I have an... issue with normal pans, are there many options?

I’ve gotten rid of most of my stuff and am gleeful at the opportunity to get new pots and pans. I’ve been saying I was going to buy glass because, well, I have an issue with stainless steel. Touching it, washing it, letting a metal utensil touch it… Ack. Yes, this goes for stainless steel appliances, too. I can handle normal table ware, but that brushed surface on appliances and pans makes my skin crawl.

So, I was thinking glass. But are there other, better, options for pans with very smooth, non-cringe inducing textures? Will I regret glass?

The only choices that come to mind are Stainless, Cast Iron, Aluminum, Glass, and Ceramic. I assume all the metals are out, so that leaves glass and ceramic, and their major drawback is that they break. So unless you are a klutz, go for it.

I find heat retention a much bigger drawback with glass, particularly for sauces. Don’t go for glass if you want fine control over temperature.

You could get cast iron enamelware. Smooth ceramic surface, cast iron disperses heat well. Le Cruset is one of the most familiar brands, although there are plenty of others.

I’m working my way to replacing most of my cookware with Prizerware. It’s difficult because they haven’t been made in decades, but man, do I love them. They may be heavy (hell, no maybe about it, they *are *heavy), but they cook like a dream.

I am… not gifted in the grace department. At all. Not even a little bit.

I forgot about copper. Very expensive. Is that a problem too?

Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve never touched copper pans, so I don’t know if they are a smooth surface or a brushed one.

I hadn’t even thought about enameled cast iron, Morgyn. My sister had some La Creuset and I don’t remember ever being bothered by the texture, though the weight definitely makes them more of a challenge to move around. Thanks for reminding me.

Has anyone ever heard of this sort of cookware? Bialetti Aeternum 2-Quart Covered Sauce Pan. They’re saying it’s aluminum but ceramic-coated on the inside and silicone on the outside. Sound nutty?

So the problem is that you don’t like or have an aversion to the brushed finish of most stainless steel as used on appliances? Have you considered getting cookware with a shiny finish? I think it’s available in either stainless steel or aluminum.

The pans I currently have are very shiny, they just have a very similar texture to the non-shiny ones.

I have been hand washing dishes for the past 16 years and just the sound of a scrubby dish sponge against stainless steel sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. I associate that texture with that sound, now. I’m not claiming this is normal. :smiley:

OK, then as someone else said, the other options are aluminum, cast iron (with or without enamel), glass and ceramic. Except for the aluminum, these options tend to be heavy. I’d recommend wandering around a good housewares store (e.g., the Cellar at Macy’s or Williams-Sonoma) until you find something you can bear to be around.

Or just hire someone to cook and do the dishes for you.

Er, what about crappy nonstick pans? Most of mine have a slightly dimpled, black something-or-other exterior (what, you think I know what that stuff is? I didn’t buy them, they just appear) and teflon inside, neither of which have the same texture as steel. Granted, some do have steel exteriors, but not all.

Now, I’m not saying they’re the pinnacle of cookware or anything, but they work pretty well, they’re cheap, light, hard to break, and they’re non-icky.

Get a dishwasher. Otherwise, cast iron with ceramic is your best option for functional cookware.

The enameled cast iron is expensive, but it’s awesome to cook with. I love mine, and the texture is completely unlike stainless steel. I’d personally go with a combination of that and some non-stick pans that are painted-slick on the outside and teflon on the inside.

They can be hard to move around, yes. But damn, if you want a pan that Will Not Move on the cook top, they’re aces. When I’m using them, I can use a spatula or something to stir things without having to use my off hand to hold the pan still. Sometimes having that extra hand free is very, very useful.

Earplugs are a lot cheaper. :slight_smile:

I’m not the neighborhood’s best cook, but 33+ years ago I decided I liked Corningware. Goes from the freezer to the stove top to the oven to the microwave to the dining room table with out flinching. Works on electric, gas, or glass stove tops. Goes in the dishwasher. Doesn’t rust. For stubborn stains, Bon Ami cleans it right up. I guess it is medium heavy. Not as heavy as cast iron, but heavier than some cheap stuff. I broke one pot in the last 33 years, otherwise they look near new. Corningware does a horrible job on frying an egg, but we have a little metal and Teflon frying pan for that.

If you’re clumsy, don’t get glass. I second TexasDriver’s suggestion for Corningware. I am incredibly clumsy, and I’ve never broken Corningware by dropping it. I have exploded it, by putting the wrong kind on the stove burner. So if you’re like me, only buy the ones that are stovetop safe.

But wouldn’t Corningware sound like scratching on glass when it’s scrubbed?

Several places have nice knock-off versions of Le Creuset that look awfully tempting.

I would go for iron or copper, they are quite different from each other, but both have a lot of advantages. I have both and use them a lot.

I have exploded glass pans, too, although I babied them like crazy. It was about 30 years ago, so maybe they are sturdier now. That is what makes me avoid glass now. Cleaning up that hot chocolate wasn’t fun!