Cashing a check without ID? (USA)

So my 19YO daughter is at her wits’ end. She finally landed a job, and she’s got her first pay check. The problem? When she was ready to cash it, she noticed that her photo ID was expired, so instead of trying to use an expired ID to cash her check, she went to the DMV to get an updated ID. They took her expired one and said they’d mail her the new one. But she still doesn’t have it.

Now she’s broke, she needs money, and she knows her ID won’t come on Monday, either, because it’s MLK day, and there’s no mail delivery.

I told her that she could sign it over to her friend Shawn, who has a checking account, and he could deposit it in his account, and effectively cash it for her. But his bank says they can’t do that. I don’t understand that at all. I’ve done that kind of thing lots of times!

I would help her if I was closer, but it’s a 2.5 hour drive, one way.

So can anyone think of a legitimate way for her to get this check cashed without her photo ID?

Think she’s SOL. I can’t imagine anywhere is going to cash a check without ID. You really can’t just make the drive? 2.5 hours is only what, like 100 miles?

Doesn’t she have any other form of ID, like a passport or birth certificate? And why isn’t her workplace paying the money directly into her bank account?

She’s probably SOL, but before you go haring off across country, have her check with some of those skeezy check-forwarding-cash services. They charge a shite-load for their “services” but it may still be less expensive than a tank of gas. I know that they WILL use birth records, passports, and other forms of ID, where any bank that’s open on weekends is likely to not accept those because they aren’t “standard” state ID.

Well, it’s a little more complicated than that. See, I have an 11YO at home here with me. So my choices about being gone for six hours start to involve her. Either I have to subject mudgirl to spending her Sunday in a car, or to spending her Sunday alone. Neither option is very attractive.

Of course the bank can do this. Maybe he just said that because he doesn’t want to be on the line in case it bounces. All he has to do is withdraw the money from his account and also deposit the check. They’ll place a hold on the funds until the check clears, but if he has enough money in his account to cover the check and the amount he wants to withdraw, he can withdraw money to give to her.

She has a birth certificate, but noplace will deal with her without a photo ID. She does not have a passport.

Yeah, I thought about this, too. I think before I let her do something like that, I’d make the 15-minute drive to the nearest grocery store that has Western Union services, and Western Union her some money. I think they have a deal these days where you can send up to $200.00 for $9.95. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper (and easier) than making the drive!

If you use a credit card you could even send Western Union online from their website without having to leave the house.

I know! It didn’t make any damned sense to me. Also, it’s a business check, from her place of employment; not a personal check!

Yeah, I just found that out. Now all I have to do is make sure she doesn’t need a photo ID to collect the money. I don’t think so, though. I think I get some kind of code when I wire the money, and I tell her the code, and she uses it to pick the money up. The Western Union website is really unclear about how this works. . .

Just note that this probably counts a cash advance. Most cards charge a higher interest rate for that and some don’t have any grace period (ie, interest starts accuring immediately).

According to the website, I can send it using my Visa debit card, which is what I would do. It costs a couple of dollars more than sending it by agent, but given that it’s a 15-minute drive, and it’s icy out, it may well be worth another $4.00.

Almost all of the banks in my area stopped doing this years ago.

The bank doesn’t let you cash an endorsed check? That is strange. You people need new banks! Not only could I do this with my bank, I could scan the front and back of the check and email it to them. Wouldn’t even have to leave my house to deposit it. Just scan, email, file away.

So, how big is her paycheck that her loving parent can’t lend her the money, or cash the check for her? :wink:

And, what about her employer? Can they cash her paycheck? I assume if she works at a grocery store or restaurant, they should be able to help her out. In many states, an employer is required to do that for certain classes of employees by law.

Does she have a bank account? There are still free low/no checking accounts that allow the account holders to use the bank’s ATM for free.

Once this initial problem is addressed, it’s time to work on Plan B; addressing some basic life skills with a credit union account that takes direct deposit and attention to those pesky little things in life. Because at some point if she doesn’t learn it now, Mom’s Bank may not always be available.

A lot of banks just quit handling second party checks. I used to do it all the time in my youth, 'cause I travelled a lot.

I know lots of places on the south and west sides of Chicago that will cash a payroll check with NO ID, but they charge quite a lot. :slight_smile:

It’s not the size of the check that’s the hold up. As I posted earlier, she’s a 2.5 hour drive away. Which means spending most of my day traveling (plus the resultant expenses), and giving my 11YO the choice of spending most of her day traveling, or most of her day home alone! Like me, her loving father is 2.5 hours away, only in the opposite direction! (I’m in WV; hubby works out of town in Baltimore; 19YO is halfway between, in western Maryland).

Don’t know about the laws there. I do know she works for a call center, so there’s probably not a pile of cash lying around.

[quote[Does she have a bank account? There are still free low/no checking accounts that allow the account holders to use the bank’s ATM for free.[/QUOTE]

Opening a bank account so her pay can be direct-deposited is the first item on her agenda, after her new photo ID arrives. Ugh.

I think the strangest part of the story is her license expired at 19. What the hell is that about? Shouldn’t it expire at 21?

There are lots of ways for you to send her money that don’t involve a 2.5 hour drive. It still may take until tuesday though because of the holiday, but if I were you I’d investigate that angle.

Well, it wasn’t a license, it was a learner’s permit. Those expire much more rapidly than driver’s licenses do.