ADT can't protect me from ADT

For 12 + years, from the time I first bought our last home, I was an ADT Security Services customer, home alarm and monitoring for burglary, fire, etc. We paid our bill each month, never heard from them except for when the alarm was tripped, no problem. Then about a year ago ADT reps showed up at door and offered an equipment upgrade if we signed a new contract. They said we would need to call ADT’s home office to cancel the old service, which we did and set it for the day before the new contract was to start. They put in a motion sensor and glass break detection device a couple of days later.

Then the same guys called back a week later and said ADT wouldn’t cover their equipment cost unless we’d not been customers for 3 months or longer, that the special had only been for new customers. Huh? That’s when we learned they were a sub-contracting security company representing ADT. They wanted us to go with another company so they weren’t out the new equipment cost. I checked into their recommended replacement, it failed the BBB report and I refused. So the new contract stayed in place, and they (subcontractors) were out the upgraded equipment cost since ADT wouldn’t reimburse them.

6 months later we moved to a new home. We left the existing ADT coverage running as the new owner said he wanted the coverage. But when he tried to call and roll it over to his name there was a problem, so he lost interest. We called ADT to cancel the remainder of the coverage, only to learn they were going to charge us 75% of the remainder to cancel, around $580. I said no, we’ll opt to just transfer the coverage to our new home rather than throw that much cash away on nothing.

So the service rep came out in March, 2010 to transfer the contract. We had to sign for another 3 years but that voided the old contract. She looked everything over and scheduled an installer. We have a security system already in place, it just isn’t monitored by police, fire, etc. The Installer came a week later but said since we have AT&T UVerse he needed some other equipment. That was in May. We never heard back and all our calls to the service rep and the 800 number went unreturned. They did, however, continue making monthly automatic withdrawals from our credit card account. I called no less than a dozen times, even speaking to the Regional Custom Home Account Manager. He agreed we owe nothing, promised to fix things with billing, promised he’d get someone out and promised he would call me back… but he never ever did.

Now it’s been 7 months since we resigned and over 5 months since it was supposed to be running. We get a bill from a collection agency on ADT’s behalf for $580 from the old house contract that apparently was never negated by the new contract because in ADT’s records we’re not being monitored. So despite us asking to have the service transferred, signing a new contract, allowing someone out to install, having money withdrawn monthly from our account and repeatedly calling to see why it’s not working yet, they’ve turned the supposedly negated account over to collections. Un-frikkin-belivable.

So I keep calling, speak to a half dozen other reps who all say they’re sorry and concerned, will look into it and all promise to call me back. Not one single person ever does. All the while with home invasions on the increase we’re without a monitored system. I’ve learned in those conversations that when they didn’t get everything running within a couple of months, that new contract we signed became void as well.

I’ve now reported them to the BBB, describing the issue and providing a log of all the calls I made and who I spoke with, have cancelled the monthly payment and keep calling both the 800 number as well as the Regional CH Manager. My wife just emailed me that ADT’s collection agency called (instead of mailed) and they want $580. My ears give off a sound like hot water kettles as steam shoots out from them. I invite them to break in and take it. It’s not like we’re being monitored or anything.

What can I do? Small claims court? Hire an attorney? I’ve tried going as high as I can on the phone to these people and every single attempt has been in vain. No way I’m paying them $580 for nothing, especially after transferring the contract. I’ve made every effort to be both a loyal and good customer and meet with only incompetence at every turn. Never have I seen a company so poorly run, so miserable at managing the simplest of requests or tracking what’s due.

I’m really, really starting to hate these guys. And if you’re considering service I strongly suggest you look someplace other than ADT. Abysmal Delivery Techs. Their incompetence exceeds what I’d thought possible… and then some.

I have no advice other than just pay the money, make sure you get everything in writing and never use that company again. Maybe if you negotiate with the collection people they will settle for less but they will surely ding your credit.

I had a similar issue with a different type of company, bitched about it here and almost everyone told me to just pay up. I fought for over a year, got a lawyer and ended up paying more than if I had just swallowed my pride in the first place. I did have the satisfaction of knowing that my opponent, who did not deserve the money, ended up with less than they would have but that is small comfort. A couple of lawyers made a little cash, all of which came out of my pocket. $580 isn’t worth the fight. Even if you just refuse to pay and they decide to take you to court is will cost that much, even if they are wrong.

I came in here looking for a pitting of ADT’s advertizing. Those people make their money by trying to make us irrationally afraid and I hate that.

Their ads do deserve a pitting as well, I agree.

Thing is, even ADT personnel, managers included, say we owe nothing, are due a refund even for the months we paid on the new contract but were provided no service. They promise to fix it with billing, then nothing gets done. Time and again this has happened, then they don’t have the balls to push it through or call me back to explain why it hasn’t been done. Their internal phone network must be composed of string and Dixie cups. They agree they’re in the wrong, then apparently they hang up and forget about it.

