Trendy Foods That Make You Ask "Why"?

I don’t understand a lot of the hype for:
-fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese…little balls of tasteless putty
-exotic coffees (don’t mention kopi liwok)
-quinoa (tastes like little beads of styrofoam)
-“free range chicken”-usually tough
-miniature vegetables (no flavor)
I also don’t understand why the practice of monding your food-why put the steal on top of tyhe mashed potatoes? I prefer stuff arranged where I can see everything at once.

Huh? Mounding I can figure out, but steal?

Sandwich wraps–tortilla dishes are meant to be served hot and as Mexican food.
Aioli–what the hell is this, anyway?
Chipotle peppers/mayonnaise/etc.–I like spicy stuff, but not the smoky flavor.

Steak.

“Chipotle” drives me nuts. It’s a stupid word for a stupid jalapeno pepper, nothing to hype up.

Not crazy about “in” drinks. Cosmo, mojito, bimbo juice!

That is all. :mad:

“Fusion” stuff, especially when it’s really not much of a stretch, like Vietnamese/Thai.

Fuck fusion. If I want Thai, I want Thai.

If you’re going to do fusion, have the balls to fuse something INTERESTING. I want to see Helmut Nguyen’s House of Bavarian-Vietnamese Fusion Cuisine, or The Norwexican (Herring tacos FTW.)

No, it’s not. A chipotle is a dried, smoked jalapeno. It tastes significantly different than a jalepeno. If you’re getting jalepenos, and they’re calling them chipotles, then you have something to complain about, but it’s not just another word for jalapeno.

Like I said, it is a jalapeno. The rest of your post I did not mention. By the way it is jal-a-peno. Thank you for the corrections.

By this logic, applesauce is the same as apples, pork belly is the same as bacon, and all eggs are omelets.

You’re right on the spelling, though. I’m typing on an ipad and it’s a hassle.

Would you like some grapes? How about some raisins? Oh, wait they’re exactly the same thing.

Anyway OP, also pomegranate or acai this-and-that. Not that I mind them, it’s just the hype that annoys me, everybody doing it at once as if it’s some great new thing that has swept the world when really, not so much.

Both Norway and Germany do have sizable Vietnamese communities. I’m sure there have been many attempts at fusing those cuisines.

Crudités :smiley:

There’s a TexMex-Thai place near me at work. Does that suffice? Curry burritos.

“Marble top” ice cream places where they mix in the ingredients. I’m fine with the idea but almost all of them use awful ice cream as the base so I don’t understand why the big chains are popular.

Bubble tea. Looks scary and hideous.

What I don’t get is why every major fast-food chain seems contractually obligated to bandwagon all the food trends (including several mentioned above) a full 4 or 5 years after they have peaked, in a pathetic attempt of cashing in on a fad that has already long since crested.

McDonalds for a panini?

Angus beef at Burger King?

Chipotle essence at Taco Bell?

(and yes, I actually do get what they are doing, but it still doesn’t explain why they are always SO late to the party)

The Spanish would like to have a few words with you.

I don’t know whether you wanted your question answered, but a traditional aioli is garlic, olive oil, and egg.

Oh, food trucks.

While I’ve had good food from trucks there seems to be a sudden acceptance that food served from a truck is somehow automatically superior. There’s one food truck near me that has people waiting 20 minutes in line to eat a food that isn’t really meant to be eaten while standing that is actually more expensive than and only as good as the same item available from five different restaurants within a half dozen blocks.

I’ve tried it. It is.

I’m a bit hesitant to admit this, but I just don’t get the whole “crazy about sous vide” thing. I mean, it’s fine, I guess, and a good tool to have in a chef’s arsenal, but the handful of times I had something cooked sous vide, I actually preferred the more traditional prep.

Also, I’ve said this before, but bacon. The whole bacon trend annoys the ever living shit out of me, for some reason. Yes, bacon is delicious. (Hell, I make my own from time to time.) But, goddamit, it doesn’t need to be on everything and it easily overpowers food with its agressive flavor. Luckily, I think the bacon craze peaked about two years ago and is on the decline.