Can private citizens sue the Federal Reserve?

Anonymous has put out a call for help in creating a lawsuit against the Federal Reserve.

Regardless of what you think about Anonymous and whether this is anything more than cheap propaganda I was wondering if such a thing is even possible.

The Fed is an independent bank. They pay for their own operations and the government does not get a direct say in its operations.

Still, I can’t imagine that Joe Citizen can sue them for their actions as the Fed would be perpetually litigating an untold number of cases.

Is the Fed protected by stature from being sued? Would it be a standing issue that no one could meet to sue them? Something else? Or are they theoretically open to lawsuits?

Doh! :smack:

Should be “statute”.

Whatever the statute says, I’m positive that this would fall because of lack of standing, just as the suits for Obama’s birth certificate fails that test. No individual or group of individuals would qualify.

Not sure I could answer this question, but is there an explanation of why they believe that they have a case against the Fed that doesn’t involve YouTube videos? I’m curious what the cause of action would be.

I can’t represent that the cases I’m citing are definitive, but to the extent that they are, they establish that the individual Federal Reserve Banks can sue and be sued mostly like private corporations, but the Board of Governors is protected by sovereign immunity.