I have no problem with the money. I just want what they contracted for in return.

Is there a consumer reporter on one of your local TV stations? Maybe they’ll succeed where you’ve come up against a wall.

And maybe you should just get a big, loud dog.

Ya know, FCM, that’s an idea worth investigating. We’ve got a couple of them that appear to be real pains in the arses for some businesses that obviously don’t adhere to Stanley Marcus’ philosophy. Good call!

Don’t let my daughter hear you mention getting a dog or my goose is cooked.

Sounds like you need a consumer advocate.
Clark Howard is one of the best, he has a radio show I used to listen to for years.
Here is a link to his site.

Get her a pony, that should distract her :wink:

As for your ADT problem. It sounds like they have already sent the issue to collections. In my experience collections has no communications with the company, isn’t interested in whatever the problem is and doesn’t care who is “right” or “wrong”. They can be willing to take less money if they it will save them some work though.

My wife was a salesperson for ADT for about 6 months before she quit in disgust. I have never known a more slipshod, poorly run company where the right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing. It was as if they had an evil mole manager whose only purpose was to sabotage the company, yet people still seemed to buy their service. Ironically, part of the problem was that the customer service side couldn’t handle the volume of business they were getting. I couldn’t figure it out. I thought it was just the region where she worked, but apparently not.

Do they have a local office? Take your documentation and get a face to face with someone. It’s up to you whether it would be worth it to you to take a day off to camp out in someone’ office.

Send an Executive Email Carpet Bomb (EECB), which is a method of sending emails to the highest levels of management for a company. Most of the time, EECBs can be very effective.

Check out www.consumerist.com for instructions, and possibly for a list of executive email addresses at ADT.

Don’t ever accept “we’ll look into it and get back to you”. Stay on the phone until they at least claim it’s fixed. Be an asshole if necessary.

Exactly the advice i was going to give.

And, for good measure, send your story to The Consumerist as well. If they publish it on their website, it will get a ton of publicity, and bad publicity often gets moron companies off their asses.

This is terrible advice.
Forget the BBB.
Most alarm companies are licensed by the state. Call the licensing authority in the state you came from, and/or the state in which you live. Call some kind of state agency that deals with the credit reporting kind of stuff. Make them know what’s up, and they should do something for you.

Also, have ADT call the collection agency, and get them off of your back. If they put some hoodoo out on you, it is their responsibility to get it off.
Best wishes,
hh

Consumer reporters are also on newspapers, in some places.

And I’ve heard that geese are loud and MEAN. I know that swans are.

Many of them are also licenced contractors, Filing a claim against their surety bond for a job left incomplete should wake someone up in the home office.

Well, if a dog is out, try this. Doesn’t get rabies or distemper, comes housebroken, and doesn’t need daily walkings.

Plus, it works on ADT doofusses, too.

Call/write the state indeed. Also what fairy mom said too - consumer advocate. Also contact the state attorney generals office. Facts, facts, facts. Don’t let it be emotional - write out chapter and verse what has happened. Get names, dates and some form of claim number from the calls you’ve made or from new ones. Finally - copy the execs or regional manager on the letters especially to the State and AG.

Or roll over and pay. You could also pay to stop the harassment and document it all as above demanding a refund on top of the refund.

I’m not handing over anything to an outfit that’s in violation of a contract or trying to harass. We’ll cheerfully give away many multiples of that this year to deserving charities and institutions but when someone tries to take it that just doesn’t sit well. Plus it does the next schmo who comes along no good at all.

I thank you all for some really good information, links and suggestions. I started yesterday and will continue to work my way through each today as time permits, and again this evening. It would appear that in following these some progress has been made, as at least it was a V.P. that actually did call twice last night. I told her the steps I’d taken to report and share what they’d done and the sequential steps that had to take to make things right. I’ll share what worked when the the results are hard and fast.

Nobody returns your calls? When did you move to Portland?

Not much advice to offer, except to say that I was also a victim of ADT. Faulty alarm equipment resulted in too many false alarms and unnecessary visits by the local police. They warned me that the city would start charging me for each false alarm response, so called ADT and cancelled the service, sent a registered letter reiterating the cancellation. They picked up the equipment. Service was cancelled but they sent no refund of nearly a year’s prepaid service. I stuck with my request for the refund for several months, sending increasingly heavy packages of documentation to them, and copying the BBB.

The BBB did nothing. ADT did nothing. No response from either entity.

I finally contacted the state’s attorney general, and ~bingo bango~ a refund! No apology for jerking me around, but at that point, I didn’t expect it.