Famous scenes from movies most people haven't seen.

Everyone knows the scene of Jack Nicholson ordering toast in the diner. Thing is, the vast majority of filmgoers who know the scene have never seen the movie it appeared in: Five Easy Pieces.

Similarly, the scene where Fred Astaire dances on the ceiling and where he dances with the hat rack, but most people have not seen the movie they were in: Royal Wedding*

What other movies are famous for a particular scene or scene, but which are not usually seen in their entirety?
*Trivia alert – Fred’s love interest in the film was Winston Churchill’s daughter IRL>

The scene on the Odessa Steps in The Battleship Potemkin is one of the most famous in the history of film, but not one person in a hundred who know that scene have seen the film.

The scene from Casablanca in which Rick (Bogart) says “Play it again, Sam!”

Everyone “knows” this line from the film, many people have “repeated” it in a Bogart-like accent, but actually - Rick doesn’t say it! He says “If you can play it for her, you can play it for me. So play it!”

Yep, that’s what I came in to say. I’d seen that scene either as a clip or referenced (such as in the movie The Untouchables) dozens of times, but I’d never seen the film itself until last month when the Music Box in Chicago showed a new print with a new recording of the original score. It was so great to see on the big screen. The whole movie is good and that’s not even the most tension-filled and exciting sequence, just the easiest to show and reference.

Other movies I’ve seen in the past year in the theater that would fit into this category are Metropolis and the 9-hour version of Shoah, both very worth watching in their entirety.

Rosebud
You talking to me?

I’ll bet most people have seen Harold Lloyd hanging from the clock hands but don’t know what movie it comes from.

Although it’s less true now than when I was a kid, I don’t think a lot of people have see Freaks and yet are familiar with the bit where they go, “One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble gooble-gobble!”.

I do think any kind of film buff would have see Casablanca, though.

How about the scene where they’re running in the surf in Chariots of Fire?

Or Marlon Brando yelling “Stella!” in A Streecar Named desire.

Again, I’d hate to think of Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver as examples of films that are “not usually seen”.

People haven’t seen Citizen Kane? I doubt that one.

How many people could name “that movie where James Cagney shoves a grapefruit in that dame’s face”?

Since the OP mentions one Nicholson film, how about Jack’s “Heeeeres Johnny” scene in “The Shining”?

More people alive now have seen That’s Entertainment than have seen most of the movies excerpted in it.

Beyond that, there’s the chess scene in The Seventh Seal.

Hitler melting down in Downfall.

Do you really? I’d be shocked if people hadn’t seen Taxi Driver because it’s a film by Martin Scorsese, one of the greatest living American filmmakers. He’s still producing films, so his oeuvre is still relevant to today’s movie-goers. Orson Welles, on the other hand, has been dead for more than a quarter of a century, and his last major film was made nearly 40 years ago. *Citizen Kane * is a black and white film released in the 1940s. It’s seen by serious film-watchers and people who enjoy watching old classic American films. Those type of people are not in the majority. The whole rosebud thing has been circulating in pop culture for awhile now. It’s such a mainstay that I’d surprised to meet somebody who hadn’t been exposed to it in some way.

To contribute, I’ll add Marilyn Monroe’s skirt scene from The Seven Year Itch

That’s not really what this thread is about, that’s more for a thread about misquoted movies, even so, I think a lot of people have seen Casablanca.

However, I’ll attempt to satisfy both a misquoted movie as well as famous scene from a movie most people haven’t seen.
Many people often will misquote The Treasure of The Sierra Madre by saying “Badges, we don’t need no steenkin badges”, here’s the real line.

Ooh, good one. Although I have sen it, the OP is correct with me, I have not seen the movies he mentions but I have seen the scenes.

From the past I think many have seen either the Picket’s charge or the attempted rape scenes from “The Birth of a nation” (“The Klansman”) 1915. Usually on documentaries that note on the racism from the movie that prevents it from being shown on TV nowadays.

Another Brando scene. Ask most people what On the Waterfront is about and they’ll say it’s a boxing movie because all they know is I could have been a contender.

Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in drag, in Some Like it Hot.

The futuristic city in Metropolis.

"Fasten Your Seatbelts . . . " from All About Eve. (I could be wrong about whether “most people” have seen this.)

That misquote’s used in Blazing Saddles, which a lot of people will have watched. So they’re correctly quoting a misquote!

Really good call on the Five Easy Pieces, Harold Lloyd and James Cagney films!