Recipe for Hungarian cremish?

Anyone have a recipe for this delicious-looking dessert? Looks like the yellow might be custard and the white meringue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/contrary/757437114/

Cremesch
They are known as Cremeschnitte in German.

The yellow is Vanilla Pudding and the white is either whipped cream or meringue… seems like cream possibly? It looks like the top layer of the puff pastry is frosted with a caramel?

Pretty sure the white layer is whipped cream… it is a cremesch, after all. :slight_smile:

That’s basically a francia krémes, which is a layer of vanilla custard and whipped cream between two layers of puff pastry. That one looks like it also has a thin frosting on top. This frosting can be just a basic sugar/caramel-type thing or lightly flavored with coffee. Basic recipe can be found here.

edit: I should add, the plain krémes is just vanilla custard sandwiched between the two layers of puff pastry. The “French” version is the one that has the whipped cream, as well.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Gonna put it on my “to bake” list.

This is what’s known in the UK - rather unromantically - as a ‘custard slice’ - they’re usually cut to a rectangular shape here and the icing on top is usually white with chocolate swirls.

I’ve often wondered how they cut these things into portions at the bakery - the pastry is normally quite stiff and the contents very squashy - they’re impossible to pick up and eat without squirting the custard and cream everywhere - how can something like this be sliced so neatly?

I’m pretty sure the secret is to semi or totally freeze it after the layering. Then you slice it with a serrated, thin, carving knife dipped in hot water. You do it in stages, Carefully and gently cutting through the initial puff pastry layer- then dip the knife in hot water and gently rock and slice through the cream and custard layers and finally the pastry at the bottom.