How will my diuretic affect my drug test?

Unlike most drug test questions, I’m not remotely concerned about passing. I am a little concerned about the lab deciding my urine has been adulterated or something. The thing that really concerns me is that they never bothered to ask what meds I’m taking.

How with hydrochlorothiazide effect my urine? I expect it will make it extra salty. Will it do anything else. Will it make the other components more dilute because theoretically I’m peeing more?

Mostly, I’m just curious.

My mom drinks a lot more liquids than just about anyone I know (she has problems with some sort of hormone that tells you when you’re thirsty, so she always is) and has had more than one drug test at various employers need to be repeated because her samples are too dilute. Be prepared to repeat the test and being accused that you watered your 1st sample down somehow.

You’ve got a legit prescription so if there were any questions you’re covered anyway. The last time I had to do one a few years ago I was told they don’t ask about what you’re taking for privacy reasons; if anything turns up, and it’s legit, you’ll be in the clear.

The thing is, I don’t know if the sample will be too concentrated or too dilute. The whole point of the drug is to remove sodium from the system. That’s why I was asking. It sure didn’t look dilute.

HCTZ, in the standard dosages, will not significantly impact a urine drug screen. Heck, even in nonstandard dosages, it’s unlikely to significantly dilute urine or alter electrolytes enough to screw up a drug screen.

QtM, former Medical Review Officer (whiz quiz checker)

Actually, the whole point of Thiazide duiretics is to cause you to excrete more water, there by lowering your blood volume, there by decreasing your blood pressure.

However, Thiazides work by inhibiting the Na+ Cl- transporter in the distal convulated tubules, keeping the Na+ & Cl- ions in the urine, which due to osmotic pressure keeps the water in the urine.

To answer the OP: I don’t believe it should have any impact on your drug test. The only way it would be possible would be due to diluting the sample, but if your sample wasn’t watery looking and was yellow, then that wouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve read on more than one website that teaches how to [del]beat a drug test[/del] insure that your urine isn’t too diluted that you should take a tablespoon of Creatine and a B12 vitamin a few hours before the test.

I don’t know about creatine, but the fluorescent yellow from Vitamin B is pretty obvious. I doubt a reputable drug test would be fooled by it. In fact, if I were doing the testing, that color would be a red flag.

So does my urine have a higher sodium content or not? I’m still confused. I thought HCTZ worked by removing sodium, but obviously there is more to it. Since it lowers blood volume by osmotic pressure, I think the urine must be more saline.