Hipster hats wiith narrow brims: what's the style called?

I’m seeing a lot of urban hipster-types wearing a certain style of hat recently. They look like derby or bowler hats, but with a flat top and a flat, narrow (about 1"/2.5 cm) brim. What kind of hat are these? I can’t stand them, but it’s probably because of their recent ubiquitousness among the hipster crowd.

Fedora (or Fedor, as my husband calls them).

They’re not fedoras. Fedoras are what the trenchcoat-wearing geek crowd seems to prefer on their heads. The hats I’m thinking of look quite comical compared to real fedoras.

Usually, I’d say if it has a flat top, it’s a pork pie hat, and if it has a crease on top and a pinched front, it’s a trilby.

I don’t know if the names are different in the US.

yep, they are porkpies or trilby’s. I can hardly wait until they blow through the style window - I’d like to be able to go back to wearing mine without feeling like a trendy douchebag…

Word.

same with hipsters

I’ll wear my trilby or porkpie, and not care if anyone thinks I’m a trendy douchebag. I was wearing them before the current trend, and I’ll keep wearing them, dammit!

Anyway…

The specific style is often called a ‘stingy’, from ‘stingy brim’.

There ya go.

I just got a Kangol Player in black - great, crushable, stingy-brim porkpie…

My late FIL had dozens of those trilby’s he wore to the CC and golfing. Funny thing, before a garage sale, we all tried them on and they were all too small! Dad usedto wear a crewcut, duh. I should’ve held a few back just for ebays sake.

Reminds me of the character Dave form 1983s Losin’ It

Reminds me of the Mingus tune, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, and the various remakes. In fact, every time I see someone with a pork pie hat on I hum that tune.

I always think of Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle in The French Connection.
http://www.baronhats.com/pd.htm

My favorite porkpie hat.

In the spirit of Fighting Ignorance - that song was Mingus’ way to say goodbye / eulogize / honor Thelonius Monk, the truly brilliant jazz pianist / composer who was famous for wearing porkpie’s.

I love Jeff Beck’s cover of that song off Wired…but given my Beck idolization, that is no surprise…:wink:

ETA: oh, and Jumpbass? I love Buster Keaton, too - but that’s a Straw Boater, not a porkpie…

Monk was indeed noted for his hats, but “Goodbye Pork Pie Hat”–which was written many years before Monk died (hell, Monk outlived Mingus)–was a tribute to Lester Young.

You, my friend, are why I am on the Dope. Just when I think I am popping in to be the Ignorance Fighter™, I get my ignorance fought.

I did not know that (and, more regrettably, did not “do the math” to see if my assertion even made sense, as you did :smack:) - “Pres” Young was a pork pie guy?

My favorite porkpie hat. Seriously, if you’re not familiar with this tune, it’s a must-listen, and comes from an absolutely brilliant album.

James Mathus was the lead singer of the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and after that project, he went back home to Mississippi and started playing more classic Delta blues-based music. As a child, his family’s housekeeper was Charlie Patton’s daughter Rosetta. Since Charlie never saw a dime of profit from his music, Jimbo recorded this album, “Songs for Rosetta”, and donated all the proceeds to her and her family.

I couldn’t get the link to load - what is it?

Not wearing a hat, so I can scratch my head as I wonder what’s the difference between a trilby and a snap-brim fedora

Porkpies for me will always be the signature headwear of Buster Keaton. He or his wife would make them themselves out of stetsons or fedoras

Hmmm…weird. It’s James Mathus’s song “Turkey Buzzard in a Porkpie Hat”.

And damn. Can’t find a full version online. If you want to hear a clip, check allmusic: