Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
BANNED

"Goodies" in Vinyl Albums

My thread about the "good old days" got two interesting responses for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
Vinyl albums and even some vinyl singles had cover art, and sometimes some extra goodies. For instance, Sgt. Pepper had a sheet of cut out artwork, and I think it had some other goodies as well. Now, MOST albums didn't have the extra goodies, but just the cover art on most albums was a great extra. And you just can't get that level of art goodness on a smaller package, there's not enough area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I recall that the White Album had four 8x10 portraits of the Beatles, suitable for framing; that McCartney's Wings over America had a full-size poster of the band; Elton John's Captain Fantastic included two booklets, one with lyrics and one with reprints of news clippings and photos of Elton's and Bernie's history; and that Jim Steinman's Bad for Good even included a 7" EP with the music he wanted to include in the album but that wouldn't fit on the 12" LP.

As Lynn mentioned, most albums didn't have such things, but for those that did, the extra goodies were real treats.
Since I didn't come of age in they vinyl era, what other vinyl albums had "goodies" in them. Any unusual things?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
BANNED

Most of this was before the Arab oil embargo, which drove the material cost of the disc up. But Cheech & Chong gave a giant sheet of cigarette paper. Alice Cooper had a panty in one album (Killer?) and a fold-out calendar in Muscle of Love.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Posters were common. Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends, Santana's Abraxas, Ten Years After's Watt, and most of Chicago's early albums were among those that included posters. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon contained two posters, plus a couple of stickers.

The Alice Cooper album with the panties over the disc was School's Out. Killer was, I believe, the one with the calendar.

The first pressing of Plastic Ono Band's Live Peace in Toronto included a John & Yoko calendar. The second pressing had a coupon you could send in to get the calendar.

Last edited by Biffy the Elephant Shrew; 02-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

All sort of things. The champ was the original version of the Who's Live at Leeds, which had:

A poster of the group
A copy of their contract at Woodstock*
A letter from EMI records, rejecting them as a recording act.
Typewritten lyrics to "My Generation," with handwritten notes.
A sheet showing the income and expenses for an early tour.
A letter telling them a gig was being cancelled because they weren't the type of act the venue wanted.
A list of gigs on a tour, with what they were being paid for each.
A delivery slip for fireworks
An early photo of the group
A picture of Townsend jumping up and down with his guitar at Woodstock.
Plus a few other items that I can't remember.

The first two Bonzo Dog Band Albums had booklets just a little smaller than the record sleeve with information and photos of the band.

*This showed up on Pawn Stars; they bought one thinking it was genuine.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" came with a many-paged newspaper insert. Their "Stand Up" had a pop-up of the band in the middle.

Queen's "Jazz", which included the song "Fat Bottomed Girls", came with a poster of a girls' nude bicycle race (I still have that!).

The Clash's first album briefly came with a lyric sheet (unusual for punk), which was then replaced with a 45rpm single (I have both of those).

The Who's "Quadrophenia" came with a massive foldout book (still have that too!).

Lots of posters as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM

The inner sleeve of Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" had a b&w photo of a man sitting at a bar. The careful application of a damp cloth caused some parts of the picture to become colorful (e.g. a dollar bill turned green).
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure if this counts, but Split Enz's "True Colours" was laser-etched so that spinning the album - particularly in sunlight - caused a freaky light show. It was really cool at first, but eventually became annoying.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Todd Rundgren's albums have featured a number of extras A Wizard/A True Star featured a postcard that purchasers could send in to get their names on the next album, and a printed image of a Band-Aid with a poem by Patti Smith. Todd had that poster, 10,000 names laboriously typed in by hand (this was in 1974) and screened to duplicate the cover image in shades of gray. His album Healing was a themed song suite, and the record company complained that it had no potential hit single. Todd recorded a single Time Heals and a b-side Tiny Demons that was included as a 33 1/3 RPM 7" single with the LP. The length of the single is 3:33, an ironic jab at the record companies search for singles.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM

"Dark Side of the Moon" had posters and stickers.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Oh yeah, one of Black Oak Arkansas' albums had a deed for a square inch of land in Black Oak, Arkansas.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers album had a one-page "newspaper" insert.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Not exactly extras, but the covers for the first five or six Hawkwind albums would fold out to form bigger pieces of artwork.

"In Search of Space" folded out into a cross with more artwork, photos, and lyrics. This release also included a booklet with illustrations, lyrics, and fiction.

