Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

What kind of geek are you?

Among many other geekities, I am a tea geek. I buy only loose-leaf tea and barely tolerate high-end tea bags. Lipton and Red Rose are swill fit only to poison an enemy's fresh water supply. I'm such a pathetic geek that I bring my own tea and an electric kettle on vacation. I know what the letters SFTGFOP mean and I can pronounce rooibos correctly.

What about you?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm the kind of geek who buys jeans on line because the ones in the stores aren't high-waisted enough.
Or is that a kind of nerd?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Computer geek

wannabe science geek (yes there are such things as science groupies and no it's not the same as being a "furry").

Stationery aficionado - I love a beautiful pen or mech. pencil. Not the fancy overprice shit like Monte Blanc, but real world writing instruments that are beautiful by design and not because of their price. I love unusual paper. I would consider someone who gave me a heavy duty 3 hole punch for my birthday as having seen directly into my soul.

Last edited by dzero; 09-20-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM

You sound more like a tea snob, to me.

I'm a real geek. I eat the heads off live animals (especially kittens, you-know-who ) at the carnival side-show.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 09-20-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: I thought I was a beer geek, but it turns out I'm just an alcoholic.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 AM

OMG!!! Ozzy is a geek?

Has anyone told him?

Would he understand?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:33 AM

Computer geek.

Slowly learning x86-64 assembly, just for fun
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

The question is not so much "What kind of geek?" as "How many kinds of geek?" Geekdom is driven by some fairly fundamental characteristics--indifference to whether or not a topic is "mainstream", obsessive attention to detail, and an inclination to independent thought, among others. It's not necessarily specific to a particular topic. Geeks often branch out when they find new topics that interest them, or engage in serial geekery, in which they obsess on a subject until they feel they've mastered it to their satisfaction, then move on to the next topic.

Here are some (but not necessarily all) of the ways I geek out:

Tech geek--I do software development and testing at work, then do both hardware and software development on my own time.

Anime geek--Not as obsessive as many, but I attend a couple of cons a year, and watch more anime than live-action shows.

SF geek--Fantasy and science fiction fandom runs in the family. Someday, I must find a way to stack books on the ceiling in order to preserve room to move. I have filk CDs.

Comic book geek--I'm sort of abstract about comics geekery. I actually follow very few titles, but I find the tropes of comics interesting, and I know more about superhero characters than a non-geek would readily admit to.

Game geek--This is where I hang my alpha geek hat. I play video games, tabletop RPGs (involved in two different campaigns now, and planning a third), and LARP (live action roleplaying--we dress up in costume and chase each other around the park with foam swords). I'm on the Board of Directors of a non-profit gaming organization and the chairman of the committee that controls the in-game economy (which means I spend a lot of time pricing healing potions and things that go BOOM). Game-related stuff soaks up the bulk of my free time.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 AM

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT d- s+:- a C++ U P+ L+ E- W++ N o+ K- w M+ PS++ PE- PGP? Y+ t++@ 5+ X+ R b++
D++ e* h-- r++ x*

-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Last edited by Jenaroph; 09-21-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if I can really consider myself a true geek anymore. My singular obsession gene has mutated and mellowed, and now I only dabble, and in about half the number of hobbies I once engrossed myself in. I don't even read very often anymore.

I used to like Fantasy novels and films; comic book art; 3D computer graphics; synthesiser music; visual effects; and animation. I'm still a fan of most of them, but I don't partake half as much as I used to.

What the hell do I do with myself all day?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 AM

According to this, I'm mostly a rock geek, film geek, Jedi geek, Tron geek and collectible geek, as well as possibly being a super geek and a code geek.

Rock geek: almost any kind of rock is OK by me, and I know all kinds of obscure facts. Love Pink Floyd and Tom Petty, but also Alice Cooper, Porcupine Tree, David Bowie, Yes...

Film geek: my DVD collection is massive, and again, I'm a wealth of trivia.

Jedi geek: I maintain a blog analysing The Clone Wars. I've met George Lucas. 'Nuff said.

Tron geek: I have a poster of Tron mounted and have had an email discussion with the co-writer of Tron. The film inspired me to program a TRS-80 when I was eight.

Collectible geek: mostly Star Wars stuff. I even have the cardbacks to my figures from the '80s.

Super geek: love Superman and Batman in particular, but I'm only now rediscovering this.

Code geek: as I said, I was programming from age eight. I bought the 2nd ed. K&R to read for fun. Being a CS grad student, however, has dulled my personal interest.

