Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM

The Voice [season thread]

Well, I jsut watched the 10 minute preview and I think it's going to be great fun. Cool premise, a very different take.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM

There is a show starting next week called "The Voice"?!
Gee - you would think NBC would do a few promos or somethin'...*

*extreme sarcasm, due to the non-stop, 36 promos per hour on this show.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post

They're probably assuming they'll get all the Dune fans to automatically tune in.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

A few years ago, NBC did Clash of the Choirs. There were celebrities "leading" each choir and they picked the people for the choirs. Later, I read there was actually a real choir director behind the scenes training them. Nick Lachey's choir won that time.

I bet there's real behind the scenes vocal coaches on hand to help train on this show too. A great singer like Christina Aguilera doesn't necessarily have any experience as a vocal coach.

Blake Shelton was on Clash of the Choirs and now The Voice.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm counting on the Dope to report back and lets us know if this was any good. Most of the South is under weather warnings. No tv for us tonight. I've been looking forward to this show for three weeks.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM

We're enjoying it. Love most of the song choices people are making.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm LOVING it - it's so exciting! I am missing the geeks and freaks from AI, though - these are all good singers - some just aren't finding a home.

And FRENCHIE'S BACK! I thought that was her when I saw her (I missed the name), and Cee-Lo recognized her right away.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM

So far I like it a lot. We'll see how compelling it is once the coaching is underway.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Couple of comments:
How were the singers chosen to perform - who were the "judges" who picked those who get to audition and what was that process?

Picking the first couple of singers is easy - just go for it - but as their group starts to get nearer and nearer to the magic number of 8, are they going to get pickier?

And if three of the judges get their 8, does that mean the last one has to take the next singers or can they just say, "no...no...no...no..." until they hear someone they like? If so, this could take months. Do the judges know there are only, for instance, 40 singers to choose from?

So far, the show is not horrible - but none of the singers has exactly "wowed" me.

BTW, the episode is being repeated again tonight, in case anyone missed the first one due to not seeing the 4,879 promos leading up to this show.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm guessing they spent a boatload of money getting the four judges onboard, so they really need to make this a hit.

Does anyone know if Ceelo has a specific genetic condiiton or something (such as mild dwarfism of some kind?) that makes his limbs so...well, dwarf-like? Cuz it seems like something a little more pronounced than just normal genetic variation.

And while I don't always like her choices, I've recently come to agree that Christina really does have one of, if not the greatest voice of her generation. And definitely the best and most interesting of all the supervoice "divas" (Celine, Whitney, Mariah, any other completely boring great voice)

I like that they played "Crazy" for the performance song.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I really liked the performance to open the show - what an interesting group of very talented, different singers singing together. And who knew Adam Levine could play the drums?!?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM

A few quick and worthless coments.

Christina Aguilera looks machine-made. And did she purposely wait for Adam Levine to turn around for neck-tat woman before she did?

I wonder what this mentoring will entail.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Your comments are always worth it, Biggirl.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM

I wonder how versatile some of these singers are. Like the bald chick that sounds like Janis Joplin. A great novelty act, but can she sing anything else in her own style?

I'm curious to see which of these singers have any real training. It's hard to beat college vocal classes. They should be more coachable. An untrained singer can have a great natural voice. But, may be harder to coach if they don't read music, or have any musical experience.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Christina Aguilera looks machine-made. And did she purposely wait for Adam Levine to turn around for neck-tat woman before she did?

I wonder what this mentoring will entail.
I got the impression from the show that the stars were engaging in hijinks (Adam Levine especially), but that made it more entertaining, so yay! It was fascinating to see how the criteria were changing throughout the evening - at the start, getting one star to want you was great. By the end, I was judging people by how many stars they got interested.

I did feel sorry for the ones that got no interest. I didn't always hear what made them want one singer over another one. I think the 56 year old from Jersey might have gotten picked if she hadn't chosen such a dated song to sing.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Holy crap, that was fun! This is the premise that American Idol should be using this year. Celebs make better coaches that judges.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynda View Post
<snip> Celebs make better coaches that judges.
That's it - that hits the nail on the head why this show is so much more fun than AI.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 AM

I just got around to watching this on the DVR, and I have to agree - It was a lot of fun to watch. I liked watching the celebrities try to fake each other out with the button, and trying to sell themselves to unknowns. It helps that - surprisingly - the celebrities have fairly engaging personalities. They all seemed likable - even the guy from Maroon 5, who I always thought was kind of a weasel. I'll be tuning in for the next episode.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
They're probably assuming they'll get all the Dune fans to automatically tune in.
I don't watch tv... that's why I opened the thread, though.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Xenia

God, I've been on this planet quite a while, but I don't think I've ever loved a female voice as much as Xenia's. (and I was weaned on Heart and Joan Osborne) And Xenia's a kid??? Wow.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post

Before you run and hide
He's gonna get you
You got no choice
Because you can't escape The Voice
[/The Alan Parsons Project]
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 PM

Well they have their 32 vocalists selected. Most of those faces are just a wild blur in my mind. I find it impossible to remember any of them except the bald chick that sings like Janis Joplin. Her unique look is a bit unforgettable.

