What was a badger doing in Huntington, VA?

I was riding the DC Metro out of Huntington station yesterday and I saw a badger climbing down one of the sloping walls on the side of the station. At least, I think it was a badger. It had a black and white head with small ears, a brown body, and a fluffy brown tail. It was about the size of a domestic cat, but was definitely not a cat - the legs were too short, and its motion would best be described as lumbering, not the quick movement of a cat. My thought when I saw it was ‘badger??’ and after looking at photos of the American Badger, I can confirm that if it was not a badger, it looked exactly like a badger.

Northern VA is definitely not in the normal habitat range for the American Badger. So my question is: WTF was a badger doing in the Metro? Or alternatively, is there an animal that looks exactly identical to the American Badger but is not a badger?

Possibly a woodchuck, which has a similar body shape and gait. These animals are sometimes mistaken for each other. But the woodchuck doesn’t have the head markings.

Skunks can be brown sometimes. Pic

Yeah, but think about the variety of terrain covered in that map, why wouldn’t drift southeast, maybe the maps wrong and not the Badger :slight_smile:

That’s a thought, too. The badger’s documented range isn’t all that far from the OP (they extend into Ohio), and you can find a few statements that their range has been expanding.

You wouldn’t expect a badger to drive into DC, now would you? Parking is terrible.

(I sincerely hope it wasn’t a *stinking *badger.)

Brown, eh? Perhaps it was a wooden badger?

About its body, did it appear fairly low to the ground, almost flat? That’s a fairly striking feature about them when you see one and I’d imagine it allows them to better keep their footing and not get their belly exposed in a fight.

Plus, you’ve got to think about behavior…I’d guess that a skunk would be more likely to be toodling around a Metro station than a badger, but I could be wrong.

Ugh. If there’s one thing DC does not need right now, they need no stinking badgers.

It did in fact look very flat, but the only references I can find to ‘wooden badger’ on the Internet are from Monty Python, so I can’t tell if this is a serious post.

I’ll note that it was definitely not a skunk, because the stripe did not continue down the animal’s back. I think a badger that wandered down from Ohio is the most likely story, though it could have been a very dirty raccoon that had lost its ears in a fight.

Was it saying “Ahhh a snake, a snaaaake!”?

Stole my joke!

…Badging?

We badgers are badgASS, man. We go wherever we want to.
Metro, BART, short bus, Paris Métro, monorail… don’t even try to predict where we’ll show up next.

VA. isn’t in the Big Ten , so maybe it’s a non conference game?