"The Space Ritual" cover unfolded into a bigger 3 panel by 2 panel size.

"Warrior at the Edge of Time" unfolded into a shield with the symbol for "Chaos" emblazoned on it.

To EMI's credit, the CD reissues they put out in the late 90's used paper digipaks and tried to incorporate some of the same fold-outs.

Most (all?) of these covers were designed by the late great British graphic artist Barney Bubbles. He also designed a massive fold-out cover for Elvis Costello. I can't remember the name of the album off the top of my head, but there was a whole lot of artwork that went into that album.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

John and Yoko's The Wedding Album also have a variety of items, including photos, drawings, a copy of their wedding license, a picture of a piece of cake, and news clippings.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

More posters:
Ten Years After--Cricklewood Green came with a poster of Alvin Lee, Watt came with a psychedelic poster of the band.

Nilsson Schmilsson had a poster of Harry in vampire mode.

Donvan's Cosmic Wheels had a poster of him against a starfield.

Pete's Who Came First had a poster of ocean waves (I think designed by Mike McInnerney).

Odds and Sodds came with a poster of The Who in concert.

The cover of Man's Be Good To Yourself At Least Once a Day unfolded into a 2'x 2' wonderful color "Man's Map Of Wales".

Manfred Mann's The Good Earth came with a certificate good for 1 square foot of Llanerchyrfa in Wales.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Pete's Who Came First had a poster of ocean waves (I think designed by Mike McInnerney).

Odds and Sods came with a poster of The Who in concert.
What!? I just checked and neither of mine had posters, dammit. I did find a couple of Who bootlegs I'd forgotten about...I really need to do something about converting those.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Brian Eno's Before And After Science had 4 11"x6" offset prints by artist Peter Schmidt.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-17-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes the album itself was a goodie. Dave Mason's Alone Together was originally pressed on multicolored vinyl. It also had a fold out cover. Here's the reverse side.

Jethro Tull's Stand up featured a popup.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM

In a slightly different vein, Cheech and Chong's comedy album Big Bamboo had a giant rolling paper. It took a couple of ounce of homegrown leaf to fill.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM

There are some things unique to vinyl that can't be duplicated on CDs:

1. One of the Beatles albums had an infinite run out groove. In other words, an album side ended in an audio loop that would play forever.

2. Mastering engineers would sometimes hand carve a few words of commentary onto the record.

3. One issue of Mad Magazine had a flexi-disc that told a funny story with a few minor variations. The needle would jump at certain points and take one of two possible paths.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon contained two posters, plus a couple of stickers.
I still have the blue pyramid poster on the wall of a disused bedroom. Might have been there for 20 years, possibly longer.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Old KISS records had tons of stuff. Alive II came with a photo book and a sheet of temporary tattoos, both of which were included in the remastered cd. Love Gun came with this, and Double Platinum came with this. When they did their solo albums in 1978, each one came with a poster, which all fit together like a puzzle to form one large picture.

And of course the Dead Kennedys Frankenchrist came with a poster.

Last edited by Harvey The Heavy; 02-18-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 AM

I miss the lyrics that came with the album.
Yes, I know we can all Google them now.
But the visceral joy of sitting with the album cover and listening to the songs and being able to sing along with them.
Hard to beat.

And Big Bamboo?
It works MUCH better when quartered.

Just sayin'

Last edited by Gagundathar; 02-18-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the awesome artwork on some of these albums.
Here is classic example:
Terra
and
Mars

Incidentally, one of the truly brilliant works by ELO.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about the awesome artwork on some of these albums.
Here is classic example:
Terra
and
Mars

Incidentally, one of the truly brilliant works by ELO.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Awakening.jpg

Roger Dean!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
That is wonderful! Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
3. One issue of Mad Magazine had a flexi-disc that told a funny story with a few minor variations. The needle would jump at certain points and take one of two possible paths.
That's not actually how it worked. There were 6 (8?) concentric spiral grooves, all ending at the same runout. Each groove was a separate recording, but when the recording was first made, the first part of each was the same. There was no way of telling which one you were listening to until the end, where they were different.

The needle would be put down randomly, and followed that groove to the end.

As you might imagine, each song was very short, and the grooves were mastered with fixed pitch (constant distance between grooves).

