What's the AMD equivalent of the i-5 processor?

I intend to buy myself a new computer for Christmas, and I’ve noticed that the manufacturer I’m definitely going with tends to have more models with AMD processors than Intel ones. I don’t dislike AMD processors - my last two computers have had them - but it’s not as easy to figure out how “good” they are as the i-3 thru i-7 classifications, and because of this it’s harder to compare specs not only between models with AMD and those with Intel, but between 2 or more models with different AMD processors as well.

From what I’ve read about i-3, i-5, and i-7 processors, the i-5 is what I’m looking for to suit my needs. What are the equivalent AMD processors? Quad-cores, six-cores, something in the Phenom II family?

Thanks.

The exact processor model matters, as does the clock speed, and some types of processors are faster at some things and others faster at different things. For an oversimplified all around general score though, there are plenty of CPU charts around that you can look at for comparison.

Here’s one set, for example:

On the high mid range chart, an Intel Core i5 540M @ 2.53GHz and an AMD Phenom 9450e Quad-Core had the same score.

AMD processors aren’t as quick per core as the Intel ones these days. However, they are cheaper, so make sense in a budget system.

Generally true, but again, you need to check the specific processors in question.

Thank you, that’s handy. And weird. Some of the better marks come from processors in computers made in 2009, far better processors in some of those than brand new computers.

Unfortunately, that site only lists Passmark scores. I’ve found the Anandtech bench page (CPU Benchmarks - Compare Products on AnandTech) to be considerably more useful.