Was Herman Melville gay?

From Moby-Dick, Chapter 94, “The Squeeze”:

Okaaayyy . . .

I wouldn’t be tempted to read any double meaning into this, except that I dimly recall an episode of The Sopranos where Meadow and her college classmates are talking about their English prof’s lecture on homoerotic themes in the fiction of Herman Melville. (And Carmella says, “Well, maybe he’s gay! Ya ever think of that?!” And they all look at her like, “DUH!”)

The Wiki article on Melville says nothing about his being gay; but it was at least rumored he was an alcoholic and a wife-beater, so, not too happily married . . .

(BTW, this “sperm” is spermaceti, which is not really whale semen but people used to think it was, despite its being found in the animal’s head. It is a form of wax and you can, among other things, make candles out of it. Long, thick candles . . .)

Damned near impossible to tell if anybody other than Walt Whitman or Oscar Wilde (who kissed once, incidentally) were gay before the present century, but he does appear on a lot of of LGBT lists and tons has been written about the homoeroticism in his works (not just Moby Dick but his other novels and stories and poems). Wiki.

That said, he did (like most Victorian men regardless of orientation) marry and have children. As good a chance as any I suppose to correct an oft-repeated error: the musician Moby (born Richard Melville Hall) is not a descendant of his- he’s descended from Hermann’s brother.

In an introduction to an edition of MD I once read, the author of the introduction (some academic) tried to make a point that nothing in MD is accidental - that it all has some deep symbolic significance.

To the point where his assertions were barely sane, for mine. There is a scene early in the book where Ishmael and Queequeg shared a bed in an inn owned by a man named Coffin and his wife Sal.

Now pretty clearly it’s not possible to project modern day significance onto a time when sharing a bed out of necessity and poverty might well have been thought normal. Hygeine hadn’t even been invented then, after all. The mere fact of sharing a bed = gay is clearly a stretch.

But the author tried to justify inferring the existence of a sexual relationship between Ishmael and Queequeg on the premise that “Ishmael” is an imperfect anagram for “I am Sal” (the “wife” role most closely juxtaposed at that part of the plot).

When this sort of “reasoning” is imposed on the life and text of Melville, absolutely any conclusion at all is possible, and when academics have with straight face resorted to this sort of thing, the field is so fraught with speculation that ISTM the only sensible conclusion is to recognise that the evidence is speculative, and that will never take anyone very far.

I think it was in An Incomplete Education that they said that if Melville was gay, he almost certainly didn’t know it.

I’d just like to say that the passage you quoted is one of my favorite passages of Moby Dick.

It wasn’t even poverty. Ben Franklin and John Adams slept together several nights when on junkets for the Continental Congress; Adams was famously one of the most ‘in love with his wife’ married men in U.S. history and Franklin was both rich and a hetero horndog. Most taverns rented bedspace, not rooms; it wasn’t uncommon for them to only have two sleeping rooms- one for men and one for women. I wonder if the writer didn’t know that or if he was just desperate for tenure.

I thought that scene was homoerotic. Not because they were sharing a bed - as you said, not unusual in that time - but because of lines like these.

I wrote my thesis on some specifics in Moby Dick which also included some biographical research on Melville. I’ve also taught the novel in the classroom a few times.

Anyway, in my opinion there is no evidence that he was gay, while there is plenty of evidence that he was straight. It is also clear, however, that he used homoerotic imagery as well as other non-traditional sexual imagery and themes not just in Moby Dick, but throughout his body of work. Sure, it was common for men, from best friends to complete strangers, to share a bed at the time with no hint of sexual tension of any sort. But Melville, in the “Marriage Bed” passage above for instance, goes well beyond that in his description of the event. Is he suggesting you read the novel as a treatise on homosexual liberation? No. Is he secretly reaching out in a desperate attempt to call attention to his own repressed sexuality? Doubtful. He may just be having a little fun and pushing the envelope a bit.

Again, there is a mountain of material out there discussing all the sexual imagery in Melville’s work if you are interested. Much of it, like much academic work in the humanities, is worthless crap driven more by the personal predilections of the “scholar” than by any merit in the target work itself. I’m not really into Freudian conjecture and such, and I don’t value assigning various hidden sexual identities to people without biographical evidence. One of the problems this creates is evinced by this very discussion; that is the erroneous supposition that using homosexual imagery and exploring homosexual themes is and can be only done by people who are themselves gay. It is a silly, baseless, and perhaps even bigoted assertion that writing about gayness makes you gay.

One of my favorite bits is from the meeting with the Rose-Bud:

I read Billy Budd in junior high school, and my entire English class thought that the homo-eroticism was completely blatant (it seemed clear that Captain Vere or Claggart were totally in love with him, and the novel emphasized how beautiful Billy Budd was), but the teacher denied any such thing. And I’m sure that I would have found eroticism in Moby Dick as well, had I been able to get through it. But it was boring as hell. (I remember an entire chapter describing a rope in great detail.)

Well the whale was Moby Dick not Moby Frank.

His short story “Billy Budd Gets it On With Bartleby the Scrivener, or, I Would Prefer to Know How to Quit You” is unfortunately lost to history but may answer some of the questions.