Miracle Mineral Solution - chlorine dioxide - Jim Humble

A friend of mine seems to believe that this stuff, MMS (a government approved disinfectant), is a miracle cure for everything. The web site he sent me to (http://www.themiraclemineralsupplement.com/) makes claims about curing cancer, aids, fighting viruses, malaria, high blood pressure, etc. I’d laugh, but this friend is actually ignoring doctors and treating himself with MMS. Does anyone have info I can give him that will convince him that this is the old snake oil scam (or prove to me that it’s actually a real cure all).

No.

I mean to say, I’ve been online, and on the Straight dope long enough to know that, no, you will not find any rational fact collection that will make someone who doesn’t want to listen, listen.

No.

I mean to say, if this were such a radical breakthrough, wouldn’t other sources have mentioned a sudden, radical drop in all cases of these illnesses?

AIDS and cancer and flu and common cold and malaria and high blood pressure and halitosis and ingrown toenails cases drop to nil. Medical researchers baffled. Burn useless diplomas and take up Amway sales for a living. Film at 11

Is this anything like “azomite”?

:dubious:

Well, you would see that if “big pharma” ever it let this miracle cure see the light of day. :rolleyes: Oh, and you should add “lime disease” to the list of diseases which would disappear.

The idea that ClO2 cures all those disparate diseases makes the claims all the more far-fetched. It cures viral, bacteria, and fungal infections, prion diseases, AND cancer? I am curious by what mechanism it could possibly operate where it apparently kills all living things (and even non-living proteins) except the ones that you need.

I find it funny that on the one hand anti-oxidants are all the rage and then you have this and the hydrogen peroxide drinkers who are intentionally taking strong oxidants.

To me, MMS means methyl methanesulfate, which damages DNA. I assume this MMS is something else.

Great. The miracle cure is essentially bleach.

Off the top of my head I can’t say whether or not it’s a stronger bleach than the household bleach you’ve got under your kitchen sink (which is 5% sodium hypochlorite). It is safe to consume very dilute bleach – it’s a quick and dirty way to disinfect drinking water.

Miracle Mineral Solution, per the OP.

I find it interesting that the link is blocked by my security software. Never a good sign there.

Chlorine dioxide gets its 15 minutes back in 2001:
Chlorine Dioxide and Bleach Play a Major Role in Anthrax Remediation of the Hart Senate Office Building

If this thing can stop aging, I want a truck load.

Rumor has it that anti-oxidants stop aging. This stuff is a serious-oxidant.

Many disparate pseudoscientific medical fads depend on completly refuting the germ theory model as cause of illness. So yeah, if viruses, bacteria, protozoa are just there for the ride, and cancer and others are caused by other physiological “imbalance”, then yeah, they’ll likely make such a claim. Generally with some semi-clinical study to back it up.

I’m sure if you drink a truckload’s worth of MMS, you’ll stop aging. Of course, you’ll stop breathing, too, but you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

All I (did) know about chlorine dioxide (before I did some googling apropos this thread) is that it’s the active ingredient in my mouthwash. I used to have bad breath, and in the years I’ve been using it, never (or at least my ex was being overly polite during our extremely long tonsil hockey games). Kills bacteria.

Not too sure about the AIDS and cancer part. I think I’ll decline to be a test subject there.

ETA post above mine: I rather think the problem is you’ll age extremely quickly. Not in the Lost Ark sense, though that would be rather cool.

Bleach will kill all kinds of crap…

It’s a miracle kill-o-mo-thingy.

Hell, I want to know what miracle substance is antibiotic, antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, anti- uh…joint degeneration? and anti…cancer? Because I’m willing to buy that there’s some overlap - take samples of, say, tuberculosis and Hepatitis C and the fungus that causes athlete’s foot and the parasite that causes malaria, and dump them all into, say, pure undiluted bleach, or any sufficiently strong acid, and you’ll end up with a lot of little dead things. However, A) if you drank it you’d be dead and even if you weren’t, B) it’s not going to restore the connective tissue in your knees to good health, or rewrite the DNA that’s causing an unhealthy multiplication of cells.

So it’s pretty much just another of a million completely ridiculous frauds.

Yeah, it’s the same person who wants me to put azomite in my garden, but from what I’ve read the azomite has a better chance of being real, or at least relatively safe.

I can’t provide any cite useful to your purpose, but as someone who studied chemistry, I have to say that relying on that stuff is probably a good way to qualify for a Darwin Award.

Multiple oxygens bonded to a halogen is a strong oxidiser, say it ain’t so!

I think “serious oxidant” is underplaying it somewhat - you can’t really concentrate ClO2 without it explosively decomposing into its elements.

I think it would work as an anti-aging treatment since you would just stop getting older after using it in any serious concentration. You would, however, have a mild case of death. Otherwise you are just drinking bleach, which is no miracle cure for disease, but might stop you getting sick if your water source is dirty.

What next, O2F2 as a cure for acne?

There are worshippers at the shrine of MMS just as for a zillion other cure-alls - colloidal silver, glyconutrients, miracle anti-aging herbs (there are a variety to choose from), cider vinegar, oil pulling, parasite “zappers” etc. Some are convinced your own body produces the key to solving a host of medical problems - urine - which you should drink to stay healthy.

My big question is: if any one of these fabulous remedies holds the Secret to longevity and fabulous health, why do we need all the others?

What the alt med faithful would probably tell you is “Everybody’s different” - the fallacy that each of us is so unique that what works for one person won’t work for another, and you just have to keep trying all the different goop out there until you find the one that turns you into Superman/woman, hopefully before you’ve spent your life savings and let treatable medical conditions deteriorate beyond repair.

Or received your Darwin Award nomination.