Mattress Topper Recommendations?

I’m looking at mattress toppers and wondering what the consensus around here might be.

My mattress is about 16-17 years old, and I definitely need a new one, but it’s simply not in the budget. (I thought it was foam, but apparently the mattress has springs, because lately I can feel them through the padding.) The mattress isn’t really sinking drastically like some do. It’s just no longer comfortable. My “box spring” is actually a wooden platform.

I’ve looked at the memory foam toppers and read a few reviews. It looks like folks either love them or hate them. A lot of people say they’re hot — I can’t stand being hot when I sleep, so I don’t know if I want that. So now I’m wondering about feather bed toppers. Are there any other kinds of mattress toppers that people like?

I’m a side-sleeper and I tend to easily get too hot while I’m sleeping.

I’ve done a search and found the list of related postings here below. But I’d like to hear more. Any new opinions? Experiences? Recommendations?

Anyone used a memory foam mattress topper?

Anyone tried the Tempurpedic mattress?

Mattress pad recommendations?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-493718.html

What makes the Doubletree Hotel beds so comfy?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-466369.html

Memory Foam v. Feather Bed?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-421840.html

Is it the mattress? The almost-new really expensive mattress? sob
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-412333.html

Five years ago I bought a no-name memory foam mattress, but after 10 months decided I didn’t like it. However, about three months ago I ordered this topper and so far am delighted with it. The eternal problem of course, is the depth of the topper + mattress versus the depth of fitted sheets.

Due to a complicated living situation, I am currently forced to reside with my sister three to four days a week and she has an expensive mattress topper (one of those egg container-shaped things).

I hate it.

Every other day I need her to help me move it back as it slips down and starts falling off the mattress. I can’t stand how I can feel it moving and how soft it is.

Dang. See, there’s that love-hate thing again.

A local store has a brand of 4-inch memory foam called “Perfection” on sale for a really good price this week. But a good price is not really any good if it’s a lousy product.

(Thanks for sharing your experiences, though!)

This is a topic I have been pondering recently. If it’s okay with the OP, I’d like to hear featherbed recommendations and also those wool mattress pads.

I don’t like memory foam or foam in general. For one thing, it smells after a while.

I have a featherbed at the moment and on sunny days, I take it outside and hang it on a tall stepladder all day in the sun. I do the same thing with my pillows. They smell so good at night! The featherbed needs fluffing, but that’s okay. The big problem is that feathers poke through, so I use a wool pad on top of the featherbed but under the top sheet so the feathers don’t poke me! They’re like little needles.

I also don’t want to buy a new mattress right now, so I’d really like to know about some good pads/toppers, too.
ETA: for slipping pads, I bought one of those waffle-y things you put under throw rugs to keep them from slipping and put it between the pad and the mattress. No more slippage!

I’m so glad I found this thread. I, too, am facing the dilemma of what mattress topper to buy. I tried an $80 memory foam topper from Target several years ago and it made my back hurt even worse. I can’t afford a new mattress at this time but I also can’t afford to lose any more sleep, either!

Looking forward to reading everyone’s replies.

Mine came with a cover that you can remove and wash. As such, even after years of use, there is not even the most remote of stenches. So, try that.

Oh yes, I’d love to hear about experiences with feather and wool — anything that might offer a decent sleep.

I’ve got three 3" memory foam toppers (two Kings, one Queen) purchased here and I could not be happier with them. My wife and I, and our guests, just love them.

Was hoping for a little more action on this thread…

Anyone with featherbeds? Wool mattress pads?