Need Chix pot pie recipe

I always buy the frozen kind. I need to learn to cook more, so I’m looking for an easy, healthy version.

A lot of the calories and general badness in chicken pot pie is in the crust. There are healthier versions using phyllo dough as a crust. I can tell you, chicken pot pie with a phyllo dough crust is yummy. We need to make it again, now that the colder weather is here.

I also have to leave out the dairy products when I make a chicken pot pie, as I keep kosher. That probably also helps with the calories and stuff that is bad for you in chicken pot pie.

What dairy products go into a chicken pot pie in the first place? The only thing I can think of would be butter, but you could substitute pretty much any other sort of fat for that just fine.

A lot of chicken pot pie recipes call for milk or cream.

“Healthy” is debatable, but Titli Nihaan on youtube has this easy recipe that uses milk and flour in the filling and ready-made dough for the crust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXMxYiToKdM

I recommend her channel for more easy (and probably healthier and certainly less calorie- and carb-stuffed) recipes. She’s funny too :slight_smile:

One of the nice things about using phyllo dough, even aside from any health benefits, is that you don’t have to roll it out. I wouldn’t call any recipe that requires you to make or roll out dough “easy”. (I don’t even think we have a rolling pin, come to think of it)

I’ve also heard of people using puff pastry to make chicken pot pies.

You can get either phyllo dough or puff pastry in the refrigerated or frozen section of most supermarkets.

Chicken a la king would be an alternative that has similar flavors to chicken pot pie, but is easier to make. It’s easier, because you just spoon chicken a la king over pasta or bread of some sort, rather than making a crust.

I generally prefer an empty wine bottle instead anyway. Two minutes of rolling work does not exclude a recipe from being “easy” in my opinion. There’s just two things to remember: start from the middle and turn the dough after 2 or 3 “rolls”.

ETA: My dislike of phyllo dough has nothing to do with this reply. I promise :smiley:

Anne, I always thought of chix a la king as chix pot pie minus the crust.

Rolled dough can smell fear. It knows I’m afraid of it.

This is not a high priority thing to do anything about for me, since I am not a professional chef or cook, and most things made of rolled dough are things Mr. Neville and I should not be eating. We’re fat enough as is without eating more cookies, pies, etc. “Learn to roll dough” is somewhere down below “learn Russian” on my personal lifetime priorities list.

I wouldn’t dream of trying to convert you, but personally, I love quiche, and I have to make the dough for that myself. Even if it makes me fatter (which is why I don’t eat it all that often) :slight_smile:

So to actually answer the question:

1 Grocery store rotisserie chicken
bag of frozen veggies (any you like, carrots and peas are traditional)
2 jars chicken gravy (much better than you think)
1 potato
phyllo dough or pie crust

Get meat off chicken and chop it. Dump in casserole dish with gravy, frozen veg, and chopped potato. Top with either phyllo or pie crust. Cut vents in pie crust if you use that. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. YUM.

Bisquik, or even home-made biscuits: bad for you or not?

Slightly more upgraded version of Brynda’s but still fairly simple:

Chop an medium onion, 4 stalks of celery, and 4 peeled carrots into small bits (like 1/3" square-ish).
Saute in 3 TBSP butter over medium heat, until the onions are transluscent and just starting to get brown.
Add 3 TBSP flour and stir until all the flour and butter are mixed and blended (you can add a little more butter if it is needed)
After a minute or two of continued stirring, add 2 & 1/2 cups of chicken broth, and whisk briskly until all the mix is smooth.
Add black pepper and salt to taste.
Simmer, stirring, until sauce thickens.
Add 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (meat stripped off a supermarket rotisserie is perfect, or leftovers from Boston Market, or whatever you got) and a drained can of cubed low-salt potatoes
Pour all into ovenproof casserole dish and top with preferred crust (I never tried phyllo – great idea!)
Bake until crust of choice is browned, according to package directions

I can’t vouch for the calories, but it can be made less fattening by using less butter and skim milk. My version:

Ingredients:
1 cup potato, diced (you can use frozen or canned if easier)
1 package of frozen peas/carrots mix (put in about 2 cups worth)
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half or milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
2 store bought pie crusts

Directions:
[ul]
[li]Preheat oven to 400°F.[/li][li]Saute peas, carrots, and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.[/li][li]Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.[/li][li]Combine broth and half and half.[/li][li]Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.[/li][li]Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.[/li][li]Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.[/li][li]Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.[/li][li]Cut slits to allow steam to escape.[/li][li]Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through[/li][/ul]

Probably better than dining on store-bought biscuits.

I used to use canned Veg-All for my pot pies, then I found frozen mixed vegetables, which are perfect for pot pies and many casseroles.

I have to admit to using frozen pie shells, as rolled dough can smell my fear, too.

Generally, I make pot pies from the last bits of chicken or beef soup. I thicken the leftover broth for the sauce, and just scoop most of the solid bits into the pie shell, and add the thickened broth. One of these days, I’m going to try pasties/pocket pies.

Check for trans fat. Bisquick has a lot of it, unfortunately. Check ingredients of biscuit mixes or biscuits for the word “hydrogenated”. If it’s there, they have trans fat (even if the label says 0 grams trans fat, they’re allowed to round down), and you’re better off without them. Trans fat is very bad for you, worse than saturated fat.

Here’s the recipe I usually use. It’s futzy, so I generally only make it on weekends, but it’s super good. I’m a good cook (not a great one), so others might be able to find shortcuts. Really, it’s phenomenal. (And not that difficult, just time consuming.)

I use refrigerated pie crusts from Pillsbury. I’ve never tried making crust (I should, but sometimes life is too short) and they’re pretty good anyway.

Sorry, no idea about calories. It does involve butter (1/3 cup) and milk, but I’ve used 2% no problem (she even notes that lowfat milk will work).