Last edited by Lobot; 09-21-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
D++ e* h-- r++ x*

Your fellow geeks have sold you out my brutha - http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/

SPOILER:
GEEK TYPE CODE [GAT]
SPOILER:

Geek of All Trades. GEEK DRESS CODE [d-]

I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt. GEEK SHAPE CODE [s+:-]

I'm a little taller than most. Everyone tells me to gain a few pounds. GEEK AGE CODE [a]

My age is 30-39. GEEK COMPUTERS CODE [C++]

Computers are a large part of my existence. When I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is log myself in. I play games or mud on weekends, but still manage to stay off of academic probation. GEEK UNIX CODE [u]

I have a unix account to do my stuff in. GEEK PERL CODE [P+]

I know of perl. I like perl. I just haven't learned much perl, but it is on my agenda. GEEK GNU/LINUX CODE [L+]

I've managed to get GNU/Linux installed and even used it a few times. It seems like it is just another OS. GEEK EMACS CODE [E-]

Emacs is too big and bloated for my tastes GEEK WORLD WIDE WEB CODE [W++]

I have a homepage. I surf daily. My homepage is advertised in my .signature. GEEK USENET CODE [N]

Usenet News? Sure, I read that once. GEEK USENET ORACLE CODE [o+]

I have been incarnated at least once. GEEK KIBO CODE [K-]

I don't know who Kibo is. GEEK MICROSOFT WINDOWS CODE [w]

Ok, so I use MS Windows, I don't have to like it. GEEK MACINTOSH CODE [M+]

A Mac has it's uses and I use it quite often. GEEK POLITICS & SOCIAL ISSUES CODE [PS++]

Last edited by dzero; 09-21-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Star Trek geek, Stargate geek, somewhat of a Star Wars geek. My husband is none of these things, but thanks god he understands me. He's never discouraged me from it, but good naturedly laughs about it at times. That's ok
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 AM

Math geek. I read books about math and mathematicians for fun. I've entertained myself by factoring phone numbers.

I think this qualifies me as a general all-purpose geek, actually.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Different ones over the years.

Started off as a Magic: the Gathering geek. Had 20 sided dice for life point totals. Glass counters. Books. Boxes made especially for the cards. Thousands of cards. Fiction books. Encyclopedias of the cards. Cards from other countries. Custom cards. Those black decks that were reproductions of championship decks. This obsession eventually encompassed the Pokemon: TCG and Yu-Gi-Oh: TCG. I've given all that up though, except for playing the occasional Yu-Gi-Oh game against my brother.

Transformers. I have every series from G1 up to Energon, including the ones that didn't get released in America. (Victory, Headmasters 2, Beast Machines 2, etc.) I have toys, books, comics, clothes, and all 3 movies. Soon I'm going to add a transforming usb mouse and a transforming flash drive to my collection. I don't have anything of value though, since I firmly believe the toys should be played with, and not left sitting around in boxes.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm just a biology geek. I get abnormally excited about all things medical. Angiogenesis gets me all hot and bothered. I was at a big Immunohematology conference last week and was completely enthralled by how awesome a parasite malaria is. Seriously, I left there thinking that it's too bad malaria kills people because it's so freaking cool.

Also a Star Wars geek, LOTR geek, and a Simpsons geek. I listen to Weird Al and Jonathan Coulton.

But I am most decidedly not a math or computer geek. Despite spending far too much of my life on here, I can't wrap my brain around how any of this magic happens. I let my programmer husband deal with all that. He's a whole host of other geeks wrapped into a cute package. And he is endlessly amused by my unrestrained awe and enthusiasm towards bio stuff.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
Among many other geekities, I am a tea geek. I buy only loose-leaf tea and barely tolerate high-end tea bags. Lipton and Red Rose are swill fit only to poison an enemy's fresh water supply. I'm such a pathetic geek that I bring my own tea and an electric kettle on vacation. I know what the letters SFTGFOP mean and I can pronounce rooibos correctly.

What about you?
Simply Far Too Good For the Ordinary People?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM

If I had to class myself most likely otaku bordering on weaboo

I recently stuck an add-on into my google chrome that keeps my manga up to date and alerts me when new releases of chapters are out and looking at the series I follow alone theres ver 1000 chapters at at least 19 pages a chapter and those are the ones being updated not to mention the ones I've finished. Then theres the anime and the hours upon weeks upon months............ wow I think I just summised my life.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Pasta View Post
Math geek. I read books about math and mathematicians for fun. I've entertained myself by factoring phone numbers.

I think this qualifies me as a general all-purpose geek, actually.
No. No, that just makes you weird and a little scary.

