup.

Then some more beer.

I have been salivating the entire time I’ve been writing this.

Glossary of curry types - that’s pretty comprehensive and is worth a look, and has just reminded me of how much I enjoy pasander/pasanda - but damn it’s full of calories.

If you want to know more about the specific spice and ingredient combinations, this site has sample recipes. Note the regionality of the dishes. Most of what I’ve been talking about is north Indian and Bengali cuisine - southern Indian curries are really, really different, and a whole nother delight.

I loves me some sweet (or mango). But I once ordered salty from a middle eastern restaurant. I don’t know if it was just them, or if they had an off night, or if was supposed to taste that way. I don’t know if I could describe the taste, but is it possible for goat ass to get athlete’s foot? Yuck.

I used to have an Indian cookbook, which was divided into seven sections by region. Some of it almost resembled Chinese food of a sort, and the Jewish section had some interesting sort of hybrid dishes. The Anglo-Indian section had what most of us would consider Indian food, and that’s pretty much what you get in the restaurants. I almost consider it to be as much British as Indian.

Only recently have I begun to get into southern Indian vegetarian and street snack style foods. They have all the addictive heat and complexity of the meat-heavy curries without the major stuffiness and richness.

A southern Indian thali will have dabs of eight or ten vegie curries, raita or yogurt, sambar (vegetable chowder), rice, pappadum, chutney and a roti (flatbread). You can stuff your face on this meal and not feel weighed down for the rest of the day.

Alternately, you can order “snacks”, which are the big hollow crisp crepes with a spicy potato onion filling, or idli, which are fluffy steamed white cakey things. All are served with coconut chutneys and vegetable chowder.

It’s yummy good eating and we’re very lucky here in Silicon Valley to have these options. Now I want some for lunch rather than the bland salad I brought with me!

My favorite food is Indian spinach curry. It’ll be on the menu as either palak or saag. You can get it with a meat in it or cheese (paneer). Just spoon it over saffron rice. (It sounds gross and looks even more so, but trust me…try it and report back!)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. Now I have to have some.

I’ve introduced friends to Indian food by ordering chicken tikka masala, aloo ghobi (potato and cauliflower dish), and saag/palak paneer with some garlic naan and basmati rice. For the most part, they all generally liked it if they were at all adventurous in their tastes. Even my mom will eat these dishes while claiming Indian food is too weird for her.

Samosas are good as an appetizer. For dessert, I’ll second or third gulab jamun, kheer (rice pudding), or kulfi (type of ice cream) with a warning that they’re really really frikin sweet but delicious.

I love salty lassi. Sigh. But no, none of my friends like it one bit.

You may also see them listed as “dosas”, and yes, they are yumful.

Me too. World’s best hot-weather drink.

I’ve been wanting to try the kind with pepper in, but I can’t get to the place very often and those mango lassis are so irresistible I haven’t done it yet…

A decade or so ago, I took a friend to an Indian place and one thing we got was saag paneer. It was a little spicy, and quite good. Since we ordered way more than we could eat, we got the rest to go. It was a few days before we could finish it up, but something happened in the meantime. The saag – somehow, inexplicably – got far more spicy. Dangerously so. We couldn’t eat it. It was like creamed fire.

Speaking of which – how does Indian food (and other foods) get spicy? This came up the other night, when a waiter asked us how spicy we wanted our dishes. We figured that every dish has a recipe. A teaspoon of this, a cup of that, a pinch of the other. That’s what gives it its distinctive flavor profile. A mild korma tastes pretty much like a hot korma, just with a difference in heat. What flavorless ingredient is added to amp up the BTUs?

Good advice above. One thing to bear in mind - the spiciness of Indian food is indeed usually toned down for the American palate. If you find yourself in an Indian restaurant in an Indian neighborhood (like Queens’s “Little India”, where I grew up), you may become painfully acquainted with what Indians consider an appropriate level of heat.