This may be quite a long shot.... [Song identification]

I don’t know if this goes here or not, but kindly move it if it doesn’t belong in this forum.

I heard a song on an FM country radio station the other day. The station is one of those that never identifies a song. In fact, they never talk except to identify the station call letters every so often. Just country music, mostly modern day. I have no idea who the artist was although it may have been a group or duo. I can’t really remember any of the lyrics except that the song was about a guy not being able to get over a woman and he figured the only way to get over her was to die.

Now if THAT isn’t a long shot with practically no information to go on, I don’t know what is. :smack: But if anyone has any ideas, I’d really appreciate it.

This is the place for it, and I’ve edited the title of the thread to be a li’l clearer.

God, that could be almost ANY country song. I got nothin’.

Good luck.

Guy or gal singer? Not that I have any idea, but it might help narrow it down.

Brings to mind “He Stopped Loving Her Today” by George Jones. About. Lyrics. Listen. Only song I know with that theme.

ETA: Of course, I haven’t really paid attention to top 40 radio of any genre for many years now, so if it is modern I probably wouldn’t know.

Could it be Better Off In a Pine Box by Doug Stone?

Partial lyrics:

Girl I’d be better off in a pine box,
On a slow train back from Georgia,
Or in the grey walls of a prison doing time.
I think I’d rather die,
And go to hell and face the devil,
Than to lie here with you and him together on my mind.

Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley and Alison Krause
A hauntingly beautiful song

Speaking of longshots, how about you give us the name (call letters, frequency) of the radio station? AIUI, broadcasters are still required to keep a log of all recordings they play, and you can often find the playlist for the past 24 hours on their website. Won’t help if you heard it more than 24 hours ago, but if it comes on again, you could have a valuable tool for finding out what you want to know.

I’m betting that’s it. I googled a bit and found that, but didn’t look up the lyrics til you mentioned it.

Persistence pays I guess. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I finally figured out the name of the song.

Tryin to get over you by Vince Gill.

I know this thread was intended to help the OP identify a song, but when you’re quoting from lyrics, please don’t use more than four or five lines from any one song.

Gah! I’m sorry; I didn’t know, and won’t do that again. >.<