What's up?

As I sit at my desk, day after day, people are always asking me, “what’s up?” I am ashamed to admit that I don’t know.

Can anyone help me? Do you know what’s up?

Not much.

Occasionally nothing much.

If you’re in Minnesota, the correct reply is to mumble something back and mention how hot it is, to which the other person must correctly respond in code, that it’s not the heat it’s the humidity.

Look down and say “not me”.

Or, if you don’t want to get fired you can respond with “what’s happening”. That puts the anus on them!

Point to a map and show them Svalbard. Then say, compared to where we are now Svalbard is UP on the map. That is unless you are at the North Pole.

Then you can tell them how a lot of people can live in Svalbard. That’s right, for example if you’re an American and you can find a job there, you can go and live there.

Then you can suggest that instead of bothering you with inane questions they can move to Svalbard

…Life is not hard in Svalbard…Forget all your cares…And dance with the polar bears…

Onus, dammit.

Moving thread from IMHO to MPSIMS.

— Ellen

Well, your original quote does have a much more interesting mental image attached to it…

The sky.
The national debt.
The temperature.

Take your pick, any are bound to bring on a delightful conversation.*
*No, not really.

“Pixar film. Well done. You ought to check it out!”

You can always answer the question with a question.
“What’s the word?”

The word is up. Sigh.

I think it was better with anus.

:smiley:

I would rather not put my anus on anyone here. It smacks of a closeness I don’t wish to encourage.

Nothing much, my man.

You need a little panache.

ETA: But watch where you put the anus.

Real funny, coming from a cat. Cats put their anuses on EVERYTHING.

Cats up, that’s what.

This thread makes me think of my favorite line from L.A. Confidential:

Of course, the second line is spoken by Danny DeVito, so it may not say much.

I was under the impression that the bird is the word.

The negative gradient of gravity

Mass awareness of a certain avian variety.