I wonder if they'll address stage presence during the training? Having a great voice isn't enough. You have to sell yourself on stage. That dude singing Cee Lo's song looked like a wild mountain man. They need a weed eater to whack back that beard.

I'm curious to see if any of the 2nd chance rejects get very far. I could tell Adam wasn't very enthusiastic about his last two picks. He had no choice except take them.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-03-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

I wonder if they'll address stage presence during the training? Having a great voice isn't enough. You have to sell yourself on stage. That dude singing Cee Lo's song looked like a wild mountain man. They need a weed eater to whack back that beard.
That's the part I'm dreading. All this hype about "the voice" and the blind audition and how some awesome voices in the 70s were funny looking people, and yet you just know eventually there will be a big makeover episode, right? I hope I'm wrong, but...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

I enjoyed the blind auditions, and I hope the next part is okay, but I have to say that from the promos it looks lame. Singing battles? Complete with a faux boxing ring? Singers trying to outwail each other in duets? Ugh. A format guaranteed to reward the power singers and destroy any nuance or subtlety that makes a singer truly great.

I hope I'm wrong, but when I saw that I had a visceral negative reaction to the whole concept.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

I saw parts of the first two episodes. How many times did Carson Daly tell us that the Cee Lo, Adam, etc only hear the voices, and do not see the contestants.

I get it Carson, they are blind auditions.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

I'm worried too. Especially the boxing ring. That seems pretty lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I enjoyed the blind auditions, and I hope the next part is okay, but I have to say that from the promos it looks lame. Singing battles? Complete with a faux boxing ring? Singers trying to outwail each other in duets? Ugh. A format guaranteed to reward the power singers and destroy any nuance or subtlety that makes a singer truly great.

I hope I'm wrong, but when I saw that I had a visceral negative reaction to the whole concept.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I hope they show us more coaching and less screeching. My wager - I think CeeLo will end up being the best coach, with Blake in second place. I would fall off my chair in surprise if Christina turns out to be a good coach, but stranger things have happened.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Background article on the previous career experience of the various Voice contestants. A lot of them have experience as background singers, musical theater, songwriting, and even acting.

I have no problem with that. For me, I think shows like this are supposed to be for struggling musicians that are good enough to get some professional work. But, they never landed that recording contract and the big time concert tour. If an absolute novice waltzes in here and wins this thing I'll be very surprised.

Several of the singers are profiled here with their prior experience.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/04/th...o-tori-taylor/

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-06-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Watched it yesterday online. Very surprised by how much I loved it. Jeff Jenkins, was amazing. http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists...jenkins/video/

And, I'm in love with Blake Shelton. His tweets are hilarious. And 6'5", woohoo!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Here's a better link for Jeff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbUQTfYMvA
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

The Voice : Battle Rounds I (May 10, 2011)

This is interesting. There are singers looking daggers at each other; I have a feeling claws are coming out when the singers are going head-to-head.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM

I watched this show for the first time tonight, so I don't have any preconceptions about the singers, but it seems to me that Tyler Robinson wuz robbed.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 PM

I liked the duets tonight. It was nice to be able to hear them head to head, singing the same song. I agreed with all the choices except for picking the girl singer in the Leather and Lace duet. I liked her voice, but she seemed really scared. I thought the guy edged her out.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 PM

I'm relieved the only bad blood was between the two black ladies in the first round. The others all seemed like good sports that appreciated this once in a lifetime chance.

Agreed. I' m surprised the high school girl was picked. She needs some time to mature and train. I would have gone with the guy too.
Quote:
I agreed with all the choices except for picking the girl singer in the Leather and Lace duet. I liked her voice, but she seemed really scared. I thought the guy edged her out.
I knew that first girl eliminated had an attitude. I guess it runs in the family. I wonder if they keep the families further away from now on?
Quote:
coach Christina Aguilera, who is known for her warm demeanor towards hopefuls and for bestowing hugs on the talent she chooses for her team, had to call security because she was attacked by one of the contestant’s family members!

