What's the Deal with the Falkland Islands?

I have been chatting with an online friend from Argentina and he indicates that there is still a lot of sentiment that the Falkland Islands should be theirs. He seems to feel that the government is still asserting its claim and he suggests that if things continue, the next president might be hawkish on the matter.

I know basically nothing more than what Wikipedia tells me here. Is another conflict likely, now that a viable source of oil seems to have been found? If it is possible, would other countries in the region come to Argentina’s aid this time?

Anyone got the dope on this?

It’s been in the news recently - link - and there are other articles there to read.

I can’t speak for the sentiment in Argentina, but I’m British, and I can’t say I have any feelings on the matter. No one I know has been discussing it, despite recent news articles. I may feel differently if I knew more about the conflict, but I was born in 1982 - technically a war baby but obviously have no memory of it.

The British government’s attitude to this issue is pretty much mine (and I imagine most Brits’) - no transfer of the Falklands without the express permission of the Falklands people.

And they have no intention of being handed over to Argentina.

The Spanish feel the same way about Gibraltar. The Moroccans feel the same way about Ceuta and Melilla and you can find a lot of other examples.

I definitely wouldn’t expect the UK to let it go in any case.

The thing I’ve always found a bit strange is that the Falklands are neither an integral part of what would be considered Argentina proper in that they’re 100s of miles from the mainland nor has there (to my knowledge) ever been a significant Argentinian population on the islands. It’s more akin to the dispute over Rockall than the examples you’ve given.

Britain needs the Falkland Islands for strategic sheep purposes. [/Izzard]

Rockhopper’s finally found significant amounts of oil around the islands at the end of last year and aims to start production in 2016. The likelihood of the Falkland’s ever being given to Argentina in my lifetime at least is literally zero. The people there do not want to be Argentinian, the islands are strategically placed, they are by all accounts brimming with oil, and the war in the 80’s made sure that the UK’s not going to be giving them back any time soon.

The constant pestering by the Argentinian’s over this issue is pathetic. Anytime there’s a domestic problem in the country the issue gets brought up, or they ban Falkland’s flagged vessels from docking on the mainland, or some other inane shit.

Canadians don’t seem to much care about St. Pierre and Miquelon. The Argentine thing over the Falklands baffles me.

Now if the Falklands were populated by many Argentines, that would be a different matter.

It’s a lot closer to Argentina than it is to England. But it’s also a silly claim. The people there do not consider themselves to be Argentinian, and that’s what should count in this case. If England were holding them against their will, their claim to the land would be suspect as well.

My comment was a direct response to AndyLee’s about Gibraltar, Ceuta, Melilla etc. They’re at least contiguous with their claimant nations.

In the early 1800’s American sealers had a small colony on the islands. As far as I know, this settlement was destroyed by the British, ca. 1825.
What happened to OUR territorial rights?

In fact, I’d wager that most Canadians aren’t even aware of St. Pierre and Miquelon’s existence.

Argentina wanted them when the islands were worthless, obviously they’re going to continue pressing their claim now that the islands are worth a ton of money. It’s not like they’ve got much to lose.

Is the oil that has been found immediately adjacent to the islands? Or is it just in the EEZ?

oops! Not your claim is silly, Argentina’s claim is silly.

Oh I know. :wink:

Yeah, was watching Euronews today with some Argentines blithering on about British “colonialism” and oppression. Really is pathetic that they’ve swallowed the propaganda.

Ha, just wait for the Great Franco-Canadian shoving match.

It’s just the perfect political football at election time or when a gov needs to distract the public.

shrug

It’s completely normal. Is the average Briton who “knows” that the Argentinian claims are nonsense actually well educated or informed on the various issues involved? I doubt it.

People in general aren’t likely to actually investigate or question what they’re told when it comes to matters like this.

Argentinian schoolchildren get this drummed into their heads almost from day one. Maps of Argentina include the alleged political subdivisions in the South Atlantic and Antartic as if they were fully operational and recognized and it’s only later that they’re told it’s currently “occupied” by someone else.

When the UK asked about repatriating the remains of Argentine troops killed in the islands so they could be buried in Argentine soil, the reply was that they were already buried in Argentine soil. Just as Britain, Argentina feels the war makes it even harder to let go, lest it be an admission those lives were wasted (however, what I’ve read about how Malvinas veterans were handled by their society upon their return is really unflattering). However, the politicians know, those lives unwittingly bought the one most positive outcome of the '82 war: to destroy the credibility and legitimacy of the Argentine military as a governing power or as the arbiter of who governs. But what leader will ever dare say that out loud?