Actors that were never on your radar screen as a gay/lesbian, but now they are.

I recently watched Footloose with Kevin Bacon. Every once in a while over the years, I’ve received a gay vibe from him, but it never really stuck. Until a reviewing of Footloose, that is.

Bacon kicked my gaydar off immediately in the movie, and it wouldn’t stop. I asked my wife if it was just me, and she said that although she wasn’t feeling it as strongly as I was, she could see it.

I know he’s married and has been for a long time to that human pipe cleaner, Kyra Sedgwick, and has a couple of kids, but something still tells me he’s at least bi.

I’m not condemning the lifestyle, so please don’t rant on me about that. I’m just curious if

1. anyone has the same feeling about Bacon
  2. experienced this as well with another actor

I think it’s more you gaydar detecting your own vibes, dude. I would be a tad worried if I was your wife.
BTW, Bacon played a male prostitute in JFK, so maybe you should give a call to Oliver Stone and share your gaydar experiences :D.

P.S: one clue, that might offset even properly calibrated gaydars is that actors that tend to be very focused on their looks and body, to the point of narcisism often trigger gaydars, even if they’re straight. Tom Cruise could definitely be gay, I really doubt he is.

If he is, he’s keeping on the down low. I’ve never heard a whisper of any kind of scandal (not that gay/bi is a scandal) of any kind connected with KB, and I’ve pored over guess-the-blind-items blogs for years without his name coming up. What makes you think that? His looks? Because he’s always had that youthful, boyish, I’m-a-teenage-runaway-from-Des Moines thing, awww, ‘nice cute vulnerable boy, get in my car and I’ll take you to Denney’s for a decent meal…’ Boyish + vulnerable = fresh meat.

Trying to think of another actor that hasn’t already been mentioned in other threads a million times. Jesse Spencer (Dr. Chase on House)? Again, never read anything, but he’s extremely pretty…

For me, it was the way he walked in Footloose. I can’t explain it. I just had an impression.

Look, I personally don’t care if he is or he isn’t. And if he is straight, I won’t be disappointed. He had effeminate mannerisms in the movie, and that’s the best I can explain it. I’ve never heard one thing about Bacon’s sexuality, so I will admit that I am most likely wrong. I get similar impressions on Tom Cruise, and I’ve always been told how wrong I am with Tommy.

Captain Zombie - No worries on this end. I was told by a very good friend of mine (who is VERY gay) that I don’t ping his or any of his friend’s gaydar. And he says that gaydar is very real for him.

I dunno if I’d try guessing someones sexuality based on their role in an 80’s musical about the power of dance. The straightest guy in straights-ville would set off gaydars in that role.

Its maybe one step better then guessing Antonio Bandares is gay because he came off as kind of fruity in Philidelphia

Or deciding that Neil Patrick Harris is straight based on his portrayal of Barney Stinson.

If NPH wasn’t already out, I’d’ve assumed Barney was just too much overcompensation, although it’s been a while since I’ve seen the show.

I hung out with KB for a couple weeks in the 90s. I never got any kind of gay vibe at all from him. regardless of his preferences in that area, he was a pretty decent guy.

It reminds me of David Cassidy. In his autobiography he wrote that people often assume he’s gay. He says “I’m of slight build, wore my hair long, have a bisexual father and Keith wasnt the most masculine guy in the world, so I can see how people would think I’m gay, but I’m not.”

I think KB is similar in that respect

It was just the 80’s, trust me.
I was there. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Human pipe cleaner”?

ETA: Does it mean “skinny”? If so, I don’t see it – she’s just normal Hollywood-thin, not anorexic, supermodel-thin. Or am I totally off base?

1. Never much thought about Bacon one way or the other in that way but the absence of any substantive rumors in a 25+ year career would imply he’s not.
  2. Lots of actors ping my gaydar (e.g. Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice- I have no info one way or the other if he is or isn’t) but few really surprised me when they came out. Raymond Burr and Robert Reed (The Brady Bunch were two I never suspected but then I was a lot younger when they were outed. (By all accounts Reed was miserable due to his homosexuality and even though he was estranged from his daughter [she was raised by her stepfather] he mentioned her frequently in interviews as if trying to closet himself more and he’d probably hate the fact he was posthumously outed; Burr told lies about dead wives and dead children early in his career but I think he was far more comfortable with it in later life after greater acceptance came to pass, and he lived with his lover for many years and left him the bulk of his estate).

I never thought of Kevin Spacey as seeming gay, at all - until I was told by a former New York scenester that he was regularly seen with men in public and that it was common knowledge there that he lived a gay lifestyle.

Yea, the guy is acting. I’m not sure you can conclude anything about an actor based on his performance, unless he’s really bad and his own personality creeps through.

Do you get a gay vibe from Eric Stonestreet (the bigger one) on Modern Family?

I probably wouldn’t have pegged him either but he’s been outed so many times tabloids pretty much leave him alone now.
Portia de Rossi surprised me; I didn’t know she was gay, let alone involved with Ellen, until well after it was fairly well known.

One I just learned about that surprised me- not that I’d much thought about it one way or the other- is John Benjamin Hickey. He’s been in several movies and TV shows and I knew he’d played gay characters (not at all evidence of anything) but he currently plays (Laura Linney’s character) Cathy’s homeless-by-choice hetero horndog brother on The Big C. He’s had sex scenes with bisexual (currently in a lesbian relationship) actress Cynthia Nixon.

You know, I could have happily lived my entire life without ever imagining Kevin Bacon having sex with anyone, male or female.

That would have been a nice way to go through life.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Kind of difficult not to if you’ve seen WILD THINGS (where not only is he one of the few A-listers to do frontal but did so with a little bit of chub going on).

Hell, Kevin Bacon in *Footloose *was macho for the 80s. We’re talking about a decade where girls had crushes on Boy George.

Seeing Kevin’s bacon is one thing. Imagining it being used is another.