What to do with plastic hangers?

I just changed from plastic clothes hangers to the velvetty ones and now I don’t know what to do with them. I probably have three hunderd or so in various colors. It feels like a waste to just throw them away and they don’t seem the type of item a thrift store would really want. Does anyone have any suggestions what can be done with them?

Post 'em on the “free” section of Craig’s List? Or your local Freecycle? Someone planning to throw a big garage sale could use them, ferinstance.

Why do you think a thrift store wouldn’t want them? They have to hand their merchandise on something - why not your hangers?

Why don’t you call your local thrift store and ask them? I am trying not to be snarky here, as that seems like the most obvious answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Send them to me. I swear, I cannot keep clothes hangers in the house. I don’t know what happens to them, but I always need more.

I guess I just assumed, since I’ve never seen them for sale at any thrift stores, that they wouldn’t be ideal but I never thought of them *using *them. A big “duh” for me and thanks all for responding.

**Athena **are you serious? Because I’d love for them to go to someone who needs them.

Keep your plastic planes in them.

They would also make a great craft project for someone who is bored … my grandmother taught me to sort of weave 2 colors of yarn over wire hangers to make them pretty. It is sort of like doing a buttonhole stitch, just in yarn on the wires, but I see no reason you couldn’t do it in plastic.

Do them up in assorted colors and batch them together by 25s and give them as gifts?

My thrift store sells hangers, actually. They tape them up in bundles and sell them for a buck or so. If they sell cheaper home goods then they’ll sell hangers, it might just be that they get snatched up or used for merchandise.

You could always just keep them in a bag and when someone comes over say “Hey do you need any hangers? I’m trying to give these away.” Actually this is not a bad way to get rid of anything you don’t want around the house anymore.

but yeah craiglist ‘free stuff’ would clear them out right away.

Thrift stores do sometimes sell hangers. I know that sometimes rehab facilities and homeless shelters and the like need hangers, too.