Excel: formula doesn't work if I paste it in but works if I type it in

I just need to subtract date column G from date column H to get the number of days. I’ve entered the formula by hand and used DAYS360 but in either case if I copy the formula and paste it to another cell in the same column the formula will be updated with the appropriate cell references but the formula will return the same value that was the result of the cell I copied from. If I manually enter the formula it works fine. I have 2000+ rows I need this for so manually entering isn’t an option. This is in excel 2007. Any ideas? Thanks!

Do you have it set to manually update? Try turning that off.

Holy crap, what was that, 5 seconds? :smiley:

That did it. Thanks!

Are you aware of how to drag a cell to copy it across a large number of cells (like a column of 5000 rows)?

I’m trying to figure out WHY this might have happened. Do you have any cells merged?

Yes, I tried drag and drop. It didn’t work.

Like Chessic Sense suggested, I went to Excel Options and switched from Manual to Automatic under calculation options. It works fine now.

What I don’t understand is why Excel would allow a pasted formula to update it’s references, but not output a correct result, as what happened in Manual mode. If it’s not going to work properly, they should simply refuse the paste and bring up a message window. Very strange. I imagine there’s a good reason for it, though.

Gotcha. I don’t know either - that’s the first time I looked at that “feature”, and can’t think of an application for it either.

It works that way because you want formulas to copy consistently regardless of the recalculation mode. You turn recalculation to manual to when you have a very complex spreadsheet that takes a long time to refresh.

I guess it doesn’t matter now but in cases like this I always use ‘Fill Down’ and that seems to work correctly every time.

That helped me too.

Thanks to Google Search and you :slight_smile:

regards,
Manoj(Bangalore, India)

Actually it might be a better idea to let it be on manual update.

If you have 2000 rows, every time you even filter a column, the sheet will recalculate and slow things down. Once you are done with pasting, filtering and what have you, just hit F9 (Function Key 9) - and the workbook will do a recalculation.