Preparing rhubarb for a pie

How much should I peel off the outside? Am I basically to peel off the red?

Only if it’s field grown do you need to peel it. This link has pictures and tells you what you need to do.

I’ve never peeled rhubarb. I usually just make sure it’s clean, chop it into bits, then stew it with a little bit of ginger wine.

Never peel. Clean, chop, stew.

(Full disclosure: I’ve never made rhubarb pie, but have eaten a lot of it - I can tell if it’s been peeled and/or over-stewed*. Also, for further reference of my (lack of) culinary talent: I make my shepherd’s pie upside down - that is, meat on the top so that the juices soak down into the potatoes. You laugh now, but won’t once you try it.

• level of stewing purely subjective to personal tastes)

Why in the world would you peel it?

I make amazing rhubarb pie and rhubarb danish.

Why in the world would you peel it?

I make amazing rhubarb pie and rhubarb danish.

You can’t make a statement like this and not supply us with the recipe. It is in the rules somewhere.
Rhubarb pie is yet further proof that OG loves us.

I swear I’m not being coy when I tell you that I don’t have recipes. It’s all in my hands and head. But I can give you some tips: use tapioca for your thickener, don’t pre-cook the rhubarb, use nutmeg and butter with the rhubarb, and lightly brush your dough, pie or danish, with pure egg white, lightly beaten, then briefly freeze to set the egg and firm the dough. This keeps it from getting soggy. That’s also my trick for pumpkin pie.

The secret to good rhubarb pie, however, is DO NOT commit the sin of adding strawberries to it!

I’ve learned to tolerate other fruits in my rhubarb pie, mostly because I can’t be bothered to make it myself and this is how everyone else prefers to make it. But in a perfect world - like when I was seven and my mother introduced me to rhubarb pie, sans other fruit - I agree whole-heartedly.

Indeed, I wouldn’t peel. Wash and trim. Oh, rhubarb, how I love thee! And guess what came up in my back yard this spring? Rhubarb! I thought it was dead–I’d been given a pot of it by a neighbour thinning hers out. But I didn’t think it lived the transplant, and I’d actually covered it in wet newspaper all winter long, to keep weeds down and have a level of weed-blocking, prior to putting bark mulch over it in May. But I saw something trying desperately to find the sunshine, and it was a rhubarb stalk and leaf! So I hastily peeled back its newspaper and there are three plants thriving! The sad thing is I’d been walking over it all winter, too, trying to flatten the area. :frowning: Tough stuff. (I wasn’t trying to create that forced rhubarb you grow in the dark, either!)

Anyway, I hope to make a rhubarb pie this summer, too!

If we don’t get enough for a pie, I will get a Dixie cup of white sugar and eat it like I did as a kid–dip clean trimmed stalk into sugar, eat, and repeat. Yum! Lucious red stalks of summertime delicious memory!

If you mean don’t bake the strawberries into the pie, yeah.

But crushed, fresh strawberries on top of a slice of rhubarb pie with home made whipped cream is the BEST!

I grew up with strawberry-rhubarb cake-pie <the bottom crust was a little thicker than a normal pie> and dipping raw stalks into sugar and eating them. Sure miss them; I have never seen them in the produce section, EVER. Is it ever sold in the stores? Raw rhubarb, I mean, not the pies. :stuck_out_tongue:
p.s. Without cheating and looking it up, does anyone know why a fist-fight is often called a rhubarb? Always wondered about that, but haven’t looked it up.
Yet. :smiley:

In the spring you can find rhubarb in some produce sections.

Rhubarb Pie

5 cups(about 19 ounces, or 534 grams) thinly sliced rhubarb
1-2/3 cups( 11-5/6 ounces, or 335 grams) sugar
7-1/2 tablespoons( 2.4 ounces, or 68 grams) flour
butter or margarine
2 pie crusts

Clean the rhubarb and thinly slice the amount called for. Mix together the flour and the sugar, and place about a third of the mixture in the bottom of one pie crust. Spread over it the sliced rhubarb and top with the remaining two-thirds flour/sugar mix. Dot with some of the butter, up to two tablespoons. Cover with second pie crust and seal edges. Brush top of pie with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until top crust is golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes.

no need to peel. if you cut with the curve up the strings will cut easily.

if the stalks are older you may want to pull off the strings, if you eat it raw and don’t like them in your teeth or having to bite and yank in a vigorous manner. though if you work on a stalk with strings and keep chewing and feeding it in you can end with a wad of strings to chew on like cud.

All this talk of rhubarb… I think I need to plant some. So I can have rhubarb cobblers, crisps and pie to my heart’s content…

Given your username, and the fact that I don’t know where my late mother’s recipe is, if I get enough this summer, yours is the recipe I will use. Thanks for posting it!

My mother has been making great rhubarb pie for close to 60 years now, and she doesn’t peel the rhubarb.

Thanks everyone! I did peel, because I hate stringy food, and I did add strawberries.

The result was delicious.