where do I get a long raincoat poncho?

from what I can see on the web, all the nice waterproof vinyl ponchos have the length of a bit more than 50 inches. This despite the typical American male height of over 70 inches and also that if you wear a backpack under the poncho its effective length and hence effectiveness in keeping rain away is further reduced. I mean, are these things designed for the build of a North Korean female or something…

Anyway, so are there longer ponchos on sale out there that I wasn’t able to find? And is there a reason for the popularity of this particular size, other than the manufacturers’ desire to economize on the vinyl, quality be damned? Why don’t we see new entrants on this market with better products?

How much of yourself are you looking to protect? If you must, wear water proof pants and boots. Honestly, a longer poncho just increases your chances of tripping over it. Also, I think you can find ponchos meant to cover you and your pack.

there are ponchos and raincoat cut to fit over packs. the raincoat has a area that unsnaps to expand.

Just buy a rainsuit consisting of jacket & pants, & waterproof boots. You’ll stay much drier than you would with a poncho - doesn’t matter what the length is, one good gust of wind and much of your body will wind up getting soaked. If you’re concerned about keeping the contents of your backpack dry, just pack all your gear in waterproof bags/pouches.

MEC (Mountain Equipment Company) carries rain ponchos made to fit over your backpack but as someone who wears a lot of ankle length skirts you really don’t want to be hiking in the rain with a poncho that’s flapping around your feet. Knee length with the suggested boots and pants from above seems to be the best option.