why is the mlb on fox scoreboard so far to the left I can't see the score

what about us folks who don’t have widescreen TVs

We don’t care about you. We are just annoyed that we have to get some things squashed into a fraction of our screens while we wait for the rest of you to catch up.

The type of viewer who doesn’t have a widescreen TV isn’t a very desirable person to advertise to these days. Sorry. It’s sort of like still having a black and white TV in 1980.

It is Fox. The left is always invisible.

Can you adjust the aspect ratio of your set? That may fix the problem.

:rimshot:

I noticed this on Saturday while I was watching the Giants-Dodgers game. I too have a non-widescreen TV. Luckily, the commentators on FOX are so unbelievably, jaw-droppingly horrible that it will be a pleasure to skip the TV broadcast and just listen on the radio the next time they are broadcasting a Giants game, so I won’t be missing anything.

Look out for the delay on the radio broadcast so they can cut the service and protect our sensibilities in the event that someone utters a naughty word.

Seriously, I am a little surprised that the box is not 4:3 safe. They may have just screwed up with their graphics package.

They do it all the time for regular programming, too. Just watch The Simpsons or House and you’ll see the credits bleed off the edges or compositions significantly off.

Personally, I’m annoyed to see the score box so close to the center of the screen on my widescreen set just so 4:3 viewers don’t have to buy a new TV. I’m equaly annoyed to see reruns of sitcoms stretched or cropped to fill the 16:9 screen. Broadcast the program in the original aspect ratio, please! Let us handle how to display it.

Another PSXer instant classic.

So how’s 1985 treating ya?

Watching the ESPN coverage of the British Open Golf Championships the last three weeks (Men, Seniors, Womens), the camera would constantly have the hole on the very bottom of the picture. And then the omnipresent ESPN scroll would be covering the hole.

Morons.

Gonzomax, well done sir.

does everyone really have widescreen TVs except me

wow, you must be rich

On my mum’s old Quasar brand TV (which is close to being an antique, plays my SNES games perfectly, and I will never EVER throw away), I just adjust the H and V hold, and that shrinks the ratio enough so I can see the scoreboard. Ditto for the sportsticker on ESPN.

This is why I no longer watch the Simpsons on Fox - Global, the Canadian broadcaster, letterboxes it, like a sensible broadcaster broadcasting 16:9 material for 4:3 sets.

I feel the same way sometimes. I can’t imaging buying a new TV until the old one doesn’t work.

Ordinarily I’d agree, but HDTV has been around long enough that your CRT has got to be getting pretty old. I mean, I got my 37" 720p TV for $300 on Black Friday last year–compare to the previous CRT I bought in 2003, which was $250 for a 27".

It’s still a case where you have to shop to sales, but they’re not exactly a luxury item anymore.

Is there a good overscan converter box? My giant toob set is about the last one made with no aspect ratio switch. It doesn’t have horizontal hold, either. It’s a good SD set, and too goddam heavy to toss.