Why is nonetheless one word?

How did three separate words become one like that? I get compound words, but that feels like a whole phrase that got squooshed together. Anyone know the backstory (or have access too a resource that does)?

Inasmuch as I’m interested, I’m afraid I don’t know the answer.

I’m pretty sure someone will answer, albeit after some time.

Nevertheless, here’s something from etymology online:

Notwithstanding, Someone in the discussion here, though, thinks it goes back to 1533:

It the precursor of OMG and WTF. LOL

The whys and wherefores of this are altogether unfathomable, nevertheless, it is just one word.

Heretofore, I had never even considered this question.

Words commonly go through a progression, when they are used together often enough.

First are just the 2 or 3 words separately.
Then they are joined by hyphens.
Then they are just run together as a single ‘new’ word.
And sometimes their initial letters become a new word, for example TV.

For example, if you look at books from 100-200 years ago, you will often see “to-day” or “to-morrow” – these words were in the 2nd phase at that time, now they have transitioned to the 3rd phase – new single words (and most people don’t even realize they were once separate).

And like most things in language, this is full of variation. Sometimes words get stuck part way, and never transition completely. Even if they are used very frequently.

Excellent post. I’ll contemplate it over break fast.

I refuse to recognize cooperation. It’s co-operation or nothing for me :slight_smile:

Cooperation is when pigeons do something together

Interestingly, the popular name for the Harvard Cooperative Society is “The Coop”, pronounced as in “Pigeon Coop”.