Longest lasting rock band?

Not sure whether to post in GQ or Cafe Society. Hell, maybe MPSIMS? While the question might have an answer, I’m more interested in the opinions of the Dope, so I decided on IMHO, although the mods can obviously move this if they feel another forum would be more appropriate.

My kids were talking tonight about long lasting rock groups. I’m sure this question has come up on the Dope but a search didn’t show any interesting threads. Some time ago a New York radio station, probably K-Rock, had this as a trivia question, but our recollection wasn’t clear. Some seemed to recall that the answer was a group that wouldn’t have immediately come to mind.

This was probably because the terms were pretty tightly defined. All original members still in the group, no significant hiatus in their tours. This leaves out most of the major groups. Actually, one that fits the bill might be ZZTop: looks like 1969-2010 with breaks of less than 7 years between albums. Still, they probably didn’t fit the constraints for continuity in the K-Rock question.

So I’m curious about not just the strict form of the answer, which might be a band that’s not all that well known. I’m also interested in opinions from the knowledgeable here. How long a break have bands taken? What if we disregard members replaced because of a death? If we disregard a 17 year break, doesn’t that make The Who a strong candidate?

I lurk here a lot more than I post because there’s a lot more knowledge here than in my head, though I’ve been a little more outgoing lately. Other than GQ’s that usually have a straightforward answer, this is probably my first OP. Be gentle.

After all that, I left this in GQ after all. Could a passing mod move this to IMHO?

The Four Topswent 1953-1997 with all the original members. When Lawrence Payton died they toured as a trio for another year before replacing him. That’s 44 (or 45) continuous performing with the same lineup, and they still perform, albeit with replacements.

Of course, the Four Tops a) weren’t a band, b) weren’t rock and c) only recorded one album after 1988, so they probably wouldn’t count under the rules.

Similarly, the Smothers Brothers made their first professional appearance in 1959 and continue to perform together, but they wouldn’t count either.

My guess would be that the real answer is some band that started to play together in junior high school, probably had one or two records on a small-time label and still get together once in a while to play a festival or knock out a CD.

Simon & Garfunkel?

Actually, since it is about music I think it’s best suited for Cafe Society, so I’ll move it there.

U2 has been continuously together with the same four members since 1976, and has stayed relatively vital in all that time. They haven’t become a retro act yet, at any rate.

Interestingly, those 4 members were never in any other bands before U2.

Rush has been Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart from 1975 until today, but I imagine they wouldn’t count for these purposes either since they did one album with another drummer before Peart joined.

My understanding is that the Rolling Stones are almost universally regarded as the longest running act in rock and roll. Of course that’s not under the particular criteria of the trivia question, but that raises the question of who cares who it is under those criteria.

Golden Earring was formed in 1961 and have been playing with the same line-up since 1970. So they’d be one year older than the Rolling Stones. It’s really hard to think of a band that hasn’t been through personnel changes. I think Dio might have nailed it with U2. It’s impressive how long they’ve lasted without any major upheavels.

Generally speaking, I think I’d go with the Stones, too.

I think it may be the Dutch group Golden Earring. They started in 1961, and have had the same lineup since 1969 (when they had their fabulously named hit: Dong-Dong-Di-Ki-Di-Gi-Dong). They are best known for their song Radar Love. They’re still touring.

Oops - just seen Blank Slate’s post.

You could almost say the same thing about Cheap Trick (going back to 1974), if it weren’t for a stretch in the 80’s when Tom Peterssen wasn’t with the band. (And, currently, Bun E. Carlos is taking a break from touring with the band but is still a member.)

Peter, Paul, and Mary were founded in 1961 and continued to play and record until Mary’s death last year.

If you disregard changes in personnel, the original Ink Spots were founded in the early 1930s and are still touring. The Mills Brothers were first performing in 1928; they are still around. Obviously neither group has any of the original members.

I didn’t know they had a hit with Dong-Dong-Di-Ki-Di-Gi-Dong–OK, I’m nuot sure I even know that song-- but 10 years after Radar Love they scored big again with Twilight Zone, which I still hear on classic rock stations. I remember the video as well–the song was big during the time when everything in music was about the video.

I think hit is misleading here. They are very popular in The Netherlands and have tons of hits there. They tour constantly, and still sell out places. I’ve seen them twice and they are quite good, and the crowd really gets in to them. The other nice thing is the tickets tend to be cheap, I think I paid 20 Euros both times. I’d see a lot of bands at that price.

It went to number one in Holland. That’s a pretty big hit in my book. Or doesn’t it count if it doesn’t chart in the USA?

The 4 Tops and the Ink Spots aren’t really “bands,” are they? They’re singing groups. Bands play instruments.

I doubt that either of those groups have actually retained the exact same backing bands for their entire existence, so I would dispute their eligibility.

Thanks - great responses!

Gary T, I agree with your comment as to who cares about the answer under the strict terms of the trivia question. What I’m looking for is suggestions under broader terms and got plenty of good ones.

I’d considered the Stones as strong contenders, with only Wyman’s departure a significant departure from the strictest interpretation. They would be at 48 years.

Kunilou, Four Tops is a good suggestion. Though they didn’t release albums, they were actively touring; so I’d count them at least through 1997. There’s good reason to consider them even beyond 1997, although I don’t know how much they toured since them. Supposedly they are looking at an upcoming tour. That’s at least 44 years. Dio got a point though; maybe mentioned with an asterisk?

Dio, U2 is a great suggestion. While only 34 years, it’s solid with respect to the strictest terms. Brownie points for not having been in another band before U2.

Blank Slate (and NoneToTheSky), Golden Earring is an interesting mention. 41 years, although they didn’t start together. Same longevity as ZZTop.

Cheap Trick does deserve a mention at 36 years, although Petersson’s hiatus does take away from it. I like them too much to leave them off the list.

RealityChuck, I’d thought of Peter, Paul and Mary, I remembered she had died recently. Although they’re folk not rock they deserve a mention, especially at 49 years. There are probably lesser known folk acts that have been around as long; might even be some well known ones. Smothers Brothers are another interesting mention, but I always think of them more as a comedy act.

Questions like this should not come to a definite answer, too much nitpicking would be required. Every group mentioned here deserves to be noted. Thanks again for the suggestions. Any others?

I would think the Stones.

How about the Who? Are they still actively doing anything together?

The Stones have been around a very long time but they haven’t had the same lineup the whole time. Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones in the late '60s and then Ron Wood replaced Taylor in the mid '70s.