And I think the disc was made by Eva-Tone Soundsheets, which did many flexible plastic disks that were often bound in magazines and could be torn out to play.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

One Rocky Horror Picture Show sound track album was a "picture disc" that my younger self thought was pretty cool.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

The Ex's Aural Guerilla came with a big newsprint-paper foldout with all sorts of stuff printed on it - I think it folded out to 12 times the size of an album cover - and also a cassette-sized card of the album cover so you could copy it to cassette tape and use it as cover for it.
Their 7" single of Spanish Civil War songs, 1936 - The Spanish Revolution, was a gatefold sleeve with maybe 100 pages of photos of the war bound in. Might even have been a double single, I'd have to check.

The Rockpile lp, Seconds of Pleasure, had a 7" floppy disc on the cover of Edmunds & Lowe doing Everly Brothers covers. The songs are now just added in to the cd release, I believe.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Geez, who knew what I was missing?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The first pressing of Plastic Ono Band's Live Peace in Toronto included a John & Yoko calendar. The second pressing had a coupon you could send in to get the calendar.
I seem to recall that Lennon's 'Imagine' album having a 1971 calendar as well. I bought a copy in 1982 (and I have no idea if it was a reissue or not) which included it, and lucky me, it worked for '82.

And the White Album, in addition to the 8x10's, also had a two sided poster, with the lyrics on one side and assorted photos on the other. (I always thought they were the pictures that were originally intended for the album jacket)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
I seem to recall that Lennon's 'Imagine' album having a 1971 calendar as well.
I've never heard of that, and it would be strange to include a 1971 calendar in an album that was released when the year was mostly over. What I do remember being packaged with Imagine was a postcard-sized photo of John holding a pig by the ears, making fun of Paul's recent Ram album cover.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

According to Wikipedia, Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief comedy album originally came with a real tie and handkerchief and was distributed through menswear stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchi...d_Handkerchief

I can't confirm that because my copy didn't come with any clothing and I purchased it in a place you would typically purchase an album. The inclusion of an actual tie and handkerchief is believable, but the claim that it was distributed in clothing stores seems questionable to me.

I can, however, confirm that the B side had two grooves so that you would hear one of two different sets of sketches depending on where the needle landed.

I remember that the second or third time I listened to the album I thought "that doesn't sound familiar, didn't I play the second side before"?

Years later, a coworker mentioned that Matching Tie and Handkerchief had two grooves on the B side, and a light bulb went on in my head.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 AM

The Who's "Live at Leeds" was the first one that came to mind. Jeez, but there was a pile of crap that came with that album (fun, though).

Much as I have enjoyed vinyl albums, I have to acknowledge that CDs (especially box sets) often come with special goodies. My "Brain In A Box" (which a nice spouselette got me for Xmas) has a great design resembling a brain in preservative, and has a neat mini-book on the subject of sci-fi and horror music/movies/comics etc.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Re: Live At Leeds--like the guy in Pawn Stars, a coworker gave me a copy of the Woodstock contract that he "discovered" in the LP bin of a Goodwill Store. He was so excited, I hated to break the news to him.

The Kinks album Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) came with an insert of Queen Victoria.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I've never heard of that, and it would be strange to include a 1971 calendar in an album that was released when the year was mostly over. What I do remember being packaged with Imagine was a postcard-sized photo of John holding a pig by the ears, making fun of Paul's recent Ram album cover.
You're right. So maybe it was Plastic Ono Band that had the calendar; that was originally released in December 1970, which would make more sense.

I do remember I got it in 1982, and the 1971 calendar is the same.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
That's not actually how it worked. There were 6 (8?) concentric spiral grooves, all ending at the same runout. Each groove was a separate recording, but when the recording was first made, the first part of each was the same. There was no way of telling which one you were listening to until the end, where they were different.
Thank you for the correction. Fascinating. Do you know if it was ever done for music on vinyl as opposed to a Flexi disc?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
And Big Bamboo?
It works MUCH better when quartered.

Just sayin'

But only an eighth as much fun.
True, it didn't work very well, but we were already enhanced.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Do you know if it was ever done for music on vinyl as opposed to a Flexi disc?
They're At The Post, for one, consisted of a set of four LPs of an announcer giving commentary on horse races. Each of the eight races (one per LP side) had an unpredictable outcome depending on which parallel groove the needle happened to slip into.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Back before automation, or rather before small pressing companies automated.

If you look on the inside of the disk, at the end of the music around the label, people will write stuff.

Usually its a pressed number or something to do with manufacturing.

But, occasionally people will write goofy shit while they inspect albums on the assembly line.

