Character chameleons: great acting

I’m making a video for my middle school drama students to help them understand character immersion. I need help coming up with examples of actors who during their career have convincingly played roles that are complete opposites of each other. It would be nice if you could tell me which roles too so I can try and clip some film.

Many of these students have little exposure to film outside of summer blockbusters and Disney cartoons so it completely blows their mind to see Gary Oldman, Stephen Root, or Charlize Theron in clips juxtaposing opposite characters they have played. It is good for them to see that it can be done.

Help me, thanks.

Gary Oldman is the guy who always gets cited in these threads. See him play very different roles in Sid and Nancy, True Romance, Dracula, The Fifth Element, and Batman Begins.

If you just want two performances that are pretty close to opposites, try True Romance and Batman Begins.

(Although, hmmm, not sure that True Romance performance would be right for middle schoolers. Maybe The Fifth Element instead.)

Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot and then his very next movie The Last of the Mohicans - you could hardly get two more different roles.

Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade and, well, pretty much anything else he’s been in.

Also maybe Charlize Theron in Sweet November versus Charlize Theron in Monster.

I think Edward Norton has a great range. Off the top of my head I’d compare his roles in “Keeping the Faith” and “American History X”. Actually, I guess he plays dark characters more often than not but KTF was a big departure.

Two of our best character actors in one scene: Benicio del Toro and Jeffrey Wright in Basquiat.

You can find them both in very different roles, Benicio del Toro in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, or The Pledge, or The Usual Suspects. Jeffrey Wright in Cadillac Records, or Broken Flowers, or Ride With the Devil, or Syriana.

Cate Blanchett plays a completely different character in every role.

Michael C. Hall in the series Six Feet Under versus Dexter.

Alan Rickman in Truly Madly Deeply vs. Alan Rickman in just about anything else.

Any two Meryl Streep films.

Tom Hardy. I just provided a trailer link to the insane-looking movie Bronson in the Drive thread. Who would guess that madman is played by the same actor who is the debonair and elegant Eames (aka The Forger in this trailer) in Inception? He’s also Tommy in the new movie Warrior.

Linda Hunt in The Year Of Living Dangerously & The Bostonians.

Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart & Spun.

Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys & Fight Club & Snatch.

Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon & Author! Author!.

Dustin Hoffman in Straw Dogs. If you have to have multiple movies, go with Lenny & Tootsie & Rain Main.

Cameron Diaz in There’s Something About Mary & Being John Malkovich.

Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours & Bowfinger (as Jiff).

I’d post more but I’m sleepy.

Okay, one more: Eric Bana in Chopper & Black Hawk Down.

And a nod to Equipoise for mentioning Tom Hardy’s awesome performance in Bronson.

Arnold Schwarzennegar in The Terminator and Kindergarten Cop.

Joe Pesci in Goodfellas and Lethal Weapon 3.

Burgess Meredith in Rocky and Clash of the Titans.

Paul Reubens in Pee Wee’s Big Adventure and Mystery Men.

Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales and Space Cowboys.

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo and Hook.

Will Ferrell in Anchorman and Lost in Translation.

Just do a review of the acting career of J.K. Simmons. Most of your students will be surprised to learn that all of those parts were played by the same guy.

The example I always cite for this is Ben Kingley, who played Gandi in Gandi, and sociopath Don Logan in Sexy Beast.

Johnny Depp as Capt Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka (two roles they will probably be familiar with), James Barrie in Finding Neverland and something older, maybe Gilbert Grape?

I go with Victor Garber: before he was a cold-blooded secret agent gunning people down in ALIAS or even a no-nonsense official in LEGALLY BLONDE, he was Jesus Christ as a face-painting song-and-dance man in floppy clown shoes and rainbow-colored suspenders in GODSPELL.

William H. Macy in Fargo and The Lincoln Lawyer.

You could show Robert Downey Jr in a quick clip as IRON MAN before showing his Oscar-nominated work in CHAPLIN and TROPIC THUNDER.

Are TV actors included? John Carroll Lynch first hit my radar as Drew’s cross-dressing brother on The Drew Carey show, but has played very different parts in Carnivale and Body of Proof. (He’s also been in several very good movies: Fargo, Zodiac, etc.)