I am more of a generic, all-purpose geek. Mainstream SF and fantasy. A little of this, a little of that. I guess I'm also a bit of a biology (zoology) geek, too. I am not a specialized geek in any area.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Food geek, if that's a real thing. I hate the term foodie. I also think a foodie is someone who buys food only because it's expensive without really doing any research.

I search out local free range eggs. I'm aware "free range" can mean just a window to the coop, so I buy from a purveyor that has had lots of news coverage for being truly free range, in that the chickens are out and about most of the day.

I'm aware that USDA standards for organic food and milk are abysmally low, so I specifically choose small operations that are "certified naturally grown" or certified by QAI. I use the EWG's research for choosing organic produce and milk, so I'm not buying organic bananas when I don't need to.

I don't buy things on the basis that they're nutritionally better, only to avoid certain dangerous pesticides, growth hormones, etc.

I'm starting to get into anime. Seen 90% of Miyazaki's stuff, just finished Cowboy BeBop, and I'm currently watching Samurai Champloo. Good stuff.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM

"Geek of all trades" here. Computers, national anthems, flags, trivia, those are my big geek realms. I'm just content to be a "geek" for all the privileges and rewards that come with that title without clarifying it more.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
D++ e* h-- r++ x*

Hah, I was going to do one up too, thanks for stealing my idea. ...so I did anyway.

GH/MU/O d s-: a--- C+++ U P+ L+ E- W++ !N !o K? w-- O? M+ V? PS++ PE Y+ PGP- t- !5 !X R !tv b+++ !DI !D G e>++++$ h r* x?

Some clarification: I'm an Internet geek. I'm a fandom geek. I'm a linguistics geek. I dress almost like a normal person but I hate makeup. I love programming but I don't know very much about it, I just took a couple years of high school CS and so now I can make games in Java. I love sci fi.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
D++ e* h-- r++ x*

Boy, the Geek Code needs some updating. Oh well.

Code:
Version: 3.1
GCS d-@ s+:(+) a C++(+++)$ UBLS$ P++++(++)$ L++(+++)$ E++(+++)$ !W+++$
N++(+)@ o? K--? w++()$ !O M(+)@ !V PS+ PE++(-)@ !Y PGP t !5 !X !R tv- b+++
DI !D G(--) e h r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Last edited by Superfluous Parentheses; 09-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses View Post
I used to think that too, but I think its "stuck in 1996" characteristic is its charm, besides, this was the golden age of geekery, after that, it was cool to be a geek, and being a geek somehow wasn't the same any more. Those that can answer this, and were around back then, are hardcore, my friend.

Code:
Version: 3.1
GAT d-(+) s++:- a C++ P+ W++(+++)>$ N o K w+@ M-@>+ PS+@ PE-@ t+ tv(-) b+
DI++++ D G+ e++>++++ h--(----) r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Last edited by dhkendall; 09-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM

I've never seen the Geek Code before; pretty funny! I'll have to set up my own sig some time.

I forgot to mention that I tried cultivating and roasting my own tea. Since I was at sea level it didn't come out very good (the fact that I had little idea what I was doing had nothing to do with it, I'm sure).

At one time I was a King Arthur geek. I read all of the seminal fiction books (even slogged through Mallory) and kept up on the Arthurian archaeological findings. I visited England and made a pilgrimage to some of the sites supposedly connected to the legend(s). Thinking back on it I don't remember dressing up like Arthur, which I guess knocks me down a peg.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Zoology, SF literature, large/obscure words, and random trivia.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm an audio geek

I grew up learning to be an audiophile, and can hear the differences in speakers and amplifier combinations.
I have worked that into being a recording engineer and producer, and performer, composer and arranger, and music teacher.
I HATE what mp3 does to great recordings. It makes them brittle, compressed, and they make my teeth itch.

I also am a tea geek, but not as extreme as the OP. I like a lot of tea flavors.

David
Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Espresso, Tolkien (as in enthused student of his writings and subcreation, NOT fanboy), genealogy, sex.

'Nuff said.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Definitely a tea geek (find some Chamraj Orange Pekoe) and a total cotton-wearing snob. I can't stand synthetic stuff. Eeek! It feels creepy.

I would like to attain total gardening geekdom by becoming a master gardener.

Last edited by carnut; 09-21-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Vinyl Geek as in records made out of vinyl.

