I know why there are "single shoes" on the side of the road!!!

Okay, I have TOTALLY figured it out! Years and years of wondering, and absolutely no answer, here it is. It dawned on me today:

I had seen an episode of “Cops” once where a person was asked to step out of the car for a sobriety test. The suspect was unable to walk due to paraphenilia in his shoe. Well, there’s the answer. A person gets pulled over, while walking outside of the car for a sobriety test the cop suspects something in his shoe. The shoe is removed, the paraphenilia taken out of the shoe, the suspect arrested, and the shoe left there. It’s simple. Hope that answers that mystery!

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, krisbethrose, we’re glad to have you with us. And it’s an interesting thought.

Minor administrative point: when you start a thread, it’s helpful to other readers to provide a link to the column in question. Helps keep us on the same page, presumably stops people from posting what Cecil already said, etc. No biggie, you’ll know for next time. In this case, I assume: Why do you always see just one shoe by the side of the road? - The Straight Dope

Anyhow, as I said, welcome!