Why does Facebook think my email address doesn't exist?

Every other day, after logging into Facebook, I get a message that says that their records show that my email address is no longer valid, and that I should confirm my email address if I think I received the message in error. I’ve reconfirmed my email about 5 times now. Why does Facebook keep asking me to do this? Do I need to alter some browser settings in Firefox or something?

I would ask Facebook, but I can’t find a link to a real-live technical support contact. All I can I can see are are FAQs and help-yourself stuff.

Is it something generic-sounding like mail@statsman1982.com? Facebook initially accepted and then rejected my account 'cause of that.

To clarify the timeframe, this was a gap of 3 months or so. They did a policy change or got around to nuking accounts or something.

Are you using an e-mail address which contains a subaddress (that is, of the form foo+bar@example.com)? Many websites wrongly reject e-mail addresses which contain the + character. Complaining about it rarely helps, but you can try, citing RFC 5322 and RFC 3696.

It’s in a firstname.lastname@ format.

Dammit. I just had to confirm it again! It’s the same goddamn email address I’ve confirmed now 6 times!

I can’t seem to find an honest-to-god “Contact Us” link on Facebook. All I see are links to FAQ files. Anyone have their contact information?

It’s not a support address, but you can email info@facebook.com. Their phone number is 650-543-4800, but there’s no phone support, either. They really, really don’t want you to contact them. The Help Discussions are your best bet, but that’s not exactly a resource of great depth.

I’ve been having this problem too - four or five times in the past month, never before that. The most recent was earlier today.

What irritates me is the message basically says “we have detected that your email address is no longer valid, and we require a valid email address.” Um, no, my email address is perfectly valid, always has been. You just sent me an email an hour before deciding it was no longer valid, Facebook. How exactly are you “detecting” this?

FTR, my email address is of the form firstname@mydomain.net. “mydomain” being my personal domain, that is.

It’s possible Facebook is sending you a message and it’s getting kicked backed to them.

On a website I did for someone, I set up up all subscriptions to try new address 24 hours and 1 week later and then everyone gets tried once per month.

If the message sits there fine, if it kicks back the account is marked for deletion and then in 90 days deleted.

It may be your ISP or mail account that is saying that a legit email from Facebook is spam. And just because ONE Facebook email gets through doesn’t mean another will. It depends on the spam filter.

In short it could be something like this

You confirm account
Facebook acknowledges you confirm
Then 24 hours later Facebooks sends out another email to you
This email get’s bounced back or doesn’t show as arrived.
Facebook restricts your account automatically.

Now perhaps this isn’t what’s happeneing, but the best thing to do is just find a free gmail or other account and use it

Well, in my case, I’ll concede that I don’t always get an email from Facebook when I should, but it’s been that way since I joined up; this problem has been going on no longer that a month. At any rate, I don’t have any spam filters set up on my email account. I have it set to forward all email to a Gmail account, let it go through their filters before getting to me. So even if Gmail was filtering FB messages out, FB would never know. And, FTR, I check the spam folder in the Gmail account every couple of months and empty it, and I’ve never seen anything from FB in there.

…Well goddammit. I thought to myself I should check the Gmail account before posting this, just so I can say I’m right… and there were four messages from Facebook in the spam folder. Gah! This still shouldn’t make a difference, though - the messages were sent to my domain’s email account first, and they did not bounce back.

I just got asked to validate my email address, which is a .edu address at a school that uses the Gmail service. Their mail ISP is Google, they don’t run their own mail servers anymore.

The last 2 days, I have not received email notifications for about 75% of things I usually get notified about. Over the last however many years as a FB user with this email address, I have not missed any emails.

GESancMan are you sure your mail provider does not use any spam filters you don’t know about?

I do know that some providers put a cap on how many emails can come from one source at one time. Facebook might be running afoul of some of these filters.

Also, an item going into your GMail spam box might very well be reported back to Facebook. Your original address is in the header and so is GMail, and all of the header items and hops are fair game for spam filters (much to mail server admins distress). GMail might provide a Feedback Loop for Facebook, reporting to them anything that is from them that is marked as spam.

I went and put the Facebook notifications FROM address in my “safe senders” list. Hopefully that helps…I know that on the mail server I run, this is the way to whitelist someone.

I’m not 100% positive, but I don’t think so. It’s just a POP3 mailbox with the company my domain is registered with (DirectNIC). I just took a look around my account, and I don’t see anything about any pre-existing spam filters. I have the option to set up my own filters, but it’s easier to just forward everything to GMail and use theirs.

At any rate, when I discovered those messages from Facebook in my GMail spam folder I marked them as “Not Spam.” It will be quite interesting if the invalid email problem goes away now.