How do you make Quesadillas?

I love Quesadillas. We have a place called Taco Bueno that makes good one. But $5 is a bit pricey.

Can you make good ones at home? How do you do it?

Do you have to buy a machine like this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Salton-Santa-Fe-Quesadilla-Maker/5639871

With my Foreman Grill, toaster, coffee pot, waffle iron. My desire for another countertop gadget is non-existent. But, I do love Quesadillas. :wink: I hope a machine isn’t necessary.

Any receipes for beef Quesadillas?

Tortilla.

Shredded cheese.

Any other fillings.

Fold tortilla (or lay a second one on top).

Microwave for maybe 1 minute.

Done. :smiley:

Not another counter to gadget but something far more versatile. I have two of these smallish, cast iron griddles. Put both of them on the burners of my gas stove and get them rocket hot. Slide an assembled quesadilla onto one griddle, invert the other and put it onto the first. They nest together quite nicely, squeezing and crisping for a very nice quesadilla.

This method also works well for grilled cheese sandwiches and you can reverse the griddles to use the ‘grill’ side to make paninis.

As far as quesadilla recipes, whatever you have is good. I start with a layer of refried beans and a thin layer of shredded cheese. From there, the sky is the limit.

Buttered tortilla.

Shredded cheese.

Any other fillings. Or not.

Lay a second buttered tortilla on top.

Grill on griddle.

Flip.

Done.

(basically a grilled cheese made with torlillas instead of bread)
mmm

Pretty much what Bosstone does. My usual has at least 4 cheeses, red pepper flakes, and maybe a swirl of Sriracha inside.

Good lord, no. Spread your filling on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, place in an oiled pan, flip when the cheese melts. Serve with guacamole and other toppings.

Here is my recipe for quesadillas my family loves. They call them “yummies.”

Ingredients:
Refried black beans
Double ground beef or turkey*
Cheese
Yogurt or sour cream

Spread tortilla with bean and meat; top with shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.

Heat olive oil in skillet. Place tortilla in it, brown and flip. Cut into serving sizes with a pizza cutter. Top with sour cream and guacamole.

• I take ground meat and throw it in the food processor, add a little liquid and blend. Makes for very smooth meat

Take a tortilla. Butter it. Put it in a pan, butter side down. Make sure the pan is hot, and on a burner. That’s turned on. Put cheese (I like Monterey Jack) and whatever other toppings you want on top of the tortilla. Take another tortilla. Butter it. Put it on top, butter side up. When the bottom tortilla is brown and crispy, flip the whole shebang. When the other tortilla is brown and crispy, remove, cut, eat, and enjoy.

There can’t be more than a handful of things that are easier to cook.

You can put any filling in them that you want. I usually put a small amount of olive oil in a very large skillet and heat it. Place one large tort in the pan, then add fillings, then second tort, then flip.

This recipe was in Sunset Magazine recently. Just be careful with the grill temperature or they’ll get too crispy. Good eats.

Shrimp & Garden Quesadillas with Avocado Salad
¾ pound peeled deveined shrimp
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp each sea salt, ground cumin and paprika
¼ tsp each pepper and cayenne
1 TBSP each orange juice and olive oil

1-1/2 cups each shredded cheddar and jack cheeses
4 large four tortillas
¾ lb. zucchini, shredded
¾ cup fresh corn kernels
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Salad
2 ripe avocados, sliced
2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
¼ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 TBSP chopped cilantro
1 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP lime juice
½ tsp each salt and pepper

Toss shrimp in a bowl with garlic, salt, spices, orange juice and oil. Heat grill to 400.

Place half of shredded cheeses, zucchini, corn and green onions on one half of each tortilla, top with the other half of the cheeses.

Grill the shrimp for about 3 minutes in an oiled grill pan. Coarsely chop shrimp and scatter on the other ingredients. Fold tortillas in half and grill about 1-2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted. Remove from grill, cut into wedges, and serve with salad on the side.

Don’t you people use spices? A little sprinkle of chili powder and cumin on the cheese goes a long way.

ETA Chefguy, you snuck that one past me.

Tortilla
Shredded cheese
Other fillings
Fold or top with second tortilla
Bake in oven, or toaster oven, at 325-ish for 5-ish minutes per side-ish.

I know what I’m having for lunch!

Yeah, the biggest problem with the microwave is it doesn’t get the tortilla all nice and crispy. The grill is good for that.

I actually do own that quesadilla grill linked in the OP. Waste of money, trust me.

Ooops. Yes, sprinkle liberally with chili powder or Tony Chachere’s. Or cayenne.

Quesadillas are what I make when I can’t be arsed to cook. Anything other than the basics is contra-indicated. But I do usually sprinkle some Mexican oregano over the cheese before nuking.

If you use chicken or beef I guess it has to be pre-cooked? Or does it cook inside the Quesadilla?

Precooked.

If you tried to cook it in the quesadilla the tortilla and the cheese would be burnt black long before the meat was ready.

Ok, that makes sense. Browning some hamburger first isn’t a problem.

Add the fact that meat releases water as it cooks. That water would do ugly, messy things to a quesadilla.

I make the large ones with flour torts and small ones with corn torts. Both are good.