Apparently, here’s a loose account of what went down: There was a sing-off between Tarralyn Ramsey and Frenchie Davis, the latter of which is a former ‘American Idol’ contestant from a few years back as well as a Broadway singer, so if her name rings a bell, that’s why. Things got tense after the two sang Beyonce‘s ‘Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)’ and a family member attacked Xtina. It was not clear whose family member felt the need to go after Aguilera, either.
http://popcrush.com/christina-aguile...nds-the-voice/

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Psst - I started a thread for this week's "The Voice" competitions.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 PM

I don't like the format at all. Having them sing duets head-to-head doesn't make much sense from an artistic standpoint, and I noticed a couple of them had to add extra glory notes at the end to try to get the 'last word' in. Not my cup of tea. I did like most of the singers, though, and I thought the judges made the right choices.

The best part of the night for me was when I saw Paul Mirkovitch behind the piano. He was the musical director for "Rock Star Supernova", and the leader of "The House Band", which is by far the best band any of these shows have ever had. So I looked up the band online, and sure enough, it's mostly the same guys. They have a new lead guitarist, but all the rest of them are the same. So at least we'll get good music behind the singers. It bodes well for the quality of the live shows once we get these 'battle' rounds out of the way.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM

I thought the singers sounded better than on AI, mostly due to better sound production and a better band.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

If the show continues, I'm not sure they'll do head-to-head singing again, but it is interesting to see a different take on the usual competition. In this instance I think I prefer American Idol's method of making people team up and perform as a team - I think that particular crucible makes or breaks the potential contestants with all its various stresses and problems.

I would have preferred the geek with the beard (Tyler) to have been chosen over the other guy (hey, did you know Tyler was GAY?!? he may have mentioned it once or 15 times).
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM

I thought Gay boy got robbed by pretty boy Country singer, who wasn't all that pretty when he thought he was about to lose.

Frenchy seems like a bitch on wheels - granted, a decent voice, but I hardly think audiences are going to vote for her endearing personality. Plus, it might not be such a good strategy to mention being booted from American Idol every third sentence...makes her seem like a loser with a chip on her shoulder.

The other two girls were both about equal, but I would have picked the black chick simply because she really looked like she wanted to win the most of anyone who sang all night.

The dude singing with the girl was OK, but hated the hat.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I would have preferred the geek with the beard (Tyler) to have been chosen over the other guy (hey, did you know Tyler was GAY?!? he may have mentioned it once or 15 times).
I think just about everyone agrees with this, it seems, and I venture that he lost precisely because he's gay. Blake looked pained when he made his decision in a way that suggested to me he knew he was making the choice for the wrong reason.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. Guess Tyler shouldn't have come out just yet. First you win, then you rub all their faces in it.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
I think just about everyone agrees with this, it seems, and I venture that he lost precisely because he's gay. Blake looked pained when he made his decision in a way that suggested to me he knew he was making the choice for the wrong reason.
Yeah - the strong feeling in our house was that Blake didn't think he could defend having a gay guy on his team to the rest of country music. Yes, that is a bigoted response to a potentially bigoted choice (just to attempt to defuse that line of discussion).
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM

The Jokes on Blake. He's still picked a gay guy. Did you notice the awkward silence when Reba asked the County singer about gf's?

Doesn't matter to me. It's about The Voice not who they spend time with.

With this format it's going to be tough learning names. We won't see Frenchie, the country dude etc. again until a month from now. Next week is 4 more strangers.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking about this a bit more - did Blake find out Tyler was gay after he picked him? In that case, he sounds like a real shit if he dumped him because he was gay (and apparently you can't be gay in country music - or should I say, openly gay, since I'm sure there are gay people in country music).
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I was thinking about this a bit more - did Blake find out Tyler was gay after he picked him? In that case, he sounds like a real shit if he dumped him because he was gay (and apparently you can't be gay in country music - or should I say, openly gay, since I'm sure there are gay people in country music).
My country music hero.

For all I know, coming out killed her career, but still.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
My country music hero.

For all I know, coming out killed her career, but still.
Jeebus...the first "hitmaking country singer" to come out of the closet did so in May of 2010?! Oy.

Has there been a second? I'm guessing not...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I guess if you consider k.d. lang a country singer, there's two. Doesn't look like there's any openly gay men country singers. (My Google search also returned "related search - Country singer Kenny Chesney" - maybe Google knows something we don't? )
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
Not me. I liked Patrick's voice better, not his sexuality. I don't think it is fair to Blake to speculate that he made his decision on anything other their singing.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM

I interrupt this The Voice thread to say: Yay! The Sing Off is coming back!

I now return you to the thread in progress. . .

Soooo Christina thinks Large Afro Guy has a nice package. Too bad he'll not be around long enough for her to inspect it. Ba da bum tissshh
Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Also, and I know this has been mentioned many times already, but Cee-Lo's little T-Rex arms bother the heck out of me.