Time Limits on Adding Edits...

I just had a weird experience adding an edit. I got the message saying I must wait 5 minutes. So I waiting a couple of minutes. I was watching the clock, so I know it was at least 5 minutes from the last post I added. Only, I still got the message! Apparently, the clock started running from my last ATTEMPT at a post–not the last actual “successful” one.

Is this true? It seems rather unfair–or at least confusing. Anyways, this is partly a test post to make sure that is what it is, and not a clitch with my computer or the boards.

Weird.

I don’t understand the question – you can only edit a post during a period of up to (i.e., less than) five minutes after hitting “submit.” I am not aware of any setting in the Board software that would tell you to wait *more *than five minutes.

You know, actually I may have “wooshed” myself in this one. Yeah, I think the time had expired. I just remembered, you only get 5 minutes maximum. Anyways, at least it isn’t a total loss. This test post shows it isn’t a problem with my computer or the boards.

Actually though, I did have the “Edit” window, and it still didn’t let me post it–which does seem rather odd. I may have pushed the wrong button or something too, which may have had something to do with it.

If the page isn’t refreshed the edit button remains, and when you click it you get the edit window, but upon hitting submit, get the time expired message. I know this… trust me… you think you sneaked it in under the wire, but no…

While I understand why the edit button doesn’t go away, I do question why it still works if you can’t edit.

It doesn’t work, that was what the problem was.

If you hit edit before the five minutes is up, you can get back to the post and work on it – but if you don’t hit submit from that screen before the five minutes is up, the edit won’t take. That’s apparently what happened to the OP.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

No, if you click the edit button after the time is up, you will still be given the ability to edit your post, and will not find out that it did not work until you try to submit. Or, at least, that is what has happened to me.

The edit button only shows up if you have time to press it before the time limit to edit posts has expired.

After that it goes away.

Or to be more precise: the edit button only shows up if the page was displayed before the time limit to edit posts has expired. (Obviously if you leave the same page sitting there for two days, without refreshing it, then the edit button will still be there. But if you refresh the page the edit button will go away.)

It may be a little off-topic (but hey, you’re the one who posted it;)). But I just have to know, what on earth does it translate to? I tried Intertran. But all I got was:

Which doesn’t make much sense (and is rather stupid–Intertran doesn’t know what “nulla” means?!).

This is because the time limit for editing is enforced by the server, not your browser, and the way the edit function is implemented, it doesn’t need to contact the server to give you the edit window. It’s not until you hit “save changes” in the edit window that the server has any indication at all that you’re in the process of editing, so that’s when it checks the time and tells you if you’re still allowed to do it.

Cecil knows all. Short version, it’s a corruption of a Latin philosophy passage.

Get all the lorem ipsum you need here.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut ultrices sagittis mauris, convallis adipiscing turpis sagittis rutrum. Sed neque magna orci aliquam.

Thanks–that’s the answer I was looking for. Though I’m curious why it is set up that way, rather than first asking the server whether an edit is still possible.

Unnecessary traffic. It’s just going to have to check again before it posts, anyway.

Exactly.