I noticed this first on the Go Go's albums and recent 45 from the 80's.

IRS Records may have printed their own at the time. There were others, but I cant remember what labels they were.

(i have the original colored dot Led Zep and the Beatles with the cutouts...used to have the big ass rolling paper from cheech n chong... )

Last edited by Jamicat; 02-18-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
They're At The Post, for one, consisted of a set of four LPs of an announcer giving commentary on horse races.
Cool. I'm still wondering if this was done with music with alternate takes of a song. Perhaps the sound quality or cost made this impractical.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Venus and Mars by Wings had a couple of posters and stickers. I've still got it somewhere by I can't for the life of me remember where I've stored all my vinyl.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool. I'm still wondering if this was done with music with alternate takes of a song. Perhaps the sound quality or cost made this impractical.
Sound quality would be the same as a single groove (the multiple groves are the same width and depth as a single groove), and the cost would also be about the same. It would take a little extra work to create the multiple grooves on the master copy, but pressing the record would cost no more than a regular one.

The bigger issue is that, for most records, there's no reason to do it. You want buyers to hear all the songs. Multiple grooves would also lead to a shorter playing time (since the space on the LP was constrained).
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Either Hemispheres or 2112 (by Rush) was a translucent red vinyl. I had it but it warped horribly.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The bigger issue is that, for most records, there's no reason to do it. You want buyers to hear all the songs. Multiple grooves would also lead to a shorter playing time (since the space on the LP was constrained).
Imagine a single (a 45) with different lyrics or different mixes of the same song.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamicat View Post
But, occasionally people will write goofy shit while they inspect albums on the assembly line.
That's not how the inner groove messages got there. They were inscribed by the cutting engineer who made the master disc from which the final product is duplicated (after a series of intermediate steps). One of the most famous inner groove messages is "A Porky Prime Cut," the slogan of George "Porky" Peckham.

Your Go-Go's LP said "Is this record a pencil or a beer can," right?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Anyone remember what was inscribed in the deadwax of the six sides of The Clash's Sandinista!?

SPOILER:
Side 1: "In space . . ."
Side 2: "no one . . ."
Side 3: "can . . . "
Side 4: "hear . . ."
Side 5: "you . . ."
Side 6: "CLASH!"

My favorite deadwax inscription was on Joe Ely's Live Shots!:

Side 1: "How to keep an aggie fascinated for 3 hours? See other side"
Side 2: "How to keep an aggie fascinated for 3 hours? See other side"

One of the cool things about The Beatles in Mono, the CD box set of all of the Beatles' UK releases through the White Album in mono, is that they reproduced the packaging for all the albums (albeit at CD size), including all of the goodies like the cutout insert in Sgt. Peppers, the booklet in Magical Mystery Tour, the poster/lyric sheet and picture cards in the White Album, etc.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 PM

I remember buying a 45 of a certain Dead Kennedys song that had a bandana or something, a weird piece of cloth at least.
Here we go. http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/sto...idcategory=348

I have a copy of Big Bambu with the rolling paper. It actually has a picture of Cheech and Chong printed on it also, I am amazed that thing survived my younger years.

Last edited by MaltLiquor; 02-18-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 AM

The front artwork on Rick Wakeman's 1976 LP No Earthly Connection was warped, but became un-warped when viewed with the included foil mirror, rolled and placed in the center.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltLiquor View Post
I remember buying a 45 of a certain Dead Kennedys song that had a bandana or something, a weird piece of cloth at least.
Here we go. http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/sto...idcategory=348
I sewed that armband on to an old jean jacket I used to wear.

At the time I was living in a rundown area next to a flophouse. My neighbors, who would often hang out on the front porch of the house, saw me with the armband, but didn't see the "NO" part of the symbol, they only saw the swastika.

They went from being very friendly, to hurling abuse at me overnight. I couldn't figure it out! These guys were all drunks, but they were still pretty intimidating, especially since there was a whole group of them. The situation was not cool.

One day while walking (very quickly) by the house I see that there's only one guy on the porch, an older guy who had previously been friendly with me. I asked him what was wrong and he says "we liked you up until we learned you were a fuckin' nazi".

I explained that I wasn't and showed him the armband and the "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" slogan, and that smoothed things over right then and there. But it was a very stressful week.

So um... yeah. The Dead Kennedys "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" 7" came with an armband. I can attest to this fact.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 AM

Goodies, vinyl albums.

Ducks and runs.