I love the smell of an LP in the morning.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I resent the question. Nerds and propellerheads should not be called "geek". Only Gatopescado is a righteous member of that fraternity.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Word game geek.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post

This exactly. Plus the smell of fresh espresso from my - admittedly geeky - top notch espresso machine.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Viking geek. I have fits when I see a viking helmet with horns on it. Or hearing Tony Curtis speaking in a viking movie.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Major geekdoms: World building, kimono, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Batman.
General / minor geekdoms: Languages & conlangs, comics, cartoons, classic sci-fi & fantasy, RenFaire, Quantum Leap, anime, manga
Past geekdoms: Star Wars, Star Trek, X-men, Pokemon, Digimon
Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post

If you live in the Northeast and your vinyl addiction includes '78's, there may be an opportunity to get some access to some very old vinyl through a Doper I know. PM me if you are interested - this is not my connection, so I don't want to promise anything...

As for my geekery - well, I am a geek in general, if by "geek" we mean someone who revels in detailed specifics in general areas of interest.

But if I had to nail it down:

- Guitars and Music in general
- Books, reading, rare books and First Editions
- Pop Culture
- General knowledge, with specific interests in philosophy, physics and hard sciences

I am sure there is more, but I hope you get the idea...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I don't know who these geeks are who geek out on only one thing, but I don't think I've met any. As for myself, I have what I whimsically regard as the "collector gene". I have an inexplicable desire to accumulate related items. If my wife left me I'd probably end up one of these people who can't get out of his house because of the huge stacks of cloth maps from old video games. Among my interests:

Golden Age Rock ('46-'64) and R&B
Folk music including Sea Shanties, Cowboy Songs, Border Ballads, Drinking Songs, ect.
Language in general, English and Latin in particular, including a fair collection of Slang dictionaries and IPA refrigerator magnets
Tabletop and Computer Roleplaying Games
The Metric System
Film Noir and Hardboiled Fiction
Criminal Biographies (thieves, not murderers or rapists)
Skepticism (I keep up with the latest news in shit not to believe)
Computer building and maintenance
Dress hats
Et cētera... I'm leaving off a bunch of stuff I don't actively pursue currently, but still occasionally gather materials for, such as yo-yos, juggling, magic tricks, etc.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Star Trek Geek

Supernatural Geek

Bounty/Bountiana/Mutiny Geek (and of pretty much anything involving tall ships)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 PM

I used to be much more geeky - D&D, anime, fanfiction, computer games, fantasy novels. Nowadays I'm not hardcore enough to call myself a geek about anything, really. I still play games and read fantasy novels, anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Emacs geek.

Over time, I've come to realize I probably know more about Emacs than the majority of my office (and we're all Unix users). I pride myself on how seldom I have to touch my mouse.

Recently, we've acquired a new worker who's a big supporter of VI. This cannot end well.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 AM

I remember the Geek Code. Didn't know it was still around.

I'm not hardcore enough about much of anything these days to really be considered a geek. I probably could still pass as a computer geek, but I haven't really paid any attention to what is considered bleeding-edge for the past couple of years, so I've been out of the loop for a relative eternity. Maybe an aviation, or motorcycle geek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
According to this, I'm mostly a rock geek, film geek, Jedi geek, Tron geek and collectible geek, as well as possibly being a super geek and a code geek.
Does it make me a rock geek because I noticed the "rock geek" type is playing the wrong guitar? He's clearly dressed as Angus Young, but is playing a Flying V. Young is famous for playing SG's. Someday I may become a guitar geek, but I've only been playing a couple of years so I still have a long way to go.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses View Post

It needs error correcting too, there's a parenthesis or two that's not needed in there as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM

A gamer geek, anime geek, cosplay geek. I collect costumes (not related to cosplay) and wigs...my many mannequin heads all have names.

I'm not a filmgeek but I love martial art films, especially older cheesy ones. Also tabletop rpg.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Alice Cooper, horror and Texas Rangers geek.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Plant geek. I have lots of unusual plants. Many grown from seeds. Specialize in xerophytes of various types. Give workshops on same.

Watch geek. Big collection. I read all about the movements, and have many watches with unusual complications. Fix ones with minor problems.

Pocket watch geek. My interests are in pocketknives of less that 4 inches in length when folded. Mostly cattlemen, canoes, and congressmen with bone handles.

Science geek. From an early age, I was more interested in bugs and snakes than in baseball or football. Majored in botany as an undergrad, with post grad work in zoology. Minor in chem. Taught science for 39 years.

Military history geek. Interested in nonfictional and fictional military history and novels. Was an Air Force munitions officer.

Last edited by sunstone; 09-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 AM

Most assuredly a book geek. I love to read and I also love the books themselves. I spent about 10 min recently resisting the urge to spend about $60 on some prettily bound classics at B&N the other day. Its about the only time in my life it was hard not to buy something.

A mild computer geek. I have some skill and knowledge of computers and net culture.

Also just a knowledge geek. I love to know stuff and learn new stuff.