How often should I wash my Brita filter pitcher?

I change out the filter every three months. But I’m at six months now with the pitcher.

I keep the thing in the fridge all the time, except when pouring water or filling the reservoir.

So basically the entire usage of the pitcher is this: Fridge -> remove to pour a glass of water -> refill reservoir -> back into fridge. Whole process is no more than two minutes.

I don’t notice any funny smells or see any scumming or growth. And the water still tastes great.

How often should you wash these things?

I change the filter in mine every 90 days. At that time I run the pitcher, cover, and insert through the dishwasher. (top rack)

When I had one and forgot when I last replaced the filter, I did it when I started seeing those little black pellets.

Why not just do it when you change the filter?

Joe

I wait to change the filter till it seems to take too long to filter. Then I wash the reservoir and change the filter. Or in three months in any case.

After about two months, I change the filter. That’s when I give it a good washing. I can see mold starting to develop in the upper chamber at times.

I wash it when I change the filter (8 weeks + procrastination). I keep it in the kitchen, where it develops a film of oil from cooking (hood doesn’t work).

About every 3-5 months. I disassemble the entire thing and go over it good with a green scrubbing pad with Dawn to remove any calcium deposits and stuff like that, then a very thorough rinse before it gets put back together and refilled.

I was mine every time I change the filter. I notice that the inside of the pitcher feels slightly slimy after 3 months of filtering water.

Considering I’ve had mine for over a year and I’ve never washed it…seems about time now.