Why do zombie threads get brought back up from the depths?

Zombie threads seem to surface on a daily basis around here. Why do they happen? Why does someone dredge up a thread that’s 1, 2, or 5 years old and then answer to it as if it’s a hot topic?

Sometimes it’s because of an update to the story that inspired the thread. But if the thread gets bumped by a newbie, it’s probably because they found it through a Google search.

And, for the most part, if it’s a topic you feel like you can add something to, or want to restart, then why not?

One other option: it’s spammers often bump these threads. We delete their posts when they’re possible, but sometimes other posters respond before we can do that.

I’ve come across a few great “classic” threads that were started well before I joined the SDMB, I’d love to post in them, as I didn’t have the chance at the time, but am afraid that I’d be labelled a “zombie reviver”. Should I just let sleeping threads lie?

You could always start a new thread and provide a link to the old one for reference.

I’ve thought that maybe someone was Googling a term, and it showed up in the Google list.

If you think you have something interesting to say about the topic, and there aren’t other circumstances (like a heated argument between long-gone posters), I don’t see any reason to fear being labeled a zombie creator. The board administration has lately considerably relaxed the strictures against zombies, and they’ve done it for a reason, presumably that in most cases there’s nothing wrong with it.

Ya know, someone should bookmark this thread, then bring it back to life in ten years.

That’d be meta!

It sort of depends on the forum. F’rinstance, if you’ve got something interesting to add to a thread about one of Cecil’s columns, you should do so. You might start by saying, “I know this is an old thread, but…”

If it’s an MPSIMS thread, then there’s less justification (speaking generally). If you feel you really must, then start a new thread as per Czarcasm’s suggestion.

On t’other hand, if you’re talking about a Pit thread, let it lie.

As long as this thread is open I’d like to add that I agree with and like the new policies regarding zombies. Enough are left open and the few that are closed seem to be justified. Good job, mods.

Just out of curiosity, what does this mean, exactly? I mean, I’ve seen “spammers bumping threads” used as an explanation many times, but I don’t understand what’s in it for the spammer to do this. (Perhaps the missing piece for me is I always come in late and you’ve deleted their posts before I get there, so am simply missing the context.)

They search for posts on the subject that their “business” relates to, then post in the thread with links to their websites, with the intent that this will bring you to their website.

Well, I never meta thread I didn’t like.

To give weight to Marley’s suggestion(that being Googled has led to this), I’d estimate we have 100 times the zombies since allowing Google to scan the board.

{sigh} Life is hard, ain’t it?

No, No. Good thing. We have incredible web presence these days. More people, more page views. The problems associated with all of this are surmountable. Worth the pain.

I see. Thank you for the explanation.

I protest, been there for two months and I already got a shitload of warnings and moderators’ notes. There is no love for the Zombies here.