Can you open a delivered package, that you didn't order?

I’ve just received a package today that I didn’t order, it was left on my door step!
[ul]
[li]It has somebody else’s name on it, but my address.[/li][li]Was delivered by UPS, and has a tracking number.[/li][li]It’s about 1ft by 1ft large, I don’t know how somebody could miss it…[/li][/ul]

I’ve seen junk from from this name before, (which is on the package) which might have been from the previous person living there.
Not sure what to exactly do? I thought about opening it, or I suppose I could try to get it to the rightful owner…what do you think???

The package is neither your property nor your responsibility.

Call UPS and they will come and pick it up. They will return it to the sender.

Seconded.

I would probably hold it for a day or two and see if the person comes for it. My wife has done this twice, both well after we had moved, and she went back and checked with the new tenant and once got her stuff and once did not.

Call UPS and tell them to come pick up their package. Until it properly get’s to the recipient, it’s their responsibility.

Was it a cheesecake?

I’d look up the tracking number online.

Re: UPS, they delivered it to the address printed on the package. They did their job.

The hell with it, I’d open it. :smiley:

Do you owe anyone money? Could it be a subpoena?

If it was, the OP could just deny ever having seen any package. This would not be a valid service.

So did you open it?

More likely a fruitcake that’s been making the rounds since December.

Ha!
I just watched that one last night.

Or it could be drugs that were sent to you to be picked up by a stranger. I would call UPS immediately. I might even just take it to them rather than risk keeping it.

http://nycrpd.org/?p=4238

Does anyone else remember a commercial from the 80’s where a voice over said something like “If you get a package in the mail you didn’t order, you get to keep it - that’s the law!” For comedy they showed an Eskimo getting an electric fan, and saying “Thanks!” to the camera.

I don’t remember if the commercial clarified whether it had to be addressed to you or not…

True, but it’s step one for a collector or sever. Seeing that package is opened and not returned.

I haven’t opened the package yet, I’m still at work…

Yes it is addressed to me, but the name is wrong (somebody else’s name~weird).
I couldn’t get in trouble for opening, could I?
How about keeping whatever is inside it???

I haven’t got a citation, but I would imagine this only applies if it’s addressed to you. The idea is that someone willingly sent you something, so you’re under no obligation to return it.

I don’t know what the rules are regarding UPS packages, but without doing research I’d treat opening it as a felony, same as USPS, and proceed from there.

We one time had a box delivered to us by mistake. We opened it because we were expecting a package. It was full of Mp3 players. I called UPS or FedEx (don’t remember) and they started to give me directions on how I could take it to their central processing station. The guy was really put out when I insisted they come pick it up.

Well, they would have no way to “see” that it had been opened. Again, the OP can always say “what package”? No way to prove it hadn’t been stolen off his front porch before he got home from work.

No, you’d be in no trouble and yes you are within your legal rights to keep it.

Why not plug in the tracking number and see what the history is?